Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I’m waiting on a replacement ribbon cable for my iMac Pro screen. If I disconnect the monitor, I can get the system to display on a tb3 external monitor, but fans spin up loudly and cpu seems to be active in system usage.

is there a way to make it function normal to the external tb 3 external screen? Obviously the ribbon being disconnected is causing this

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
I had the same issue with my 2015 iMac and wanted to connect it to an external display even though the internal wasn’t connected. I did find a some utilities for turning off/down the fans, but couldn’t solve the issue of it throttling the CPU. It basically was unusable since it was so slow.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I had the same issue with my 2015 iMac and wanted to connect it to an external display even though the internal wasn’t connected. I did find a some utilities for turning off/down the fans, but couldn’t solve the issue of it throttling the CPU. It basically was unusable since it was so slow.
Yeah that’s been my experience so far as well, I guess I just have to wait for that ribbon cable to come in

I damaged the cable end accidentally, was working fine before

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Yeah that’s been my experience so far as well, I guess I just have to wait for that ribbon cable to come in

I damaged the cable end accidentally, was working fine before
Yep same here. I had replaced the old HD with a SSD like a year earlier but never fully sealed it back up with the 3M tape. Since I was going to give it to my parents I decided to finish it and damaged the cable when I reopened it. What is worse is even after I got the cable it wasn’t working and in my haste I ended up cracking the screen. So be careful when you get the cable!

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
Yep same here. I had replaced the old HD with a SSD like a year earlier but never fully sealed it back up with the 3M tape. Since I was going to give it to my parents I decided to finish it and damaged the cable when I reopened it. What is worse is even after I got the cable it wasn’t working and in my haste I ended up cracking the screen. So be careful when you get the cable!
Why do you think it didn’t work after the new cable?

azentropy

macrumors 601
Jul 19, 2002
Surprise
Why do you think it didn’t work after the new cable?
I think when I put it back I bent both the pins on the cable and the receiver connector on the board. So getting the new cable the pins were correct, but still didn’t work because the connector still had something wrong with it.

rondocap

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 18, 2011
I think when I put it back I bent both the pins on the cable and the receiver connector on the board. So getting the new cable the pins were correct, but still didn’t work because the connector still had something wrong with it.
Mine doesn’t seem to be working either after the new cable, but the logic board connector seems fine, no damage there

I wonder if there’s something else possibly not connected properly

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.