Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Ursus1968

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
In process of doing some upgrades to my iMac G4 20" (Install SSD + Max Ram + new battery).

And then comes the question of thermal paste...

It seem a bit of a chore having to re-apply this every time you open up the Sunflower iMac, so I am trying to find out how good/bad it would be to instead add thick + highly conductive thermal pads?

I have tried finding other that have pondered the same question, but either my search skills are bad, or the very idea is so stupid that no one else have even considered it :)

appltech

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2020
Hey. As for me, thermal paste is much more durable, and thermal pads will cost you + they can stick and melt to surface if temperatures and pressure are too high. This means the next time it can be much harder to replace.
BUUT if thermal pads are nice and shiny, and you have money for it, then sure thing you can try it, definitely you will be able to measure the difference (literally I don't know anything about G4 iMac pros and cons, is it that hot that you need worrying about extra heat dissipation?
Arctic MX-4 as well as Grizzly Kryonaut, you can give it a try (as for me a good one and costs not too much). I never change it more often than 2 years
But again, I don't know anything about your guy

Ursus1968

macrumors member
Original poster
Apr 5, 2021
Stockholm, Sweden
Hey. As for me, thermal paste is much more durable, and thermal pads will cost you + they can stick and melt to surface if temperatures and pressure are too high. This means the next time it can be much harder to replace.
BUUT if thermal pads are nice and shiny, and you have money for it, then sure thing you can try it, definitely you will be able to measure the difference (literally I don't know anything about G4 iMac pros and cons, is it that hot that you need worrying about extra heat dissipation?
Arctic MX-4 as well as Grizzly Kryonaut, you can give it a try (as for me a good one and costs not too much). I never change it more often than 2 years
But again, I don't know anything about your guy
Hmm, didn't even think about the possibility of the pads actually melting.. but I am looking at one from Thermal Grizzly that should handle up to +250 Celsius , and I cannot imagine the G4 running that high. Unfortunately there are pretty much no temperature sensors in the G4 , beside one for the HDD I believe.

Reactions: appltech

velocityg4

macrumors 604
Dec 19, 2004
Georgia
Thermal pads are generally too thick to replace paste. Also the th ermal conductivity is usually far worse. Paste is just done in a fine layer to fill imperfections in the surface. Pads are better suited for low draw components like memory.

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
Simple answer: Replace paste with paste and pads with pads. With pads you will destroy the direct and most efficient metal to metal connection. There are efficient pads that are comparable to a direct connection+paste, but these pasds are electrically conductive (Carbonaut for example)

Info Video

Last edited:

fra9000

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2020
Italia
I don't know if it was mine or what but..I will not suggest artic mx-5 series, go for the classic artic silver. The artic mx-5 series has one of the worse applicability and paste consistency I ever experienced. It's like spreading a chewing gum. Terrible.

Reactions: Ursus1968

CooperBox

macrumors 68000
I agree with the answers above. I would never use pads in this particular situation.
A layer of thermal paste after application and in final contact with the heat sink would be of negligable thickness. Unlike thermal pads, which even a very thin (0,5mm) pad could result in the bottom dome not making full contact when reinstalled, with a possible gap of 0,2mm - 0,3mm present after compression and visible externaly.

Last edited:

TzunamiOSX

macrumors 65816
Oct 4, 2009
Germany
I don't know if it was mine or what but..I will not suggest artic mx-5 series, go for the classic artic silver. The artic mx-5 series has one of the worse applicability and paste consistency I ever experienced. It's like spreading a chewing gum. Terrible.
After my last modifications on my MacPro the Thermal Grizzly Kryonaut is my favorite. The consistency of the paste is not really good to work with, but with the x method I get really good temperatures.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.