Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Some people on this fourm hype PC gaming so much. No, I don't like PC gaming that much. Drivers and Linux/Windows issues stop me.

Consoles are simple and plug and play. Some Xbox games you purchase are also available on PC, I think its called Xbox anywhere.
The latest game to support this is Persona 5 Royal.

If brought the Presona on Steam I would not be able to play on my xbox but since I brought it thru Xbox I can also play on Windows sometimes and it cross saves.

Another thing is that I much prefer playing on a huge TV and an Xbox is more geared towards that.

erayser

macrumors 65816
Apr 9, 2011
San Diego
I mainly use my PC for content creation, but I do game on it... I can't remember when I've ever had a driver issue that's stopped me from playing a game... must be lucky. However, I've been impressed our PS5. I would buy an Xbox, if there was a good reason to buy one. I'm sure I would enjoy that too. I pretty much love all tech... no matter what platform.

Reactions: exoticSpice

CyberDavis

macrumors 6502
Sep 26, 2022
Years ago I used to do all my gaming on a PC, and loved it.
But I found I was always chasing hew hardware, i.e. better graphics card, more ram, better processor etc.
It just seemed every game needed a higher spec to be played at detail.

In the end I decided a console was simpler and easier.
First i had an Xbox 360, then later I upgraded to Xbox One X and more recently Xbox Series X.
Each one has lasted a few years and worked fine.

I changed from a PC to iMac originally for photo editing and now have a Mac Studio, I don't game on them but my daughter does use it for a bit of Sims.

Currently enjoying the Xbox Series X and the speed and graphics it has brought to my gaming, a great console.

Malcy16

macrumors member
Jan 8, 2012
United Kingdom
Always been a console gamer since I got my PlayStation One in 1999 I think.
I've never been a PC gamer it isn't something that particularly appeals to me and I don't know why. Maybe as I grew up with consoles plugged into the TV rather than now you see a lot playing PC/Consoles at a desk with a monitor etc. I have my Xbox Series X and PS5 in the lounge with my TV. Upstairs I have a MacBook with a separate larger monitor, I could easily bring a console upstairs and play on the monitor yet I don't.

Beauty of what Xbox is doing is allowing people choice where to play whether its phone, tablet, console, tv or pc.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Old, PS4 user here, that transitioned over to the PC. I bought a XBox X, when it came out, and well its mostly collecting dust. I do fire it up but I find playing on my PC to be superior.

I think its mostly because of my poor eyesight and I can get up close and personal with the display monitor - something that I can't really do with my tv in the living room. There were times where I was playing games on my console and I'm standing in front of the tv to read some sort of note, or terminal. I don't think its viable to stand directly in front of the TV for long stretches of time.

I may want to get back into using the xbox, but overall, for the games I play, it seems more comfortable, and enjoyable with my desktop

timber

macrumors 65816
Aug 30, 2006
Lisbon
I tried gaming on consoles several times, i had a SEGA as a kid, a PS 2 and an Xbox 360 latter. I didn't bother with the following generations.

But I'm a PC player at heart. I like the KB+mouse setup, I like strategy games, particularly RTSs, I used (used because almost nobody does them anymore) adventure Point and Click games and I like first person games (shooters or not) and no, the controller isn't that good.

Console gaming isn't even that cheap because the games are a lot more expensive and that adds up. we had these 2 years which were hard on GPUs but things are coming around and as usual a GPU bought now will last several years into the future as a lot of games get dumbed down because of console developing.

Taustin Powers

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2005
Console gaming since the Super Nintendo for me, for two main reasons:

- All games are optimized for my hardware, not the other way around.
- I want to sit comfortably on the couch in my living room, not at a desk. Desks are for work.

Controllers work fine for me. Many moons ago, I used keyboard & mouse to play Unreal Tournament on my PS3. I know it's more accurate. But for my purposes (non competitive gaming), controllers are more than good enough.

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
Old, PS4 user here, that transitioned over to the PC. I bought a XBox X, when it came out, and well its mostly collecting dust. I do fire it up but I find playing on my PC to be superior.

I think its mostly because of my poor eyesight and I can get up close and personal with the display monitor - something that I can't really do with my tv in the living room. There were times where I was playing games on my console and I'm standing in front of the tv to read some sort of note, or terminal. I don't think its viable to stand directly in front of the TV for long stretches of time.

I may want to get back into using the xbox, but overall, for the games I play, it seems more comfortable, and enjoyable with my desktop
If your monitor has multiple HDMI ports you can hook up your Series X and your PC to the same monitor.

I have a home cinema and it feels like I am playing a movie. But we arec all different as long as enjoy it. :)

Reactions: maflynn

exoticSpice

Suspended
Original poster
Jan 9, 2022
as usual a GPU bought now will last several years into the future as a lot of games get dumbed down because of console developing.
I feel like PS5 and Xbox Series X will last long time. They have very powerful hardware compared to Ps5/xbone.
used because almost nobody does them anymore) adventure Point and Click games
Check Return to Monkey island on Steam. A new game came out. It's a point and Click game.

Console gaming isn't even that cheap because the games are a lot more expensive and that adds up.
True but there are sales on the console stores and disc sales.

Reactions: Pezimak

williamserna

Suspended
Nov 7, 2022
I like playing games in general. but I am more into playing a lot of games on pc, especailly triple a titles.

C7 POWER

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Charlotte, NC
Love my Series X, PS5, and a few months ago bought the Switch OLED just to round out the 3 big names lol. Each has great games.

MisterSavage

macrumors 601
Nov 10, 2018
I read a story about how that's why so many damn console games have teeny tiny text. There were developed by people sitting close to their monitor. :D

trevpimp

macrumors 6502a
Apr 16, 2009
Inside A Mac Box
I watch streamers on Twitch all of the time, I see countless amounts of PC's being used and even though I can always change gears I stick to playing with video game consoles.

I have a PS5 hooked up to a Dell S2721DGF running 1440p at 120hz

I think running higher specs by purchasing a PC will blow me a little too far lol appreciatively

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Interesting thread. I used be a PC gamer, built and tweaked it, back when I was in IT. But that's long gone. And I am older now.
So I've been using consoles again since PS3 / Xbox 360. And in the while I love their plug play and go functionality.

My Series X is especially good at this thanks to Quick Resume, love that feature.

But I got a Steam Deck last year, it offers some games I can't get in console. However it's still a PC, it has bugs, you have to fiddle with settings to get games to work, and I have a PIN code on it and the official dock, so because it's hooked up to my monitor I have to unplug it then unlock it and use it, or plug it back in to use my monitor, otherwise you get no screen at all.
And bugs like when waking from sleep it's powered itself off or games don't load back up happen.

Yea I kinda like it, probably will keep it although that may change, but I MUCH prefer my Xbox to use, turn it on and go.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.