Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steve217

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Nov 11, 2011
NC
Just curious about the sound quality of the Mac Studio's internal speaker?

Are they as bad as the M1 Mac mini's - the yardstick by which bad speakers are judged - or are they useable?

Mr.Blacky

Cancelled
Jul 31, 2016
Who is judging those speakers on sound quality? 😆😆 They are for system sounds at most.

Martyimac

macrumors 68020
Aug 19, 2009
S. AZ.
Just curious about the sound quality of the Mac Studio's internal speaker?

Are they as bad as the M1 Mac mini's - the yardstick by which bad speakers are judged - or are they useable?
I misread the OP, the internal speaker isn't as good. But since I only hear that on startup, it's a non issue for me.

Last edited:

Boil

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Chris Hau talks about the sound quality of the Mac Studio/M1 Max speakers in this video:

He talks about the speakers in the Studio Display, does not say word one about the speaker in the Mac Studio...

From the 2020 ASi M1 Mac mini teardown video & this Max Tech 2022 M1 Ultra Mac Studio teardown, the speaker looks to be the same in both...?

Steve121178

macrumors 603
Apr 13, 2010
Bedfordshire, UK
Haven't heard them for myself but I also saw a video on YouTube and the internal speaker was very tinny and poor. Obviously it can be used as a backup should your speakers fail or whatever, but using a set of proper speakers is a given.

4sallypat

macrumors 68040
Sep 16, 2016
So Calif
Haven't heard from the Mac Studio nor ASD internal speakers, I use a DAC, amplifier & 3 speaker setup for my sound.

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
In a pinch, the studio speaker could be fine, but really I don’t think anyone should use the studio speaker for their daily use. It’s just one single driver and doesn’t sound all too great.

Reactions: Martyimac

kobaltz

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2010
They basically sound like a cheap $15 speaker that you'd get off of ebay, turned all the way up and placed inside of a sealed box. My kids have a pair of $20 Logitech speakers that sound better than the Mac Studio's speaker.

OldMike

macrumors 6502a
Mar 3, 2009
Dallas, TX
They basically sound like a cheap $15 speaker that you'd get off of ebay, turned all the way up and placed inside of a sealed box. My kids have a pair of $20 Logitech speakers that sound better than the Mac Studio's speaker.

The internal speaker on the Mac Studio is for emergency use only...

Yeah, it's a shame they couldn't afford to put a speaker in the Mac Studio that would match even a low end $20 speaker.

Reactions: steve217

doyouspeakwingdings

macrumors newbie
Aug 11, 2018

Unfortunately, I can confirm this is accurate. $7000 computer. 50 cent speaker.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
...and putting $1 speakers in a headless desktop would be a waste of 50c.

They're perfectly adequate for playing desktop alert sounds and being able to hear the speech on videos. Which is exactly what is needed. It's supposed to be a "modular" system - if you need high quality sound you add whatever type of external speakers or headphones are most appropriate to your work.

Apple have tried a bit harder with the iMac, MacBook Pro and the Studio Display (...which I haven't heard so I'm assuming that it's just a bit better than the 27" iMac) - and even the iPad. Those speakers are absolutely amazing considering the space constraints, but the key there is "considering the space constraints" - they're still blown away by any half-decent external speakers. In those cases, we're talking about all-in-one or mobile devices where there's a reasonable use case for having them work well as self-contained devices.

The Mac Studio is intended to be connected to external peripherals - and a significant part of the target market of the Mac Studio is video and audio work where audio quality matters, and users are not going to be satisfied by any speakers that will fit into a Mac Studio-size computer. Sure, Apple could have made the Studio a bit taller and fitted in a Homepod - but what for?

Jorbanead

macrumors 65816
Aug 31, 2018
Correct and that’s how it should be. This machine is a headless desktop. It’s made to be used with other peripherals, including speakers.

For audio or video professionals - whom this desktop is marketed towards, we all have dedicated DAC’s and studio monitors.

Reactions: colodane

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
FWIW it’s better than the Mac Pro 5,1’s internal speaker

I don’t mind watching some YouTube videos or listening to a podcast using the internal speaker. It saves me turning on all my gear when I’m not doing ‘real work’ (music)

OSB

macrumors regular
Oct 27, 2015
FWIW it’s better than the Mac Pro 5,1’s internal speaker

I don’t mind watching some YouTube videos or listening to a podcast using the internal speaker. It saves me turning on all my gear when I’m not doing ‘real work’ (music)
My m1 mini and my Studio sit one atop the other, so for ***** and giggles I compared the speakers on each with a couple of tracks. I'm not going to pretend I did a big double-blind test, but The Studio's speaker is better than the mini's. Still pretty crap, but definitely, clearly better.

Reactions: Sharky II

fl_digital_solns

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2022
I agree with doyouspeakwingdings. For my $4500 Mac Studio, I'd expect the speakers to be at least like my 12 year old mid 2010 iMac this is replacing. I mean I'm not a gaming geek, but I want to hear some tunes while I work. I will try to get a mini display adapter and use the old iMac for a monitor and hope I can get the sound coming out of it. Fingers crossed.

Sharky II

macrumors 6502a
Jan 6, 2004
United Kingdom
Save your cash - you can't use the 2010 iMac as an external monitor on modern computers, Apple have bizarrely disabled that functionality.

• The other Mac that you're connecting it to must have been introduced in 2019 or earlier and have macOS Catalina or earlier installed.

theluggage

macrumors 604
Jul 29, 2011
For my $4500 Mac Studio, I'd expect the speakers to be at least like my 12 year old mid 2010 iMac this is replacing.
Expectations may vary - I'd never expect a headless desktop to have speakers good for anything more than system beeps. The Studio speaker(s?) are more than adequate in that respect and tick the "better than nothing" box - I've heard worse portable radios, and the speakers in my 4k display are, well, differently bad.

The iMac was sold as an all-in-one so you'd expect better - and it's pretty impressive sound for anything built in to a display - even so, I wouldn't listen to an iMac if listening to quarter-decent external speakers was an option.

NB: The Studio doesn't officially support 2010 iMac as a display but - considering that people have reportedly used those iMacs as PC display I don't see why you shouldn't at least get a picture with a USB-C to MiniDP, so it might be worth taking a gamble on a cable. Sound may be another matter. Just remember (you probably know this, but PSA...). that the Apple TB3 to TB2 dongle is *not* what you need.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.