Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Just looking for some insight. I have a Macbook Air (Retina, 13 inch, 2019) 1.6 GHz Dual-Core Intel Core i5 with 16GB Memory.
I just upgraded to Big Sur 11.7.5 everything seems to be running fine.... But, now I am getting the upgrade now prompt,, to macOS Ventura 13.3
I am a little hesitate to click the "Upgrade Now" button..... is it better to wait or do the upgrade now??

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
Ventura didn't work out for me so I went back to Monterey. Unless Ventura have some functionality you really need I would suggest staying on Big Sur.

Reactions: Patrice Brousseau

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Ventura didn't work out for me so I went back to Monterey. Unless Ventura have some functionality you really need I would suggest staying on Big Sur.
That's what I was thinking.... If it ain't broke,, why mess with it... lol I crossed my fingers when I updated to Big Sur 11.7.5 but, so far it seems to be working OK with no problems... I am always nervous when it comes to updates...lol
I'm not a computer genius, so if something goes wrong..... it can be very frustrating,, messing around to get things working again.... Thank-you for your input

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
I would absolutely upgrade in your situation. It's the only way to be on top of all the security updates. Make backups before you dive in.

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
are you saying that Big Sur 11.7.5 is going to stop getting security updates???

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
Apple only do full point updates for the last 3 OSes. The current one and the two before that. Big Sur is going to stop getting these updates when the successor to Ventura comes out - probably in October thus year - and Monterey becomes the 'two versions old' macOS.

Security updates are currently provided for two further older versions so you should be alright for two further years on Big Sur if you really want to stick with it.

Your Intel MBA has 16Gb RAM so it should perform ok with Ventura which admittedly is quite the step change from Monterey - the latest MacOS has more of the headline features that Apple announce.

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
First, I would like to Thank-you for the info as well as your time for the response to my thread... I do run time machine to an external drive, so I guess that I have a back-up... I have never had to restore to a previous version before, after an update.. That is why I am hesitant about upgrading,, I am not a computer wizard, if I run into problems,, "I have real problems" lol, lol
Question, if I do the Ventura 13.3 upgrade.. Would it be easy to restore back to what I have now...?? with time machine...

Pecka

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2022
Security updates are currently provided for two further older versions so you should be alright for two further years on Big Sur if you really want to stick with it.
I thought every macOS version stops getting security updates 3 years after release, which will be this autumn for Big Sur?

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
I thought every macOS version stops getting security updates 3 years after release, which will be this autumn for Big Sur?
Actually, you're probably right there - lost track round about the time of waiting for Catalina updates to finish for my 2012 Mini. This Arstechnica note recommends updating to the very latest OS at all times because not every security match is fixed for the older OSes. Must try and remember not to post while sleepy.

My point about Big Sur remains though, updates will be ending this year - probably October - for that OS.

sublunar

macrumors 68020
Jun 23, 2007
First, I would like to Thank-you for the info as well as your time for the response to my thread... I do run time machine to an external drive, so I guess that I have a back-up... I have never had to restore to a previous version before, after an update.. That is why I am hesitant about upgrading,, I am not a computer wizard, if I run into problems,, "I have real problems" lol, lol
Question, if I do the Ventura 13.3 upgrade.. Would it be easy to restore back to what I have now...?? with time machine...
I haven't had to roll back from a Time Machine upgrade so don't take my word for it but I believe it's feasible to roll back in Time Machine. I usually wait until the next OS is fairly mature before upgrading anyway but I am using Ventura on a MacBook Pro and it's fine - some people may not like the completely different iOS style settings preferences panels though.

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
Oh yeah, it's easy to restore from a time machine backup. Make a Big Sur installer on a USB drive that you can boot up from by holding option during startup. Instead of Install Big Sur, you'll select Restore from Time Machine Backup, and it would load your computer up to the exact state it was in before you upgraded the OS.

*edit*
So I just learned that Time Machine restores are no longer possible on Big Sur like they were on Catalina. You have to reinstall the OS and then use Migration Assistant.

Last edited:

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
question??? Before I do the upgrade to macOS Ventura 13.3 should I disconnect my external hard drive that has my time machine back up on???

davidlv

macrumors 68020
Apr 5, 2009
Kyoto, Japan
are you saying that Big Sur 11.7.5 is going to stop getting security updates???
There is so much incomplete info here. Ventura is the only OS that gets all of the security updates, Monterey and Big Sur get some but not all of them. Apple releases that information when they announce the updates.see https://www.xlr8yourmac.com/
which shows,; 58 security patches for Ventura, 27 for Monterey and 25 for Big Sur.
So if the hardware will support it Ventura is the safer choice.

Reactions: Insidious

Insidious

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2017
question??? Before I do the upgrade to macOS Ventura 13.3 should I disconnect my external hard drive that has my time machine back up on???
I recommend unplugging externals so you don't accidentally format or install onto them.

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
Thank-you for the info as well as your time for the response to my thread.. I decided to cross my fingers and go for the upgrade to macOS Ventura and hope it goes off without any problems.... or should I say "goes in and installs without any problems,,, lol I unplugged all externals as you recommenced... and am in the process of installing as I type... I'll do another post with the outcome .......

Reactions: Insidious

PhilsAir

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Mar 30, 2023
So far so good.... I'm happy to announce that I am now running macOS Ventura 13.3.1 everything seems to be working.... I reconnected my external hard drive and did my first back up on time machine.... I would like to thank all of you guys for your support and time spent in response to my thread.... Have a "Very Good Mac Day Everybody"

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.