Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
I’ve been frustrated with the iPod Touch ever since I got it. I’m a veteran Classic user. But obviously I don’t know how this operates and the documents I’ve found just don’t make sense me. I’m trying to update some playlists. First off they’re not showing up. The music is on my Mac Pro 1,7 running Monterey 12.6. I connect with usb but the playlists don’t come up on the iPod. I go through and make sure the files are downloaded and not icloud. AND I’m not interested in using music from icloud, as convenient as it maybe at times. I want the music on the Mac and downloaded to to iPod.

When I go to sync I see checkbox and no option for “Entire Music Library” or “Selected artists, albums,playlists” etc. Just sync.

So I’m missing something here. I’ve tried loading it from the finder as well as from the Music app. No difference.

Help.

Grumpus

macrumors 6502
Jan 17, 2021
You have to use Finder to sync the music and playlists that the Music.app maintains. When the iPod is selected in the Finder sidebar (on the left) you're initially shown the General tab. Click the Music tab and you should be able to select the 'Sync music' checkbox. Clicking Apply (lower right) should cause the sync to proceed. If I've misunderstood your problem, please post a screenshot of what you're actually seeing.
Screen Shot 2023-01-16 at 7.18.57 AM.png

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
You have to use Finder to sync the music and playlists that the Music.app maintains. When the iPod is selected in the Finder sidebar (on the left) you're initially shown the General tab. Click the Music tab and you should be able to select the 'Sync music' checkbox. Clicking Apply (lower right) should cause the sync to proceed. If I've misunderstood your problem, please post a screenshot of what you're actually seeing.
View attachment 2142970

Thank you. I will check this out later. I’m pretty sure this is what I did but I’ll check it out again tomorrow and post a screenshot if I haven’t done anything really stupid.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Sorry it's been so long. I've apparently unsuccessfully attempted to disable the iCloud Music Library, but this is what I see.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.38.10 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2023-01-23 at 3.38.10 PM.png
    47.3 KB · Views: 77

retta283

Suspended
Jun 8, 2018
You must disable it on the iPod itself in settings -> Music. I myself never subscribed to iTunes Match or Apple Music so I cannot see this option, but it is there apparently. Touches are a bit out of my wheelhouse.

If this is a used iPod, it may need restored as sometimes in older iOS versions things remain very stubborn even once an iCloud account is unlinked.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
You must disable it on the iPod itself in settings -> Music. I myself never subscribed to iTunes Match or Apple Music so I cannot see this option, but it is there apparently. Touches are a bit out of my wheelhouse.

If this is a used iPod, it may need restored as sometimes in older iOS versions things remain very stubborn even once an iCloud account is unlinked.

Thank you. I don’t know what iTunes Match is and I don’t subscribe to Apple Music or any streaming services if that’s what they are. It’s not used. It’s probably my 7th iPod and my first Touch. I just always had the classics. No need for streaming or iCloud stuff or internet. I just like having my music on my phone.

Reactions: Scepticalscribe

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Since Monterey is a supported MacOS, do what I did: Call Apple Support.

Things changed in Monterey and the tech was most helpful in walking me through it. What used to be in one location (iTunes) is now in two: Apple Music and the Locations sidebar as shown by Grumpus. Everything still works but you need to know where to find what.

If you get the question tree, you have a MacOS Monterey issue — which is correct.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Thanks Mike. Good idea. I’m about to do that. I still haven’t resolved this issue. ARGGH. And I wait until the last minute. Getting ready to travel. Bought a bunch of new music. Now the playlist won’t load. Same problem. Support here I go.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Ok. This is total BS. I love the old iTunes. Apparently something changed. I did find the settings on the iPod for disengaging cloud music. BUT UNLIKE the old iPod and iTunes updating or syncing doesn’t delete the deselected music from your iPod. Support says I have to delete songs or albums individually from the iPod itself. That’d take forever. So it won’t sync NOW because there’s not enough memory. Argh. I suppose I can reset the iPod to erase it and start all over again?

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Apologies for the BS comment above. Support wasn’t very helpful. She didn’t really understand how to fix the issue. Then a follow up email had a link to continue support for this issue but the link took me to start all over again with no reference to the problem. Man. Apple Apple. Get it together.

• Sad
Reactions: mikehalloran

redAPPLE

macrumors 68030
May 7, 2002
2 Much Infinite Loops
hi. i wanted to create a new post, then i saw this thread. i have the same problem.

i am on high sierra (10.13.6). iPod touch (2. gen) cannot sync playlists. i guess i tried everything possible (restarted mac, restarted ipod, restored ipod). itunes shows that the there should be music on the ipod. the ipod shows it has no music (did not sync). and on itunes, the music on the ipod are grayed out... i included screenshots.

any help would be appreciated. thanks.

Attachments

• itouch1.png
    itouch1.png
    25.9 KB · Views: 63
  • itouch2.png
    itouch2.png
    87.7 KB · Views: 70

mikehalloran

macrumors 68020
Oct 14, 2018
The Sillie Con Valley
Apologies for the BS comment above. Support wasn’t very helpful. She didn’t really understand how to fix the issue. Then a follow up email had a link to continue support for this issue but the link took me to start all over again with no reference to the problem. Man. Apple Apple. Get it together.
Did support ask you to share your screen?

A knowledgeable tech, looking at your sidebar, should be able to show you where things are and how to make it happen. As soon as I saw it, I got it. The old functions are still there; you just need to know where to find them now.

Send me a message, I can show you on a Zoom call with both of us taking turns screen sharing. It really is easy once you see how.

machenryr

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jan 25, 2016
Yeah. The last tech support I shared my screen with. It kind of helped but ultimately no. I deleted some unused apps but only freed up 3 gb. Additionally I deleted 1.7 gb of podcasts. Freed up space should’ve been more than enough to load the songs from my TWO PLAYLISTS. But no. He didn’t answer the question I had asked: how to delete the songs on the iPod Touch when syncing from my Mac Pro?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.