Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
I downloaded a video via a YouTube Premium account and can't find it my Mac - it's not in the Downloads folder and I don't know where else to look

BanditoB

macrumors 6502
Feb 24, 2009
Chicago, IL
YouTube Premium video downloads are only available on mobile devices such as iPhone and/or iPad. They apparently will not download on a Mac.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
YouTube Premium video downloads are only available on mobile devices such as iPhone and/or iPad. They apparently will not download on a Mac.
Strange, there was a progress circle showing a download process, though it was on the website itself and not in the usual downloads progress area at bottom of Chrome.

If I download on iPhone, will it be in the Files app?

Vidnez

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Strange, there was a progress circle showing a download process, though it was on the website itself and not in the usual downloads progress area at bottom of Chrome.

If I download on iPhone, will it be in the Files app?
That progress circle means that it will be downloaded in your devices. It will not download like a file, its only for offline watch into the YouTube app.

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
That progress circle means that it will be downloaded in your devices. It will not download like a file, its only for offline watch into the YouTube app.
Is there any way to get the actual downloaded file on my iPhone or Mac?

Vidnez

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2008
Is there any way to get the actual downloaded file on my iPhone or Mac?
That especific file, no. But you can download YouTube videos on iPhone with 3rd party apps like Documents by readdle. Use the in app web browser and go to savefrom.net. You can use that web to download videos to your Mac too.

EDIT: Well, you don't need a 3rd party app really, I only use it cause that way the web do not show me ads or redirection me to a website.

Last edited:

acousticbiker

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jun 28, 2008
That especific file, no. But you can download YouTube videos on iPhone with 3rd party apps like Documents by readdle. Use the in app web browser and go to savefrom.net. You can use that web to download videos to your Mac too.

EDIT: Well, you don't need a 3rd party app really, I only use it cause that way the web do not show me ads or redirection me to a website.
Looks like savefrom.net has shut down. Any alternatives?

timsalt

macrumors newbie
Nov 5, 2022
This is not true anymore - you can download youtube videos on Chrome.

Now I have the same issue - want to find the video files on my Mac but cannot - even though I successfully downloaded on Chrome

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.