Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Hello everyone

I have a big problem. I suddenly deleted SSD and i wanted to install Big Sur again a couple hours ago. But when i try (SSD) erase, it says ;

“Erase process has failed. Click Done to continue “

Then i tried terminal. “ diskutil unmountDisk force dev/disk0 etc.”

It also doesn’t erase or create new one. It says again;

“ Forced unmount of disk0 failed: at least one volume couldn’t be unmounted
Unmount was dissented by PID 0 ( kernel_task) . There is another but i don’t remember rn. Also SSD is red. You can see in pic.

MBP M1 16. I couldn’t find any solutions until now

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    373 KB · Views: 4,471

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
How did you "suddenly" delete the SSD?
You're not meant to erase the SSD in this way on a M1 Mac.
There are new(ish) Apple instructions on how to do that.
Please show a current Disk Utility window

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
How did you "suddenly" delete the SSD?
Please show a current Disk Utility window

here;

i think i clicked “Delete mac” in icloud instead of other part.Because you know, in M1 , you can’t format without delete device

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    312.2 KB · Views: 1,802

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
I amended my first post slightly.
Your volumes appear to be there on the bar display but nothing is showing in the left pane for them.
Why did you want to erase the disc?
Disk Utility is not really the way you want to do that on a M1 Mac.
What do you see if you try to boot the computer?

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
I amended my first post slightly.
Your volumes appear to be there on the bar display but nothing is showing in the left pane for them.
Why did you want to erase the disc?
Disk Utility is not really the way you want to do that on a M1 Mac.
What do you see if you try to boot the computer?
I said because of this;( there is no disc. That’s why i wanted to erase). I had learned later some instructions changed by Apple.
As you can see below, i need SSD to install.

and when i boot, i see second pic

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    315.5 KB · Views: 407
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    258 KB · Views: 579

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
When following those instructions? Or previously?
What does it say?
Instructions tells me for example; step 1 ..... but there is no SSD disk and removable part. Mac sees the SSD but not authorised to erased. That means i am stucked again. (Mac doesn’t create a new part for SSD) Normally, ppl click erase button and reinstall Big Sur, Issue done . Also Mac says create disk for me , i don’t see anything.

( Same Problem in pics as always btw...)

step 1;

1. Click Erase Mac in the window that opens, then click Erase Mac again to confirm. When done, your Mac restarts automatically
It is easy to tell that by Apple. If my laptop had done that, i couldn’t have had problem

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
That is what I feared.
Maybe one of the other options will work.
To be honest I'd phone Apple Support as you must be within 90 days of buying it, telling them what you've done and see what they say. They may ask if you have another Mac or give you instructions to use the terminal.
I'm sure it's fixable as others have done it. Don't worry too much :)

mwidjaya

macrumors 6502
Feb 25, 2004
Australia
i think i clicked “Delete mac” in icloud instead of other part.Because you know, in M1 , you can’t format without delete device
I am unclear how remote wipe can be done accidentally.

It is a multi-step process with password confirmation and all. Not like Amazon's patented Buy now with 1-Click.

Zazoh

macrumors 68000
Jan 4, 2009
San Antonio, Texas
If you are in Disk Utility you are doing it wrong.

Recover M1 Mac

1. Power off the M1
2. Press and hold the power button to enter recovery mode
3. Click the Options icon and then press continue
4. In the upper left corner select Recovery Assistant
5. In that drop down menu, select Erase Mac
6. Follow the on-screen steps from there

Requires WiFi
Bare install

Reactions: Onmybikedrunk

Quackers

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2013
Manchester, UK
If you are in Disk Utility you are doing it wrong.

Recover M1 Mac

1. Power off the M1
2. Press and hold the power button to enter recovery mode
3. Click the Options icon and then press continue
4. In the upper left corner select Recovery Assistant
5. In that drop down menu, select Erase Mac
6. Follow the on-screen steps from there

Requires WiFi
Bare install
Erase Mac doesn't work because it doesn't see the drive, apparently.

Reactions: Zazoh

snakes-

macrumors 6502
Jul 27, 2011
Sometimes you only must mount and select the start volume after resetting some things......

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
I had the same issue, after a while I gave up. Nothing seemed to work.

Luckily, I had another Mac at home. If you do, you can connect it with USB-C (your charging cable will do), run Apple Configurator 2 on the other Mac, and then it's quite easy.

