Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
This morning I turned my iPhone 5s with some version of iOS 7 on and a pop up popped up: Sign In to iCloud.

I tapped cancel, but it popped right back up. I kept canceling, but it keeps popping up. I can't use my phone because it pops up faster than I can activate any apps.

I've been using this phone for years without signing in to iCloud. I don't use iCloud and I don't want to. It's my phone, and I shouldn't have to sign in to anything external to use it, dammit!

Please tell me this is a bug with an easy fix.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Could it simply be related to the App Store? Can you try checking your settings to make sure iCloud is in fact not in use at all and perhaps sign out and sign back into the App Store/iTunes Store?

spellflower

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 7, 2005
Could it simply be related to the App Store? Can you try checking your settings to make sure iCloud is in fact not in use at all and perhaps sign out and sign back into the App Store/iTunes Store?

It wasn't easy because I had less than a second in which to open apps between canceling one pop-up and getting another one, but I got into settings and it turns out that I am using iCloud, but just for Notes backup- I thought that was a Mail function, but it's worth it to me to sign in for so I caved and signed in.

I still think it's a really bad design to have incessant pop-ups. The pop-up telling me that data or wifi are turned off are the absolute worst thing about iOS. I can't check my email or change music on the subway without closing a few messages telling me something I'm well aware of, every damn time.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.