Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
now I have a pair of audio technica's in addition to my senn's and i can honestly say that for half the price the audio's sound better than the beats, and do not need the noise canceling or a built in amp either. I have my usb amp and with that on it will put the beats under the table by far, in terms our loudness and overall quality with multiple types of music. I understand a whole lot of professionals put they're two cents into the beats and everything, but I will never go back.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
It should be noted here that pedestrian deaths are up 300%, in the last 4 years, due to people wearing noise-cancelling earphones/earbuds.

If you must use them, make sure you aren't walking/driving.

Do you mean the number of pedestrians killed in traffic wearing them has increased 300 %? Because an increase of 300 % of the total number of pedestrians being killed in traffic is enormous, and if that increase is only due to people wearing these products, they would be banned by now...

Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead (heh) riding a bike in traffic listening to music...

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
I don't know why everyone knocks the Beats so much, but I received a pair of Sennheiser HD 598's today to compare to the Beats Studio's I have. I am not impressed with the Sen's so far. I thought the noise leak on the Beats was bad... wrong, the sen's are not to be listened to in a quiet area. And in no way is that a good review. I mean all the way up they sound distorted, lose bass, and EVERYONE can hear what I am listening to. I even hooked them up to a FiiO10 and the beats impressed me even more! I can say I do like the look and feel of the 598's, but as far as sound, maybe I need a huge amp and some proferssional equipment. Not what I was looking for. I don't like the way everyone promotes Beats as a fashion statement, but I will continue to use the headphones because they sound good without requiring extra power. I still have to put them to the test to be sure though, so I will give it a chance.

EDIT: Open Vs. Closed Headphones

The 598s are Openback and designed to be used with an Amp (High RMS Value). Of course you're going to get sound leakage, poor bass and distortion. Of course they're going to be quieter than the beats. Speaking at a technical level, the Senns have better quality drivers than the beats, but they also have higher requirements to go with it.

All this post reeks of is you not knowing audio equipment very well.

Last edited:

Abstract

macrumors Penryn
Dec 27, 2002
Location Location Location
When people say that something is "good" or "bad", it's almost always relative to its price. People say that Ford fiestas are good cars, but that's not when compared to $1m supercars.

I have tried the Beats Solo, but not the regular pair, or the professional pair. They sound better than a $50 pair, but not as good as their price. If I want small, portable headphones that look pretty but sound bad when considering price, I'd probably get the Klipsch Image Ones. They don't sound better, and I don't remember if they're cheaper, but they look better than the Beats IMO.

Zombie Acorn

macrumors 65816
Feb 2, 2009
Toronto, Ontario
As long as they keep your ****** music in your ears and not mine I have no problem with these headphones. Don't expect me to be impressed because you paid 300 dollars for a b on the side of a headphone set though.

People listen to their music way too loud in public areas and its really annoying.

eric/

Sep 19, 2011
Ohio, United States
As long as they keep your ****** music in your ears and not mine I have no problem with these headphones. Don't expect me to be impressed because you paid 300 dollars for a b on the side of a headphone set though.

People listen to their music way too loud in public areas and its really annoying.

This.

And like wearing leggings, apparently having a pair is the new thing that everybody does, but pretends they're unique by doing it.

Tsuchiya

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2008
I don't like how people are quick to criticize to appear knowledgeable. It seems a bit pathetic.

However, as a (previous) owner of Studio Beats I wouldn't recommend them. There is a lot of exaggeration at how bad they are, but honestly they aren't too fantastic for their price. I really felt let down because there was a lot I liked about them. The design is their main appeal, but they were also so damn comfy and had a decent number of pack-ins.

When I spend £300 on a pair of headphones, I want to be blown away. With the Beats, I just wasn't unfortunately.

waloshin

macrumors 68040
Oct 9, 2008
A) Studio monitors make the song sound flat on purpose so if the song sounds good through the monitors it will sound good on home steros.

B) Beats are overpriced.

Mr. McMac

Suspended
Dec 21, 2009
Far away from liberals
They don't come close to reproducing music accurately along with anything made by Bose. This is why audiophiles trash them, including me. If you like way over exaggerated bass, then I guess they're for you... Oh yeah, they're way over priced as well....

mgartner0622

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2010
Colorado, USA
Do they even have dual drivers? Like one for midrange and treble and then one for bass?

Beats are good headphones if you listen to like electronic or hip-hop music. Anything else and they don't have that much of an accurate midrange, or higher range.
If you buy 20$ Apple Headphones or those generic ones they sell at Target, Walmart, Etc, and then get a par of beats, you'll definitely notice the improvement, and they will sound amazing to you. However, if you go from the really high end spectrum (which costs around the same for a decent midrange pair), the Beats don't really hold up.
IMO, half the price is for the branding.

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
The 598s are Openback and designed to be used with an Amp (High RMS Value). Of course you're going to get sound leakage, poor bass and distortion. Of course they're going to be quieter than the beats. Speaking at a technical level, the Senns have better quality drivers than the beats, but they also have higher requirements to go with it.

All this post reeks of is you not knowing audio equipment very well.

Obviously I stated I was new to the whole open vs closed headphones. That's why I posted a link and edited my post. I don't mind the beats for some iPod headphones, and I do have an amp as well as a pair of audio technicas and sennheisers.

----------

They don't come close to reproducing music accurately along with anything made by Bose. This is why audiophiles trash them, including me. If you like way over exaggerated bass, then I guess they're for you... Oh yeah, they're way over priced as well....

I believe Bose are just as equally overpriced.

I have heard enough, and the only thing that I got from the post was brand preference. I would not recommend Bose or beats to an audiophile or someone using them for professional use, but most people that buy them are neither, and just use them for iPods and quick on the go headphones. This post seems to be heading nowhere quick.

Twenty Two

macrumors newbie
Apr 27, 2012
I have a pair of beats and I love them! I using them for recording also. They work great :)

fireshot91

macrumors 601
Jul 31, 2008
Northern VA
So for all of you guys saying the Beats are overpriced for their sound-quality, what are some good in-ear earphones in the $100 range?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.