But without a second Mac, I'm not sure how you can do it.

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
i called Apple Support and i said what i did about Mac to him (Terminal code etc..) . He said that it seems you did everything. You need to take your Mac to Store. I need second Mac. This error is so awkward. Why did apple do that? So interesting.

Last edited:

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
I had the same issue, after a while I gave up. Nothing seemed to work.

Luckily, I had another Mac at home. If you do, you can connect it with USB-C (your charging cable will do), run Apple Configurator 2 on the other Mac, and then it's quite easy.

But without a second Mac, I'm not sure how you can do it.
i will go to store for second Mac tomorrow if i don't solve it today.

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
First of all, I wanna thank all of you guys for all your comments. I had gone store to fix it with Apple Configurator 2. It solved directly. I asked if I want to recovery, how may I do? They said; You will have to do;

1)Show all under of SSD ( Normally, you don't see.)
2) Create ex-FAT or another format type.
3)When your mac creates step 2. Then erase it after created. Now, You can create APFS one.
4)Create APFS and issue done.
5)If you want to, use Apple configurator 2 or after step 4 you can install macOS Big Sur again directly.

( if you don't do this, it probably doesn't show you SSD, like there is no SSD .)

That's it. I hope nobody will encounter such a problem.

Have a good day...

otrabeats

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
First of all, I wanna thank all of you guys for all your comments. I had gone store to fix it with Apple Configurator 2. It solved directly. I asked if I want to recovery, how may I do? They said; You will have to do;

1)Show all under of SSD ( Normally, you don't see.)
2) Create ex-FAT or another format type.
3)When your mac creates step 2. Then erase it after created. Now, You can create APFS one.
4)Create APFS and issue done.
5)If you want to, use Apple configurator 2 or after step 4 you can install macOS Big Sur again directly.

( if you don't do this, it probably doesn't show you SSD, like there is no SSD .)

That's it. I hope nobody will encounter such a problem.

Have a good day...
Hi my friend has had the same problem, his sister gave him her laptop as she bought a pink one and he went on to iCloud and deleted his account causing it to restart the laptop, but when he wanted to erase the SSD and create a new one it show the same error -68977.
I tried this steps but doesn't let me create a partition to later erase it as you said.
Man it would be so helpful if you can show some pics of the steps to take, my friend is losing his mind.

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Hi my friend has had the same problem, his sister gave him her laptop as she bought a pink one and he went on to iCloud and deleted his account causing it to restart the laptop, but when he wanted to erase the SSD and create a new one it show the same error -68977.
I tried this steps but doesn't let me create a partition to later erase it as you said.
Man it would be so helpful if you can show some pics of the steps to take, my friend is losing his mind.

Firstly, This problem is so bad. It happens if we delete from iCloud delete all. But it is so easy to solve. You see the solution but Our eyes do not realize it. While I was solving this, I had said " Enough, I am going to closest pc service ". When I went to, The man who taught me solution said ;

You have to click show all device from up ( or Command + 2 )
After that, you see the tab of devices. I think the Name was "container". I don't remember because of my native language

Then You have to create one partition of disk from (+ and -)... Click + and Choose any of them but not APFS. Divide the disk (like %50-50) or randomly. Here The MacBook gives a response to create successfully. After delete the disk again and choose APFS this time. Then continue with Reinstall macOS Big Sur.

otrabeats

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Thank you for your response, the problem is that that container disk doesn't show under the APPLE SSD, even after clicking on show all devices, it only shows under the Disk Images tab. I might try Apple configurator 2 at this point.
IMG_2079.jpg

HandK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 17, 2020
Thank you for your response, the problem is that that container disk doesn't show under the APPLE SSD, even after clicking on show all devices, it only shows under the Disk Images tab. I might try Apple configurator 2 at this point.
View attachment 1715210

Could you please try to Partition first on APPLE SSD AP0256Q? Make it ex-Fat or other.

otrabeats

macrumors newbie
Jan 14, 2021
Could you please try to Partition first on APPLE SSD AP0256Q? Make it ex-Fat or other.
I ended up using apple configurator 2, it was pretty easy, didn’t wanna try it because i got lost with the instructions, but found a video and it was very quickly with a second mac. Thank you though.

Reactions: Shmas
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.