Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tylerjamison

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Hi there,

At my new home we recently had internet service installed. The service includes fast 30 MB/s internet speeds as well as TV and phone. Let me detail my setup so you can have a full understanding. A cable line runs in from our provider to the meeting point of all the ethernet cables for the house. The cable plugs into the modem when one ethernet comes out and plugs into an ethernet switch that all the other ethernet cables that go throughout the house connect to. One of these ethernet cables goes to my room where it plugs into my Time Capsule. I have set up a network through the Time Capsule and have two Air Port Expresses wirelessly extending the network at different locations in the house. The wifi works fine, but here's the problem:

It seems I can only use one ethernet cord at a time. While the Time Capsule is plugged in none of the other ethernet ports work in the house. We have four ports spread throughout the house and I have gone around and tried each one when they are the only cord plugged into the modem and they all work. Therefore, I know that the wiring is not the problem. Next, I thought maybe the ethernet switch had gone out so I bought a new one (D-Link DGS-1008G 8-Port Gigabit Desktop Switch) and installed it last night, but to no avail. I've spoken with the cable provider and they told me that since the modem is working and that we have Wifi and therefore internet there is nothing they can do. They do not deal with the wiring or anything besides their modem.

I'm normally a pretty tech savvy guy, but for some reason this problem is really stumping me!

Any ideas?

Thanks a lot.

Last edited:

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Has the setup you're using worked fine for you before? It seems like it should work fine. It looks like you've tested one cable at a time (worked) and all cables at one time (didn't work). Have you tried 2 to see if that works? Just another troubleshooting step.

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Do you have to do anything like set your switch to clone the MAC address of your new cable modem?

soloer

macrumors 6502a
Sep 27, 2004
Omaha
Not having the switch, I can't answer that. Are you able to connect to the switch and pull up an html page of the settings for it? If so, it would be an option in there.

tylerjamison

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
I tried plugging into the switch directly but could not find an html page to edit the settings on.

Here is some other (maybe) useful info regarding this issue:

The supplied modem is not a router.

Wifi is working, meaning I receive a signal from all of my AirPort devices. The cable modem is not wifi.

The modem provided by the cable provider is a Cisco. Model #: DPC3008

I disconnected the TC at the switch. I then checked the other rooms and the ethernet ports still did not work.

The ethernet is plugged into the TC in the WAN port, not LAN.

The TC is in DHCP and NAT mode, not bridge mode.

samiwas

macrumors 68000
Aug 26, 2006
Atlanta, GA
You need a router in there somewhere. A bunch of cables coming off a switch from your modem won't work if the modem is not a router. Something needs to assign IP addresses to everything downstream.

tylerjamison

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 6, 2010
Figured it all out yesterday:

Here was the old set up:

Modem>Switch>Ethernet in Rooms>TC>AirPort Devices

Here's the setup now:

Modem>TC>Switch>Ethernet in Rooms>AirPort Devices

Works like a charm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.