Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Well looks like the Mac Pro SSDs are not compatible. They fit perfectly and look identical apart from the label, but after installation the iMac Pro doesn't POST. Putting it in DFU mode and trying to restore via Apple Configurator results in error:

If anybody has another idea, I'll gladly try it. But it looks like Apple just firmware-locked it.
I just thought of something, not sure if it can help. You know how the T2 chip can be jailbroken? Could that be useful in this case?

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
"Jailbreak" the T2 chip?
Did you find out some information that a jailbreak will affect what type of internal SSD is used?
The hardware controller for the SSD chipset is on the T2 chip, isn't it?
Could a jailbreak affect how the drive controller works?

segers909

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
Well yes I'm guessing that route might work, but then an actual jailbreak developer would have to spend some time on it and make a user-friendly tool for getting the job done. I certainly can't. I just ordered a 2TB iMac Pro SSD set on eBay.

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
"Jailbreak" the T2 chip?
Did you find out some information that a jailbreak will affect what type of internal SSD is used?
The hardware controller for the SSD chipset is on the T2 chip, isn't it?
Could a jailbreak affect how the drive controller works?

Well yes I'm guessing that route might work, but then an actual jailbreak developer would have to spend some time on it and make a user-friendly tool for getting the job done. I certainly can't. I just ordered a 2TB iMac Pro SSD set on eBay.

Yeah, I have no idea if it would be possible, but since the T2 is one of the chips jail breakable with checkra1n, and the T2 handles the SSDs, I figured it could probably work. Having said that though, I don't think many people have actually tried to install the Mac Pro or iMac Pro SSDs by themselves, and I reckon there'd be even less people working on figuring out how to get it to work with a jailbroken T2. Furthermore, the iMac Pro is the only T2 Mac with removable SSDs that isn't "user replaceable", and that was such a low volume device, I'm not sure anyone would really work on getting it to work.

Actually, I'm not sure what the point of the jailbreak is now other than to change the boot chime :D

segers909

macrumors regular
Jun 7, 2009
Belgium
Update: turns out the Mac Pro SSD probably IS compatible with the iMac Pro! I simply installed the left and right one swapped. See this link for more info:

AnonMac50

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Mar 24, 2010
Update: turns out the Mac Pro SSD probably IS compatible with the iMac Pro! I simply installed the left and right one swapped. See this link for more info:
Oh that is such great news to hear! And it's working just fine now?

rpmurray

macrumors 68020
Feb 21, 2017
Back End of Beyond
Do you happen to know if the SSDs are marked to indicate which one goes where?

DunDrent

macrumors newbie
Jan 20, 2020
Do you happen to know if the SSDs are marked to indicate which one goes where?
Yes they are marked. Very small print at the front side next to the screw: 00 and 01. 00 goes in the right one and 01 goes into the left one.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.