Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

philipma1957

macrumors 603
Original poster
Apr 13, 2010
Howell, New Jersey
Been waiting and waiting and waiting on the new iPad and my iPad mini is long in the tooth.

I have a Sammy galaxy 8 so after waiting and waiting and waiting I went to Sammy website today got a nice galaxy 9 ultra traded in my
lessor galaxy 8 tab. cost after trade in was 373 a few other credits and I spent under 333 for it.

Galaxy Tab S9 Ultra, 256GB, Beige (Wi-Fi)

Shipping:Get it by May 2
Savings

$349.99

this is price with the trade in of the s8

have to thank apple for being so slow.

I will get a new iPad mini mini down the road.

I prefer my samsung 8 over my iPad mini and was not even thinking about trading up with it as it was working fine.

But to go to the larger screen more ram more storage and spend under 333 after my cc discount it is pretty much a no brainer.

when the mini does come out I will get it as I do like the small size of it.

Reactions: Pezimak and sracer

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Its a no brainer until you consider the quality of the apps available. Android for tablets is catching up its not at all on par with iPadOS. It depends on what you do of course, but for me there is no comparison even taking specs and prices into consideration.
If you are in the Apple ecosystem iPads are a no brainer... If you have Windows and a Samsung phone it can be different. Being able to Quick share videos from phone to tablet and then import to Lumafusion is nice. Being able to have your 14.6 tablet become a monitor for windows (in a much better way that iPad do it with Sidecar, with full touch support, audio support etc) can be a huge deal for some people. For me it's a much better solution than a portable monitor since it does not drain the laptop and that size is good enough to replace a 15.6" monitor, while the iPad is a bit small. It really depends what apps and feature matter most for you. A tablet that size is not the typical couch device, it's more of tablet you have in addition to a smaller one.

Reactions: Pezimak and I7guy

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
If you are in the Apple ecosystem iPads are a no brainer... If you have Windows and a Samsung phone it can be different. Being able to Quick share videos from phone to tablet and then import to Lumafusion is nice. Being able to have your 14.6 tablet become a monitor for windows (in a much better way that iPad do it with Sidecar, with full touch support, audio support etc) can be a huge deal for some people. For me it's a much better solution than a portable monitor since it does not drain the laptop and that size is good enough to replace a 15.6" monitor, while the iPad is a bit small. It really depends what apps and feature matter most for you. A tablet that size is not the typical couch device, it's more of tablet you have in addition to a smaller one.
Yep. I agree to these points. Still though, apps v apps Android tablet v iPad, there is no comparison. None.

I use a multitude of machines, including the Android phone I’m typing this on, to the qubes machine I do research on.

Depending on what one uses an iPad for, there can be massive differences in its usability in comparison to an Android tablet.

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
Yep. I agree to these points. Still though, apps v apps Android tablet v iPad, there is no comparison. None.

I use a multitude of machines, including the Android phone I’m typing this on, to the qubes machine I do research on.

Depending on what one uses an iPad for, there can be massive differences in its usability in comparison to an Android tablet.
As you say depending what one uses an iPad for... For music, no question. For video editing? If your video editor it's lumafusion, no difference, other that better connection with your Samsung phone. For watching movies? If you want the largest tablet the ultra is on another league compared to iPad. To act as a montitor for Windows? Way better.
Most apps I use are equivalent, other than for music making/playing. Some are even better (I can use a full browser with any Chrome extension, not possible on iPad).
The main reason I like having an iPad is the aspect ratio and the better accessories (especially the keyboards). Other than for music, app difference is a non argument for me.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
As you say depending what one uses an iPad for... For music, no question. For video editing? If your video editor it's lumafusion, no difference, other that better connection with your Samsung phone. For watching movies? If you want the largest tablet the ultra is on another league compared to iPad. To act as a montitor for Windows? Way better.
Most apps I use are equivalent, other than for music making/playing. Some are even better (I can use a full browser with any Chrome extension, not possible on iPad).
The main reason I like having an iPad is the aspect ratio and the better accessories (especially the keyboards). Other than for music, app difference is a non argument for me.
I use adobe stuff, and Sidecar. I’m pretty sure no other tablet comes close. I wish it did. But it doesn’t.

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
There's notability, good reader and pdf expert for managing pdfs, though I imagine there might be a few decent pdf apps on android as well. It would just require me to switch apps.

Overcast for podcasts.

Ivory for browsing Mastodon.

Prior to them being blocked, Tweetbot (for Twitter) and Apollo (for Reddit). 🥲

Infuse for managing video content on my iOS devices.

