Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
I have a friend who was recently given an iPhone 5. She has iOS 10 running on it and just this morning she found that she wasn't able to install any apps on it. She did a factory reset but it still refuses to install anything. I recommended she try setting back the time on the phone just to see if that changes anything (it might work, however unlikely, because I know Apple uses a lot of time-based things), and am waiting to see if that has worked.

The specific behavior it exhibits is it will start to download (and I don't even think it gets past that point), and then just stop and act as though the download button was never tapped.

I might be able to get a video of the behavior later if that would help.

Anyone have any ideas?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
I have a friend who was recently given an iPhone 5. She has iOS 10 running on it and just this morning she found that she wasn't able to install any apps on it. She did a factory reset but it still refuses to install anything. I recommended she try setting back the time on the phone just to see if that changes anything (it might work, however unlikely, because I know Apple uses a lot of time-based things), and am waiting to see if that has worked.

The specific behavior it exhibits is it will start to download (and I don't even think it gets past that point), and then just stop and act as though the download button was never tapped.

I might be able to get a video of the behavior later if that would help.

Anyone have any ideas?

This might be the issue where she didn’t install 10.3.4.

See here:

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
This might be the issue where she didn’t install 10.3.4.

See here:

Ok, thank you! I'll pass the article on to her so she can read it. I don't know what update of 10 her phone has, so this might be the case.

If it is, hopefully she doesn't mind using iTunes ?

cmaier

Suspended
Jul 25, 2007
California
Ok, thank you! I'll pass the article on to her so she can read it. I don't know what update of 10 her phone has, so this might be the case.

If it is, hopefully she doesn't mind using iTunes ?
If someone is still running iOS 10 at this point, pretty good chance she isn’t the sort to read tech news sites and to have noticed the warnings about this issue :)

I’m guessing that’s what’s going on.

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
If someone is still running iOS 10 at this point, pretty good chance she isn’t the sort to read tech news sites and to have noticed the warnings about this issue :)

I’m guessing that’s what’s going on.

She's tech-savy and very knowledgeable, it's more iOS 10 out of necessity really. :)

RogerWilco6502

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Jan 12, 2019
Tír na nÓg
Hmm. That sounds like some sort of server issue, that maybe only affected devices with very old OS’s for some reason (typically a certificate issue).
Yea, I think if it happens again (along with trying using iTunes 11 to install apps), I'll suggest maybe setting the date and time to different values to see if that works some magic like it will with older Mac OS installers sometimes.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.