Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Tried 17.1 RC and no dice. Still has the “Syncing with iCloud” that goes on forever.

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
MS
So disappointed with Apple. Whatever happen to their motto “It just works”?

Reactions: beens

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Does anyone here who is having issues using some custom adblocking software (DNS or VPN based) or stuff like that? Does it maybe work over 4G/5G instead of wifi? Any work-related MDM profile installed? Anything non-standard about the devices not working?

This is really intriguing. I would try backing up the iPhone to a Mac or PC (so it's less of a hassle afterwards), set up the iPhone as new, not install anything at all, and just enable iCloud. Does it work then? Just as a test. Then you can restore the backup.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Wifi uses 1.1.1 Warp. Cellular does not. Both instances are not working for iCloud/Photo syncing on iPad Pro. Both network protocols work fine on my other devices without incident.

Savetheempire

macrumors newbie
May 18, 2010
For whatever reason, I did a wipe and restore from backup and that fixed my issue. It still says "Syncing 3 items" but all my devices are synced up.

Reactions: Johnny365

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I actually don’t think Apple are capable of fixing this - not even joking.

For this reason, today I’m cancelling my iCloud 2TB account and signing up for the Google Photos equivalent.

I’ll keep a 99 cent Apple account to back up my phone settings but I don’t see the point in paying for substandard service. Apple have never been too good at online stuff - such a shame.

Reactions: ht5pilot

ht5pilot

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 15, 2011
MS

For this reason, today I’m cancelling my iCloud 2TB account and signing up for the Google Photos equivalent.

I’ll keep a 99 cent Apple account to back up my phone settings but I don’t see the point in paying for substandard service. Apple have never been too good at online stuff - such a shame.
Was thinking about the same idea. I have had this issue since September 23. I had a ticket sent to Apple engineers on 25th of that month and still no fix. I have their $2.99 per month plan, but won’t even think about upgrading to their higher tier plans. I plan to use my current plan to backup my iPhone and documents, but serious looking into Google for photo backup. Apple is so disappointing.

Last edited:
Reactions: ibookemo

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
Was thinking about the same idea. I have had this issue since September 23. I had a ticket sent to Apple engineers on 25th of that month and still no fix. I have their $2.99 per month plan, but won’t even think about upgrading to their higher tier plans. I plan to use my current plan to backup my iPhone and documents, but serious looking into Google for photo backup. Apple is so disappointing.
Well I just made the switch to Google Photos. Going to take ages to upload everything as the app is a little janky but it will do as a simple backup.

I think I’ll do this for a year then try Apple iCloud again. Maybe it will be fixed in a year 🤞🏻

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
I'm at a loss on what's happening. If it was a server-side issue, you'd see more reports. This just seems like a corrupt photo/video that is causing the hangup, especially if it's working fine on 1-2 other devices people may have under the same iCloud.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Okay, fixed the issue. I reset my iPad completely, and setup as a new iPad (no backup--for now!) and iCloud/Photo syncing is working correctly on it. Will test further and perhaps restore the backup to see if the problem returns!

Edit: With 'Setting up as a new iPad', it inherently deleted the prior backup I made, but this is a fair tradeoff to having working iCloud/Photos on all my devices now. Gives me a reason to re-organize my app layout from scratch too.

Last edited:

Mattgab825

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Okay, fixed the issue. I reset my iPad completely, and setup as a new iPad (no backup--for now!) and iCloud/Photo syncing is working correctly on it. Will test further and perhaps restore the backup to see if the problem returns!

Edit: With 'Setting up as a new iPad', it inherently deleted the prior backup I made, but this is a fair tradeoff to having working iCloud/Photos on all my devices now. Gives me a reason to re-organize my app layout from scratch too.
You did fix it just with clean install? I have the same issue on both my 15PM and iPad Pro M1 and a clean install on my iPhone (without backup) didn’t fix the issue. Strangely my iMac is fine. A level 2 ticket has been opened with apple for 3 weeks now, without success, despite the logs they took. Did you only have this on your iPad Pro? Any advice to give me?

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Yes, it was only having iCloud/Photo sync issues on my iPad Pro 12.9” (M1 2021). My other devices signed into the same iCloud account were fine, iPhone 12 Mini and iPad Mini 5th Gen.

A clean install, setup as new iPad did the trick.

Mattgab825

macrumors newbie
Oct 31, 2016
Ok thanks. I did the same but in my case, a clean install did not fix the issue. My iPhone and iPad are still problematic. Only my iMac is ok. Oh well.

beens

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2023
iOS 17.1 beta 3 may resolve the issue as it did address Message sync/search with iCloud. You could give it a try but, if you do, you should stay on the beta. I would advise to test it on iPad first and do a backup beforehand.

