Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So anyone interested in Meteor Lake?? Ice Lake, Tiger Lake, Alder Lake, Raptor Lake which equals 4 generations of officially commercially available 10nm process with an earlier generation that never really made it to market. I really hope that Intel can speed up their process upgrades because I doubt 7nm should go another 4 generations with the competition they are facing. Back to 2 gens per architecture. First is new architecture and second is optimization and then rinse and repeat. Tick, tock.

I digress from my rant there. Anyone going to bite the bullet on a Meteor Lake laptop or desktop?

I am interested and am a sucker as being an early adopter.

If anyone does get something with a Core Ultra anything please let us know your feedback.

1BadManVan

macrumors 68040
Dec 20, 2009
Bc Canada
Seen lots of reviews, the biggest take aways are battery life, arc graphics and thermals. Performance wise they are a bit of a step down from the 13tgh gens so far, especially in single core performance

Reactions: Technerd108

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
Seen lots of reviews, the biggest take aways are battery life, arc graphics and thermals. Performance wise they are a bit of a step down from the 13tgh gens so far, especially in single core performance
Just like the first widespread commercial release of 10nm on Ice Lake. Intel had pushed 14nm so far that the first series of 10nm was a bit of a let down. It was still a decent cpu for the time.

I think the Ultra 7 155 is a lot more interesting than the quad core Ice Lake. I guess considering before 8th gen all mobile PC's got were dual core cpu unless they were huge gaming laptops so compared to Kaby lake they were a big deal. Now we have big/little cores and a better process at 7nm finally. The integrated ARC graphics seem pretty impressive so far.

Next gen will probably be a lit faster.

But what people aren't considered is not peak burst speeds but sustainable high load with less or no throttling on the new generation vs 13th gen which ran hot, throttled and consumed a lot of juice. So while top burst speed might be a little less the ability to sustain those top scores should be better than last year.

I will be interested to see real world results before I believe Intel or the skeptics.

Technerd108

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Oct 24, 2021
So I have some initial tests scores of the core ultra 155h on geekbench and so far it is not hugely faster than the i7 13700h but it is still faster by about 100 points in single core and about 1000 in mutli core. Not earth shattering and not even a 10% boost. But it is not slower than the i7 13700h and that is with two less P cores. I am sure with some updates they may get a few more percent out of the 155h.

However, thermals seem better and so does battery life in initial tests. What I need to see are stress tests. If the 155h throttles significantly less than it may actually be a lot faster than the i7 13700h under sustained load. We will have to see.

People have been talking about per watt efficiency and it seems at least Intel is heading in the right direction.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.