Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

captainparanoid

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 11, 2010
I am trying to install Snow Leopard as a virtual server onto Mavericks in order to run Macromedia Freehand MX.

I tried to do this using Parallels and Mac OSX Snow Leopard Server 10.6.7 Intel AMD Vmware Image.rar
but it would not install? I have researched this on the Parallels help site and it says Snow Leopard will not install using Parallels although other people seem to have used this successfully?

Any ideas?

Thanks

California

macrumors 68040
Aug 21, 2004
I am trying to install Snow Leopard as a virtual server onto Mavericks in order to run Macromedia Freehand MX.

I tried to do this using Parallels and Mac OSX Snow Leopard Server 10.6.7 Intel AMD Vmware Image.rar
but it would not install? I have researched this on the Parallels help site and it says Snow Leopard will not install using Parallels although other people seem to have used this successfully?

Any ideas?

Thanks

You cannot install SLeopard on any Mac built after the 2011 MacBook Pros. Not even the 2011 Mac Mini will run Snow Leopard, though the 2011 iMac will.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Dec 10, 2008
Parallels lets you install Lion or newer without any problem. It won't let you install Snow Leopard, only Snow Leopard Server, which was a separate OS. It's a licensing technicality - the Snow Leopard licence had a condition that said you can install one copy of the OS on one physical Apple-branded computer. They dropped this licence condition when they switched to selling OS X through the App Store with Lion.

Parallels actively checks the virtual hard drive to make sure you're not trying to run the ordinary Snow Leopard. It doesn't just do this when you install - it does it every time you start the VM.

If I remember correctly, it is possible to trick Parallels by changing one of the .plist files in the installer, and changing it again on the installed machine. But if the .plist file ever gets reset (for example, a software update overwriting the file), Parallels will refuse to boot it.

You might have better luck with VirtualBox. It's a little bit fiddlier to set up an OS X guest in VirtualBox, but they don't proactively enforce Apple's licensing technicalities like Parallels do.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.