Play as a sort of read-later app for Youtube videos.

Lookup is a pretty cool dictionary app.

Prior to its pricing spiralling a tad out of control, Fantastical was a very nice calendar app.

I think the Zoom Attendant app may be iOS only, but I can't be sure.

The app ecosystem for the iPad is admittedly still not as vibrant as I would like, but there are currently enough iOS-only apps that switching would represent a genuine inconvenience for me.

muzzy996

macrumors 65816
Feb 16, 2018
I use adobe stuff, and Sidecar. I’m pretty sure no other tablet comes close. I wish it did. But it doesn’t.
I am pretty sure you are wrong about it ;)

As has been stated before, depends on the individual and what they're using the device for right? I had a similar reaction as @Digitalguy to the statement about no other tablet coming close. What comes to mind for me is my Surface Pro 9. I occasionally use Photoshop and Indesign, on my SP9 using full versions of the softare rather than mobile versions. My SP9 effortlessly drives my dual 4k monitors over a single TB4 connection to my docking station which works great for me for my own needs. The only things that I long for on it would be mobile app support for some things (shopping, banking and content consumption) just for a cleaner experience instead of using web browsers and OFC better battery life (horrendous on the SP9 compared to an iPad).

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
There's notability, good reader and pdf expert for managing pdfs, though I imagine there might be a few decent pdf apps on android as well. It would just require me to switch apps.

Overcast for podcasts.

Ivory for browsing Mastodon.

Prior to them being blocked, Tweetbot (for Twitter) and Apollo (for Reddit). 🥲

Infuse for managing video content on my iOS devices.

Play as a sort of read-later app for Youtube videos.

Lookup is a pretty cool dictionary app.

Prior to its pricing spiralling a tad out of control, Fantastical was a very nice calendar app.

I think the Zoom Attendant app may be iOS only, but I can't be sure.

The app ecosystem for the iPad is admittedly still not as vibrant as I would like, but there are currently enough iOS-only apps that switching would represent a genuine inconvenience for me.
Honestly for most of what you said there are enough good apps, especially on Samsung devices. Samsung notes is an excellent note taking app, but also an excellent PDF manager, Samsung video player has a ton of great feature, including slow motion and now even AI features. Then there is Revanced which, while controversial, gives free Youtube premium, and ad-free reddit, spotify etc. for free....
But again the value proposition is not enough for someone in the Apple ecosystem. Makes much more sense when you have a Samsung phone and use Windows

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
As has been stated before, depends on the individual and what they're using the device for right? I had a similar reaction as @Digitalguy to the statement about no other tablet coming close. What comes to mind for me is my Surface Pro 9. I occasionally use Photoshop and Indesign, on my SP9 using full versions of the softare rather than mobile versions. My SP9 effortlessly drives my dual 4k monitors over a single TB4 connection to my docking station which works great for me for my own needs. The only things that I long for on it would be mobile app support for some things (shopping, banking and content consumption) just for a cleaner experience instead of using web browsers and OFC better battery life (horrendous on the SP9 compared to an iPad).
The problem with these general statements is that people generally use one tablet (iPad, Android or Windows) and their experience with another OS on a tablet either dates back to years ago (or is with an old or budget device) or is just based on what they have read or heard.

I use iPads, Android tablets (mainly Samsung) and Windows tablets daily for both work and leisure... and while I am in the minority I have hands-on experience with these devices.
The difference between iPads and flaghip Samsung tablets has shrunk a lot both in terms of apps and hardware capabilities. At this point for me the main difference is aspect ratio and keyboards, so hardware.
With Windows it's also hardware. This is personal, but I don't care about apps, I can do everything in a browser. The only app that I would really like to see is a touch friendly file explorer. But x86 is the big issue with Windows tablets, especially in terms of battery life.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
I have an M1 12.9 and picked up an Ultra 9 for the larger OLED and a curiosity about whether Android would interest me again - I was a power user, working with custom ROMs, etc. and still have 6 older Android tablets lying about. But I ended up returning the Ultra 9 because the screen reflectivity drove me nuts, much like when I tried - and discarded - a glass protector on my 12.9.

