Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
i happened to somehow pop it out and in the process one of the little tabs on the back of it broke.
it sorta stays in but falls out occasionally now. its quite annoying.
could i get a new one from apple or am i gonna have to go switch it with one of the computers at the local store or what?
any suggestions?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
what kind of computer is it? I know for iBook's you can order the individual keys and spring online for $5-$7 bucks. I know apple does give/sell the individual keys at all evne with applecare. If you call there and ask they will offer to send a whole new keyboard or atleast thats my experience

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
Re: how would i go about getting a new "T" button?

Originally posted by evil
i happened to somehow pop it out and in the process one of the little tabs on the back of it broke.
it sorta stays in but falls out occasionally now. its quite annoying.
could i get a new one from apple or am i gonna have to go switch it with one of the computers at the local store or what?
any suggestions?

Well I really bet that apple would be able to replace the T. I, personally, would wait a bit and see if they do come out with the rumored new keyboard and mouse and then decide what to do.... Or is this in a laptop? Ah well. I think you probably SHOULDN'T replace it with one from a local store for two reasons:
1. It wouldn't be very honest and it might make people looking at the computer not buy it or even any mac for feer of the keyboards on all macs having this problem.
2. You might damage THAT key and not gain anything and loose the store a key. Not good for anybody....

altivec 2003

macrumors regular
Feb 8, 2003
Texas
its a 12 inch powerbook.
thanks for the advice.
the damn thing should be free.
Sorry, I posted to soon to see your response. I guess you shouldn't wait for a new keyboard and mouse. You still shouldn't, imho, get a key from the apple store!

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
Originally posted by altivec 2003
Sorry, I posted to soon to see your response. I guess you shouldn't wait for a new keyboard and mouse. You still shouldn't, imho, get a key from the apple store!
i agree with you . i dont want to do that. i was more joking then anything.

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
thanks!

ok i talked to them.
they will cover it and instead of just sending me a new T key they want me to send them my whole computer so they can replace the keyboard.
weird enough.

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
I pulled the "R" off my ibook once. Applecare sent me a whole new keyboard. I suppose the ibook keyboard must be easier to replace than the powerbook. You have to remove the ibook keyboard anyway to add extra ram or an airport card.

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
thanks!

ok i talked to them.
they will cover it and instead of just sending me a new T key they want me to send them my whole computer so they can replace the keyboard.
weird enough.

i told you :) the problem is if it happens again they won't replace it for you or atleast thats what i was told. I guess thats the price for whats considered a better keyboard :) you coudl always rig one up yourself if your so inclined

evil

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 2, 2003
chicago ex-toronto
Originally posted by Kwyjibo
i told you :) the problem is if it happens again they won't replace it for you or atleast thats what i was told. I guess thats the price for whats considered a better keyboard :) you coudl always rig one up yourself if your so inclined

rig one up myself? what are you talking about?

Kwyjibo

macrumors 68040
Nov 5, 2002
rig one up myself? what are you talking about?

i'm not sure what i'm talking about but be creative or try and fix it for a while yourself, loosing your machien for a week sucks. If you don't want to do that send it in i guess

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.