Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Hockey Nut

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Battle Creek
I have a new PM 1.25 FW800 that came with a combo drive.

I installed a Pioneer A05 burner in the top bay (firmware 121/MMC-3), and it shows up in the top bus in the system profiler.

The problem is that iDVD3 hangs during stage 4 renderring and burning.

The first time it froze with 27 min. to go. the second time it was 7 min, and the 3rd and 4th time it was less than a min.

The burner works. I was able to burn some data in Toast.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

BTW, Apple support S**KS. After putting me on hold for over an hour, the guy blamed it on Pioneer since I added the drive. Even though Apple has used Pioneer drives forever, he said he had no idea what the problem was, and that there has never been a problem like this on an Apple installed Drive.......Riiiiiiiiiight.

Next time I'll ask here first, you guys know a lot more than "Apple Support"

I guess I'll call Pioneer, who will probaly blame Apple.

steeleclipse

macrumors 6502
Nov 7, 2002
Canada
did you cancel after letting it sit for a while and try to play the DVD that was burning?

my iDVD hangs EVERY time i burn a DVD, yet every one works, beginning to end if i wait long enough before cancelling it... I have heard of others having the same problem...

it isnt the burner, as mine says the same, yet it was installed by Apple, and it too is a Pioneer, and it too has no problem in toast titanium...

:D

Hockey Nut

macrumors member
Original poster
Feb 15, 2003
Battle Creek
I looked the burner up at XLR8yourmac, and found out that you have to have the energy saver set to "never sleep" for the hard drive. I tried it and now it doesn't hang at all. Go figure.

mmmdreg

macrumors 65816
Apr 14, 2002
Sydney, Australia
ahh jeez. Mines hung on 121 minutes left. It all appears to be working with no beachball and the burn icon spinning but nothings going anywhere :S. Cancel?

MacBandit

macrumors 604
Originally posted by Hockey Nut
I looked the burner up at XLR8yourmac, and found out that you have to have the energy saver set to "never sleep" for the hard drive. I tried it and now it doesn't hang at all. Go figure.

I'll have to try that. My DVD burner hangs when burning from any program iDVD, Toast, Backup. The key thing though is it only hangs when I try to put more then 4.1GB on the disk. If I am putting 4.1GB or less on the disk any program will work. The disks should hold 4.2 according to toast but even toast hangs if I try to get that extra little bit on there. This really sucks because it keeps me from doing sequential saves with Backup.

I'm keeping my fingers crossed on the hard drive energy saver setting. Thanks for the tip.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.