Reactions: Isengardtom

Digitalguy

macrumors 601
Apr 15, 2019
I have an M1 12.9 and picked up an Ultra 9 for the larger OLED and a curiosity about whether Android would interest me again - I was a power user, working with custom ROMs, etc. and still have 6 older Android tablets lying about. But I ended up returning the Ultra 9 because the screen reflectivity drove me nuts, much like when I tried - and discarded - a glass protector on my 12.9.
That's hardware and that can be a reason, Windows tablets are also just as reflective, that bothers me especially with dark mode, which I disable however on non matte screens anyway. Personally reflectivity is a non issue on bright backgraound/pages.
Anyway, this is hardware, just like aspect ratio or accessories, not software.

teohyc

macrumors 6502
May 24, 2007
Samsung not using anti-reflective coating on their premium tablets is such a missed opportunity.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Samsung not using anti-reflective coating on their premium tablets is such a missed opportunity.

Yeah, I likely would have kept it were it not for that issue. Though I'm not wedded to any ecosystem, I can't say that the overall Android s/w experience was overwhelming and I've lost my interest in working on ROMs and doing OS-level customization.

cupcakes2000

macrumors 68040
Apr 13, 2010
I am pretty sure you are wrong about it ;)
Wrong about other tablets running sidecar? I dont think so but if you know of a way to get an android tablet running sidecar then I'm all ears.

Note I'm talking sidecar.

Most adobe apps which you can use on iPadOS aren't even available on android tablets.

I'm not sure you know what you're talking so confidently about.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken

I bolded the part that is quite a bit of hyperbole. (the disclaimers included don't soften it)

What I've found is that those who are heavily connected to the Apple ecosystem, are those who see Android as significantly inferior.

I too use a multitude of machines, but... I'm not heavily tied to any ecosystem. The core apps that I use are cross-platform and are functionally equivalent between their Android and iPadOS versions.

Apps like e-Sword, UpNote, VLC, and SimpleMind look and work great on both OSes.

For productivity, I find Android tablets to be more suitable than iPads. For media creation, iPads are superior. For media consumption, they are equal with the slightest edge to Android because of the looser restrictions placed on apps in the Play store.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
For productivity, I find Android tablets to be more suitable than iPads. For media creation, iPads are superior. For media consumption, they are equal with the slightest edge to Android because of the looser restrictions placed on apps in the Play store.
Android tablets are more suitable for productivity? Care to elaborate on that?

I have an Android tablet in a form of the Galaxy Fold and no doubt about it, it's my favorite device... but I find productivity between the iPad and Android tablet to be equal. Because if someone decides to highlight file system for Android being superior... then there's better keyboard shortcuts and more trackpad gestures under the iPad.

Basically, you get a better overall experience for productivity on the iPad...but there's no debate in file management being better on Android.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
Android tablets are more suitable for productivity? Care to elaborate on that?

I have an Android tablet in a form of the Galaxy Fold and no doubt about it, it's my favorite device... but I find productivity between the iPad and Android tablet to be equal. Because if someone decides to highlight file system for Android being superior... then there's better keyboard shortcuts and more trackpad gestures under the iPad.

Basically, you get a better overall experience for productivity on the iPad...but there's no debate in file management being better on Android.

One other point I give to Android tablets is the uSD slot. I can slap a 1TB uSD card in there a whole heck of a lot cheaper than Apple's usurious storage charges.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
One other point I give to Android tablets is the uSD slot. I can slap a 1TB uSD card in there a whole heck of a lot cheaper than Apple's usurious storage charges.
True. But not all Android tablets support it... the recent OnePlus Pad and Google Pixel Tablet doesn't offer those capabilities.

And at this point... who's storing files on device, normally folks are operating on the cloud with a Office365 subscription or Docs/Sheets. But there's no doubt about it... Android tablet has more to offer when it comes to storage value.

sparksd

macrumors G3
Jun 7, 2015
Seattle WA
True. But not all Android tablets support it... the recent OnePlus Pad and Google Pixel Tablet doesn't offer those capabilities.

And at this point... who's storing files on device, normally folks are operating on the cloud with a Office365 subscription or Docs/Sheets. But there's no doubt about it... Android tablet has more to offer when it comes to storage value.

"who's storing files on device"? Me. I don't use the cloud for storage - I travel a lot to places with poor to no Internet connection so I don't have any reliance on cloud storage.

Last edited:
Reactions: Digitalguy

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
"who's storing files on device"? Me. I don't use the cloud for storage - I travel a lot to places with poor to no Internet connection so I don't have any reliability on cloud storage.
Fair enough. Different strokes for different folks... my apologies for generalizing, I for one hate it when folks do it... but I do use cloud storage.

Edit. And reading back over that comment, I didn't generalize it. And I get that people store files on device (I do too), but nowadays most folks have cloud storage to store files. Although, they don't typically rely on it... as you illustrated by having poor to no Internet.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.