Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Hey guys,

I just saw that this 12.5.4 update was released.

Before creating this thread I’ve looked online for reviews and whether it’s safe to install this update or not but I can’t find a clear cut review anywhere so I'm feeling confused as I’m not sure if it’s safe for me to install?... ? ? ?

I thought I'd ask this question here because there are so many experts here.

Thank you for any help!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
12.5.4 is a security fix, and add nothing else. I really don’t think there is any risk installing this update, as soon as you have full backup.

Reactions: iHorseHead

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.
It is a security release. Why didn't you read the article? In less than 30 seconds, you could have had your answer.

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
12.5.4 is a security fix, and add nothing else. I really don’t think there is any risk installing this update, as soon as you have full backup.
It is a security release. Why didn't you read the article? In less than 30 seconds, you could have had your answer.

Thank you for your replies!

Before I created this thread I read this article and this is what really discouraged me from installing the new update: https://www.gottabemobile.com/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-12-9-reasons-you-should/

In that article they specifically say this: "The newest version of iOS 12 could have a significant impact on your device’s performance."

Apple_Robert

Contributor
Sep 21, 2012
In the middle of several books.

Before I created this thread I read this article and this is what really discouraged me from installing the new update: https://www.gottabemobile.com/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-12-9-reasons-you-should/

In that article they specifically say this: "The newest version of iOS 12 could have a significant impact on your device’s performance."
For all the threads you have made being overly concerned about security, you hesitate installing a security update because some tiny site says you might have a performance decrease. Do you see how backwards that thinking is? If you want to focus on a hack site that makes it sound like everyone would have performance problems after the update, go ahead. You really need to get a handle on your fear.

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015

Honestly, given how poorly and random the article is written, I don’t give too much credit for it. I personally have Long moved from iOS 12 so no first hand experience here but I’d just go for it instead of being scared by a random news article online.

theapplehead

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2018
North Carolina

That website is an absolute joke! If you look at any of their other iOS reviews they all say the same prewritten line that you quoted in your post. I don't even know why they bother since they only cause confusion and waste other peoples time. As far as your question goes, that iOS 12 release is perfectly safe to download and install since it is only a security fix and nothing else.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
That article seems to say that you should avoid that update if you think you will have problems, also says that if you have skipped an update or two, or even if you haven't, you should install the update because it patches various security issues.
But, don't install if you fear the possibility of performance issues (that may not happen for you)
But, some users don't have performance issues, or any kind of issue at all (your experience may be different)
But, some other users DO have issues with the update (well, ANY update), and iOS usually does not allow you to go back to any previous version (and maybe you have not ever experienced issues with any update in the past. That record might continue for you (or not)
As Shirasaki posted above - the article is VERY poorly written, and doesn't make any useful conclusions about what users should do, and then offers the opposite answer multiple times.
(You should ALSO notice that the comments on THAT article start nearly 3 years ago, when iOS 12 was first released. It appears that the article is merely edited for each update, and not a good edit in any case... crap article - ignore! )

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017

Just install it. That article (and entire site) is nothing more than clickbait. (It's also poorly written)

Reactions: theapplehead

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Thank you for all of your replies!

I was 90% certain that iOS 12.5.4 update would be fine for me to install, but I remember updating to an iOS a long time ago and it really destroyed the performance of my iPad Mini 3 so when I saw the website article mention a significant hit to performance I was apprehensive... ? ? ?

Article: https://www.gottabemobile.com/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-12-9-reasons-you-should/

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Thank you for all of your replies!

I was 90% certain that iOS 12.5.4 update would be fine for me to install, but I remember updating to an iOS a long time ago and it really destroyed the performance of my iPad Mini 3 so when I saw the website article mention a significant hit to performance I was apprehensive... ? ? ?

Article: https://www.gottabemobile.com/4-reasons-not-to-install-ios-12-9-reasons-you-should/
While I agree device performance is important, I’d suggest you google the issue instead of cling on that single “source” so you can make more informative decision.
And, with all due respect, Apple would not possibly destroy their reputation over and over, right?

Reactions: Runs For Fun

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
While I agree device performance is important, I’d suggest you google the issue instead of cling on that single “source” so you can make more informative decision.
And, with all due respect, Apple would not possibly destroy their reputation over and over, right?
Thank you for your reply Shirasaki!

I trust Apple with software updates and in general, but reading that article really made me think twice before installing the iOS 12.5.4 update... :( :( :(

BeautifulWoman_1984

Contributor
Original poster
Sep 5, 2016
Okay guys, I just finished installing the iOS 12.5.4 update, but it was very strange... The installing seemed to be working, but then my iPad Mini 3 rebooted itself twice and that's never happened before.

Is there any way for me to check if the iOS 12.5.4 update install was 100% successful??? ?

Thank you for any help!

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
Okay guys, I just finished installing the iOS 12.5.4 update, but it was very strange... The installing seemed to be working, but then my iPad Mini 3 rebooted itself twice and that's never happened before.

Is there any way for me to check if the iOS 12.5.4 update install was 100% successful??? ?

Thank you for any help!
If you see the “hello” screen and a few prompts for updating Apple ID settings etc then you have installed it successfully. If you don’t, you will not see those screens and there will be a pop up saying iOS update failed.

Reactions: MacorNothing

Runs For Fun

macrumors 65816
Nov 6, 2017

Thank you for any help!
Settings -> General -> About

MacorNothing

macrumors regular
Apr 6, 2021
South France
Hello, I have iPhone 6 since 2018 on iOS 12, so do you think it's REALLY the last ?
I think on July 2022 the last 12.5.6 (maybe ?)
Have a good week-end !

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto
The article says nothing concrete about any real issues, simply that you "could" have issues. If you leave your home, you could get hit by a car. Maybe you should think twice about leaving!

Reactions: Runs For Fun

Mr_Brightside_@

macrumors 68040
Sep 23, 2005
Toronto

Thank you for any help!
My iDevices always reboot after an OS update.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.