Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The Land of Hope and Glory
I need to make a macOS virtual machine, but I'm not sure where you go to download the installer required to create a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion Pro. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?

Once I have Ventura installed, I'll upgrade to the latest public beta of macOS 14.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
The installer is the standard one from the App Store. You can even use the Recovery Volume of your current machine to create one:

1690570026712.png

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
The installer is the standard one from the App Store. You can even use the Recovery Volume of your current machine to create one:
Thank you. The weird thing is I don't get that screen at all. This is what is shown to me:

Screenshot 2023-07-28 at 19.49.46.png

I'm not sure what I am doing wrong. I am using the latest tech preview of VMWare Fusion Pro but it was the same when I was using 13.

kitKAC

macrumors 6502a
Feb 26, 2022
Weird, my screenshot is from 13.0.2 Player. Well if you download the installer from the App Store and drop it onto "Install from disc or image" at the top, that should kick it off.

Edit: I'm on a 2018 Intel machine, maybe that's why the recovery option is available for me.

Reactions: gilby101

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania
I need to make a macOS virtual machine, but I'm not sure where you go to download the installer required to create a virtual machine using VMWare Fusion Pro. Can someone point me in the right direction, please?
What is your host Mac?
If it is Apple Silicon, you will be very limited in what the VM can do.
If it is Intel then from an ISO image of the macOS installer you want to use. Or as @kitKAC suggests from the recovery partition.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
What is your host Mac?
If it is Apple Silicon, you will be very limited in what the VM can do.
If it is Intel then from an ISO image of the macOS installer you want to use. Or as @kitKAC suggests from the recovery partition.
The host Mac is an M1 Max Studio.
If you are on Apple Silicon you can also use VirtualBuddy
Virtualbuddy
Thank you. I'll look at that.

gilby101

macrumors 68030
Mar 17, 2010
Tasmania

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006
That is a shame. Thankfully my primary use of Fusion Pro is to run Linux but I was hoping to run the latest developer betas in a VM so that I didn't need to update my main work machine to test everything out.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
That is a shame. Thankfully my primary use of Fusion Pro is to run Linux but I was hoping to run the latest developer betas in a VM so that I didn't need to update my main work machine to test everything out.
The suggestion to use VirtualBuddy in post 6 of this thread is a good one. It works well to virtualize macOS on Apple Silicon, although macOS limitations prevent features from snapshots from existing.

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
Read this https://eclecticlight.co/2023/06/20...ising-macos-on-apple-silicon-and-what-doesnt/ and other posts from Howard Oakley to get a feel of what you can do with ASi virtualisation. Whilst Howard tends to dismiss it, Fusion has the same capabilities and limitations as other vm (free or paid) products.

The days of running fully capable macOS in a VM are over.
Fusion is more limited in that it provides no macOS virtualization on Apple Silicon. Parallels Desktop allows it although it still has the same limitations of any other app using Apple’s frameworks. Fusion’s virtualization of Windows on Arm has been pretty terrible and lags far behind Parallels, although their new Tech Preview closes the gap in many ways. The initial VM setup process in the Fusion Tech Preview still requires the user to find a Windows ISO, unlike how Parallels does it.

Cromulent

macrumors 604
Original poster
Oct 2, 2006

chrfr

macrumors G5
Jul 11, 2009
so is virtualizing Sonoma via Fusion doable on AS?
No, Fusion still has no support for virtualizing macOS in Apple Silicon. If you need that look at Parallels Desktop or one of the free tools like VirtualBuddy.

Reactions: hoodafoo

hoodafoo

macrumors 6502a
Oct 11, 2020
Lso Angeles
Thank you for confirming. I was banging my head trying to get it to go yesterday. Wished VMware had a simple matrix on their product website stating this

haralds

macrumors 68030
Jan 3, 2014
Silicon Valley, CA
I own the latest versions of both Parallels Desktop and VMware Fusion since I used them for development on both Intel and Apple Silicon. I have used VMware Fusion since version 1. But today, there is no question that the best option for paid VMs is Parallels Desktop, especially on Apple Silicon. It is superior in the feature set, ease of use, and performance.

For free macOS guest virtualization, I would choose Howard Oakley's Viable, While you are there, look at all the other free utilities Howard keeps crafting.

macOS virtualization on Apple Silicon can be high-performance. But it is seriously crippled in not supporting Apple ID-related services, eg, no App Store, no iCloud.

BTW, Parallels Desktop superbly supports Windows 11 (ARM64.) This is now officially supported by Microsoft!

Reactions: hoodafoo
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.