Just a note, there some users reported issue downgrading to 17.0.3 from beta.
It didn’t resolve anything my photos are not syncing correctly either I can’t even use the Photos app. It’s so bad the pictures load blurry and it takes forever for them to load for me to edit them. i’ve been on the phone with Apple for days and sent them logs to the engineers and so far no luck at all.

beens

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2023

I agree with you 100%. I’m thinking of buying Google space too but how would that work? If you take a picture with your camera in your iPhone it’s so confusing. How would I make my photos upload directly to Google if I take a picture in my iPhone instead of going into the cloud?

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I agree with you 100%. I’m thinking of buying Google space too but how would that work? If you take a picture with your camera in your iPhone it’s so confusing. How would I make my photos upload directly to Google if I take a picture in my iPhone instead of going into the cloud?
Google photos app just looks at the photos present in your Apple Photos app and uploads them to the google cloud space. It won’t delete anything, just make a cloud backup.

It’s not a fix by any means, just a stop gap until the actual bugs get fixed by Apple.

I think the actual issue is with the Apple Photos app because, even after removing the iCloud Photos backup from my phone (now backing up to Google instead) I still have random issues…photos stuck in ‘processing’ when I try to send them to people - that type of thing.

There’s some serious optimisation of code needed in Photos for the new iPhone 15 Pro Max. The question really is when will Apple get around to it.

I hope within the next 6 months or so. As long as it’s eventually well-fixed I’ll be happy. Bugs are a pain.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Sorry to hear. I hope ya'll issues get fixed. Having working iCloud Photos syncing again is such a great convenience.

antipodean

macrumors regular
May 2, 2014
It didn’t resolve anything my photos are not syncing correctly either I can’t even use the Photos app. It’s so bad the pictures load blurry and it takes forever for them to load for me to edit them. i’ve been on the phone with Apple for days and sent them logs to the engineers and so far no luck at all.
I have exactly the same issue. Same problems with picture loading as blurry and ages for them to become editable. Hasn't synced with iCloud for almost a week despite power, fast WiFi, plenty of phone and iCloud storage. It is frustrating indeed. Am currently in chat with first line Apple Support.

Johnny365

macrumors 6502a
Nov 30, 2015
Ah, the issue I had was that there was no syncing going on and the photos that were on device were a few weeks old.

antipodean

macrumors regular
May 2, 2014
I'm now trying Apple Support's suggestion of wipe and restore my iPhone. Feels like a drastic step, but I am all out of other ideas. The irony is one thing that put me off upgrading my iPhone 14 Pro Max this year was the thought of having to set up a new phone and yet here I am more or less doing that anyway :rolleyes:.

While restoring from a backup takes away a lot of the work, there is still the matter of credit cards in Apple Wallet and various accounts that I need to sign into. I expect it will be more than an hour to complete the process.

Fingers crossed it solves the iCloud Photos non-syncing issue. I'll report back.

Reactions: RockyMtnRed

ibookemo

macrumors 6502
Jun 17, 2009
I'm now trying Apple Support's suggestion of wipe and restore my iPhone. Feels like a drastic step, but I am all out of other ideas. The irony is one thing that put me off upgrading my iPhone 14 Pro Max this year was the thought of having to set up a new phone and yet here I am more or less doing that anyway :rolleyes:.

While restoring from a backup takes away a lot of the work, there is still the matter of credit cards in Apple Wallet and various accounts that I need to sign into. I expect it will be more than an hour to complete the process.

Fingers crossed it solves the iCloud Photos non-syncing issue. I'll report back.
I’ve had lots of issues with iCloud since iOS 17. Reinstalled everything a few times now and still haven’t really fixed everything.

I do think iOS 17 has a few bugs that are causing the problems. The Photos app seems to be the root for me.

Best of luck with the reinstall.

antipodean

macrumors regular
May 2, 2014
Thanks. Cautiously, I would say reinstalling has fixed the problem. My photos have all synced down from iCloud to my iPhone (optimized size) and a photo I took this morning has synced up successfully. I did notice that the sync was a bit slow given my fast home WiFi, which has me a little concerned that all is not quite right. At least it is working to a fashion, which it was not doing before the reinstall.

Now I have to work out what is wrong with iCloud Photos on my MBP. Syncing isn't working and the system photo library seems broken somehow (repair doesn't complete). iCloud Photos working fine on my Mac mini, iPad mini and iPad Pro.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.