Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Apple's approach is that if they don't talk about it, or even acknowledge it, given enough time the 'problem' will go away. I'm still waiting for official acknowledgement about the iCloud account fiasco a few weeks ago -- but so far, *crickets*.

I'll say it again -- Cupertino can't run a stable cloud service to save its life. After the last iCloud hiccup, I am now only 'dependent' on them for very basic things built-into the system, sadly that includes iMessage. But everything else (contacts/calendars/data/files) is at another provider which *rarely* has problems of any sort.

It was less than an hour yesterday. Things do happen. To act like any cloud service has never had any hiccups is absolutely ridiculous.

As far as iCloud goes considering I never even heard of some alleged outage it can have been that serious.

Apple compared to others is doing just fine overall with uptime

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
It was less than an hour yesterday. Things do happen. To act like any cloud service has never had any hiccups is absolutely ridiculous.

As far as iCloud goes considering I never even heard of some alleged outage it can have been that serious.

Apple compared to others is doing just fine overall with uptime
Most of their cloud outages or problems rarely affect me. This one did but SMS saved the day. Funny thing is I didn't text anyone all day until I was doing some troubleshooting and got hit by the outage, LOL. I agree with you, Apple is doing just fine with their cloud services.

Reactions: scorpio vega

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
Most of their cloud outages or problems rarely affect me. This one did but SMS saved the day. Funny thing is I didn't text anyone all day until I was doing some troubleshooting and got hit by the outage, LOL. I agree with you, Apple is doing just fine with their cloud services.
The only reason I even noticed it wasn’t because I tried to text lol. I was on macrumors and happened to be reading 😂

People want to be overly critical about anything apple does. I was more annoyed my bank wasn’t allowing transactions Tuesdays than being without blue texts for 45 mins lmao

Reactions: frenchcamp49er

atlantino

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I have always used regular SMS/text messages, it has 100% uptime since 1992 when it was released. SMS is crossplatform, so it works between ALL phones, even on the ancient Nokia phones. Why are people relying on iMessage for texting? It is locked between iPhones only.

frenchcamp49er

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2014
I have always used regular SMS/text messages, it has 100% uptime since 1992 when it was released. SMS is crossplatform, so it works between ALL phones, even on the ancient Nokia phones. Why are people relying on iMessage for texting? It is locked between iPhones only.
You do no Messages is better and safer than SMS, right?

Reactions: atlantino

applefan8254

macrumors member
Apr 16, 2023
I agree that imessage is good as a quick "need to contact right now" messenger

However, since we're talking about communication, if we can discuss cloud based chat services for a moment:

Kinda wish apple would release a cross platform cloud chat solution, something like microsoft teams or google chat (the cloud messenger platform, not sms) I'm not talking about for day to things like quick texts. More for like, sharing stuff with friends and family in a cloud based platform so that, you can access it a cross multiple devices and platforms (like email) but with the benefits of a chat UI, which is cleaner / simpler than email with emoji reactions and the ability to reply to specific messages, as well as it kinda functioning like a living doc with no limit editing. I appreciate apple products and services. But I kind of wish they'd do, maybe in *addition* to imessage, a new/separate cloud based messaging platform to compete with Microsoft teams chat / Google chat etc, that is a cross between something like notion/Google docs/ Google chat/ Microsoft teams chat etc.

Last edited:
Reactions: atlantino

atlantino

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2024
I agree that imessage is good as a quick "need to contact right now" messenger

However, since we're talking about communication, if we can discuss cloud based chat services for a moment:

Kinda wish apple would release a cross platform cloud chat solution, something like microsoft teams or google chat (the cloud messenger platform, not sms) I'm not talking about for day to things like quick texts. More for like, sharing stuff with friends and family in a cloud based platform so that, you can access it a cross multiple devices and platforms (like email) but with the benefits of a chat UI, which is cleaner / simpler than email with emoji reactions and the ability to reply to specific messages, as well as it kinda functioning like a living doc with no limit editing. I appreciate apple products and services. But I kind of wish they'd do, maybe in *addition* to imessage, a new/separate cloud based messaging platform to compete with Microsoft teams chat / Google chat etc, that is a cross between something like notion/Google docs/ Google chat/ Microsoft teams chat etc.

It sounds like a good idea, but Apple needs to be more transparent about the iCloud first. All the recent leaks proves that Apple is questionable when it comes to cloud storage.

Reactions: applefan8254

W.O.P.R.

macrumors member
Apr 5, 2018
Home Kit was down as well?

