Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
What does the i stand for?

Attachments

• Picture 1.png
    Picture 1.png
    92.9 KB · Views: 146

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
yea theres so many non-apple products with i in front

Hmmm....but would people have started putting "i" behind every product name if Apple didn't do it? This naming method is so "Apple" that anyone else who does it is obviously copying. I know they're not doing anything illegal under the law, but the common person can see that these other companies are obviously riding the Apple wave.

Rodimus Prime

macrumors G4
Oct 9, 2006
Hmmm....but would people have started putting "i" behind every product name if Apple didn't do it? This naming method is so "Apple" that anyone else who does it is obviously copying. I know they're not doing anything illegal under the law, but the common person can see that these other companies are obviously riding the Apple wave.

That will come to bit apple in the rear. Because apple never tried to protect the i they lose the right to call it their trademark. Since you are required to protect it by law if you want to keep it and apple never did so they lose the right to call it their own.

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
apple own "i"? they might have innovative marketing, they didn't invent letters.

MattyMac

macrumors 68000
Oct 6, 2005
NJ/NYC
Anyone who uses the letter "i" before a product is definitely riding apple's shirt tail. They are using the excellence of the iPod name to try and sell their product.

I think the letter "i" before a product name should belong to :apple:

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
Anyone who uses the letter "i" before a product is definitely riding apple's shirt tail. They are using the excellence of the iPod name to try and sell their product.

for one thing, Cisco's sub company's iPhone was before apple's iPod.
u cant judge other products just because right now there is an iPod, lol, check back history, i m sure u can find many "i"products. apple didn't invent "i", and apple didn't patent "i".

dadsp33k

macrumors regular
Jan 26, 2007
Parkville, MD

i think it's pretty brave of you to make such a broad statement. in my case, this is certainly not true. we choose iTourneys to mean internet tournaments for online multiplayer gamin. apple had nothing to do with it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.