Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SSAJ

macrumors 6502
Aug 30, 2016
Yeah but they do it on iPhones there would be no point left in buying the iPad

Kalloud

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2016
Split screen is the feature I am looking forward to the most in iOS 11, even more than dark mode.
But honestly I don't think apple will implement such feature soon because iOS apps don't automatically scale as android apps do.

BMcCoy

macrumors 68000
Jun 24, 2010
There's a brief example of split screen on the iPhone in this new iOS 11 concept video..

TwoBytes

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Jun 2, 2008
I'd love this.. like the concept video. With screen sizes getting bigger, I can think of a few instances where it would be useful.
On a call taking notes..
watching a video taking notes
productivity when compiling an email with notes
referring to a site and composing a message

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
If Apple does release this feature be prepared to buy the newest phone. I'm sure in true Apple fashion they will make it a feature that works on the new iphones only even though the current hardware can handle it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If Apple does release this feature be prepared to buy the newest phone. I'm sure in true Apple fashion they will make it a feature that works on the new iphones only even though the current hardware can handle it.
Well, to a good degree it often can depend on how well the older hardware would be able to handle it.

Reactions: Cigsm

TMRJIJ

macrumors 68040
Dec 12, 2011
South Carolina, United States
I'd love this.. like the concept video. With screen sizes getting bigger, I can think of a few instances where it would be useful.
On a call taking notes..
watching a video taking notes
productivity when compiling an email with notes
referring to a site and composing a message
Everything you are describing is much more useful on the iPad. The iPhone screen sizes are too small and nobody really uses their phones for that kind of productive work.

Last edited:

itsmilo

Suspended
Sep 15, 2016
Berlin, Germany
Everything you are describing are much more useful on the iPad. The iPhne screen sizes are too small and nobody really uses their phones for that kind of productive work.

Since i cant be productive on either of those two devices i would still welcome split view on the iPhone Plus. The screen is big enough to have a video run on the top half while answering messages on whatsapp at the bottom half

Right now i have to watch something on my Plus and answer on my old 6. quite annoying

cynics

macrumors G4
Jan 8, 2012
Another function majority of user never vill use.

First thing that crossed my mind.

I only use it on the iPad with a calculator app. Due to screen size even that on an iPhone wouldn't be that useful.
[doublepost=1489838803][/doublepost]
Since i cant be productive on either of those two devices i would still welcome split view on the iPhone Plus. The screen is big enough to have a video run on the top half while answering messages on whatsapp at the bottom half

Right now i have to watch something on my Plus and answer on my old 6. quite annoying

I understand your use case and I'm not denying it wouldnt be beneficial to you however to play devils advocate can't you just answer messages from the notification with WhatsApp? I do this with GroupMe and the stock message app without pausing a video, admittedly its a bit intrusive for the video however its unlikely you can reply without taking your eyes off the video anyway.

Plus with your idea you need to fit the video, whatapp and a keyboard on the screen. Seems messy to me personally.

mjschabow

macrumors 601
Dec 25, 2013
It's really not that useful. Samsung has had it for 5 years now and I've owned several of their phones. Using split screen just isn't that convenient compared to normal multitasking.

Statusnone88

macrumors 68000
Jun 19, 2010
Don't care about split screen on my iPhone. I care about being able to answer a phone call without taking me out of whatever app I'm currently using. Like LG and Samsung have been doing for a while now.

Reactions: CagdasCizer

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
PIP at least. Would love to be able to watch a trailer preview in the background while still being able to scroll and read the rest of the article.

Reactions: CagdasCizer

GreyOS

macrumors 68040
Apr 12, 2012
PIP at least. Would love to be able to watch a trailer preview in the background while still being able to scroll and read the rest of the article.
Since they added inline video playback in Safari to iOS 10 on iPhone I've viewed this as having a reasonable chance of making it into iOS 11. The inline stuff seems like it was the first necessary step to making PIP possible, because it created a mini player with mini controls, just like we see with PIP on Apple's other devices.

CagdasCizer

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2015
Tbh I used it with a jb tweak and even 5.5 inch screen is too small for most multitasking. I've got a lot of friends with android devices supporting split screen and they also believe that it is not that useful. Altough I wouldnt mind having it and agree that it could be useful for certain occasions it is not a ''must'' for me.
[doublepost=1490100071][/doublepost]
Don't care about split screen on my iPhone. I care about being able to answer a phone call without taking me out of whatever app I'm currently using. Like LG and Samsung have been doing for a while now.
Now this is really annoying and tbh really easy to fix.

Reactions: Statusnone88

ZEEN0j

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2014
I'd like split screen on my iPhone. Having it locked to portrait would be the easiest way so you can just cut the app in half.

chekz0414

macrumors 6502a
Jul 3, 2011
FL
Picture in Picture too. :) I can see them restricting it to 3GB RAM iPhones like the 7 Plus and the newest version only

Will22

macrumors 65816
Dec 4, 2011
MWC 2017: LG G6 phone is made for split-screen apps
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-39095120

Surely the plus size phones could do with this

No it is not needed, but when/if Apple do it people will think it is fabulous. Remember people laughing at 5.5" screen phones, how many of them now have a plus?:)

You would be surprised at the amount of people that need Apple to 'tell' them they need something.

Reactions: M5RahuL
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.