"Siri, open the pod bay doors."
"Playing Dock of the Bay by Otis Redding"
"Calling Rod Bay"
"I'm sorry Dave, I'm afraid I can't connect to your Home Kit device at this time."

So, it was only minorly more annoying than when everything is working I bet.

• Haha
Reactions: rehkram

dampfnudel

macrumors 601
Aug 14, 2010
Brooklyn, NY
I guess you are right. They even blamed the user for holding it wrong during the free bumper case debacle at first
I guess it’s prudent for them as a company protecting its image, leadership and stock to minimize every service and hardware issue as much as possible. However, sometimes when they totally ignore them, it becomes very frustrating for users affected.

lindros2

macrumors 6502a
Mar 21, 2011
I like turtles.
Teams eats battery, and is difficult to use outside of my organization (that is, cross-org used to be better but now Microsoft severely messed it up).
With that said, an all-in-one app isn't bad, but it does come with security gaps.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
I told my boyfriend I felt poor because my texts were green lmao. I was half serious but it goes to show iPhone users know when something is wrong and why I love the color differentiation in messaging.

My best friend told me yesterday she hates when she text someone green. For whatever reason apple wasn’t automatically sending as text. I hate to manually send each text by text and then it would switch over.
The utter tragedy of Apple convincing people that this is important. If I lived in the US (the only country in the world where anyone cares about bubble colour), I would deliberately buy an Android so as to deliberately have the "wrong" bubble colour, as it would be the best filter in the universe for filtering out small minded, shallow, moronic, dooshbags, and have them remove themselves from my life. I'd be happy as a pig in mud. I actually half wish we had the bubble stupidity in my own country, as I can't imagine a more effective and brilliant people filter as this.

I'm actually surprised that it hasn't become a super cool, ironic, fashion to have the "wrong" bubble colour.

AZhappyjack

macrumors G3
Jul 3, 2011
Happy Jack, AZ
The utter tragedy of Apple convincing people that this is important. If I lived in the US (the only country in the world where anyone cares about bubble colour), I would deliberately buy an Android so as to deliberately have the "wrong" bubble colour, as it would be the best filter in the universe for filtering out small minded, shallow, moronic, dooshbags, and have them remove themselves from my life. I'd be happy as a pig in mud. I actually half wish we had the bubble stupidity in my own country, as I can't imagine a more effective and brilliant people filter as this.

I'm actually surprised that it hasn't become a super cool, ironic, fashion to have the "wrong" bubble colour.
Much ado about nothing.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
Because it is? When I unfortunately used an android rcs delivery was never reliable. I turned it off.

I’m turning it off when it comes to iPhones and I’ve already told my friends to do the same and to make sure others know. I’m fine with iMessage and sms
I've had the opposite experience as you. I found that iMessage was consistently losing messages (on various different iPhone models), so myself and my entire family ended up switching it off permanently. I switched to a Pixel 8 phone 6 months ago, and I've had a sum of zero lost messages via RCS. Go figure.

Maybe it was the actually particular Android phone you used, rather than RCS itself that was messing up? Which phone did you have?

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
We don't need that kind of shaming here in an Apple forum. Thanks.

Even when I chose to manually send as SMS, it was still failing in some cases, but not others.

iMessage has been back up for the past 2 hours for me. Is it still down for others?
Oh, someone didn't detect my sarcasm.

I don't know if you're aware, but the US is the only country in the world that remotely cares about bubble colour. The rest of us look at you guys in complete bewilderment about various things. Bubble colour, the entire US healthcare system, and the bizarre mess of politics.

If I lived in the US, I would deliberately buy an Android so as to deliberately have the "wrong" bubble colour, as it would be the best filter in the universe for filtering out small minded, shallow, moronic, dooshbags, and have them remove themselves from my life. I'd be happy as a pig in mud. I actually half wish we had the bubble stupidity in my own country, as I can't imagine a more effective and brilliant people filter as this.

scorpio vega

macrumors 65816
May 3, 2023
Raleigh, NC
I've had the opposite experience as you. I found that iMessage was consistently losing messages (on various different iPhone models), so myself and my entire family ended up switching it off permanently. I switched to a Pixel 8 phone 6 months ago, and I've had a sum of zero lost messages via RCS. Go figure.

Maybe it was the actually particular Android phone you used, rather than RCS itself that was messing up? Which phone did you have?
Friends complain about pixels. I used s22 and galaxy z flip and whatever that random Moto I had in 2023

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.