Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jdw13

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 2, 2015
Boston, Maine, Chile
I use Ventura on home Mac, but travel with a Mid 2014 MacBook Pro running Big Sur. If I copy the PhotosLibrary from Ventura to disk on the Big Sur laptop, the Photos 6 on Big Sur will not open the library if I double-click it.
Unsupported Library
The library “Photos Library.photoslibrary” is from a newer version of Photos. Please upgrade Photos to open this library.
The laptop is too old to update to Ventura, and I am afraid to even try to patch the mid-2014 MacBook Pro force it. I see in discussion of Migration Assistant seems to work only from older to newer versions. Is there a third party utility to migrate "backwards" or some other thing I could do other that export individual photos from the newer and import to the older?

saudor

macrumors 68000
Jul 18, 2011
In theory, you should be able to use icloud photo library to sync it to your 2014. That being said, opencore legacy patcher isnt too bad to run on that mac to patch ventura.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.