Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chumkiu

macrumors member
May 23, 2008
Hollywood
I jumped from an iPhone 7plus with 12.4 to an iPhone 11 with 13.1 and Mail is absolutely screwed. I don’t receive notifications, my mail count on the badge is incorrect and the worst is that when I go and check my mail at the end of the day, in the app it will say “last checked.. 10:14am” and has basically not pushed any email the whole day..
I might move to spark for the time being as can’t afford to have email this broken right now.

blulegend

macrumors regular
Apr 15, 2008
Does 13.1.2 fix this despite not being listed in the release notes? I have some colleagues that are having this issue with our G Suite Business email accounts using exchange.

R.C.Armstrong

macrumors newbie
Feb 27, 2011
San Diego,Ca.
We have office365 hosted exchange. Had the same problems on 13.0. Upgraded to 13.1 this morning fixed the issues with 13 but added a new issue. After replying to an email on the iPhone, I don’t get the “reply” icon/badge when viewing that email in O365 online. It does show the icon/badge on the iPhone.

JoshVB

macrumors regular
Original poster
Dec 28, 2002
Does 13.1.2 fix this despite not being listed in the release notes? I have some colleagues that are having this issue with our G Suite Business email accounts using exchange.

Initial reports I've read indicate that the issue still exists in iOS 13.1.2

drmorley

macrumors member
Jun 16, 2010
Chicago
We have office365 hosted exchange. Had the same problems on 13.0. Upgraded to 13.1 this morning fixed the issues with 13 but added a new issue. After replying to an email on the iPhone, I don’t get the “reply” icon/badge when viewing that email in O365 online. It does show the icon/badge on the iPhone.

I’m in the same boat. Thought I was losing my mind thinking I had replied when I wasn’t showing the reply badge online or in Outlook.

dyzfnctional

macrumors 6502
Aug 6, 2008
my gmail blanks out when trying to refresh or get new mail. guess ill download gmail app as well until fixed.

Xeeno

macrumors newbie
Nov 4, 2010
Can't save Drafts (they just disappear) and the 3D Touch/Haptic Menu for Mail always shows "No Unread Messages" and "No Flagged Messages" even though there are. Tried different servers and even different account types (e.g. G-Mail); some of the problems always remain.

iOS 13.1.1 / Exchange 2010 (EAS 14.1)

jibber4568

macrumors member
Apr 4, 2011
I've been having all of these issues since iOS13 release. After speaking with Apple I think I've finally sorted mine out. You may not need to follow the first steps as I assume it was the second onces that actually resolved it but this is what we went through.

First Steps
- Remove all mail accounts
- Delete native mail app
- Download native mail app from App Store (DO NOT OPEN IT)
- Restart phone

Second Steps
-
Plug phone into pc/mac and open iTunes (ensure iTunes is up to date)
- On phone hold down power and volume down buttons until iTunes tells you phone is in recovery mode.
- In iTunes click the option to update to latest iOS (even though you are already on it)
- After phone boots back up readd your mail accounts.

Hopefully they will all work as expected after this.

Reactions: newellj

dflick

macrumors newbie
Jun 14, 2006
Astoria, NY
I've been having all of these issues since iOS13 release. After speaking with Apple I think I've finally sorted mine out. You may not need to follow the first steps as I assume it was the second onces that actually resolved it but this is what we went through.

First Steps
- Delete native mail app
- Restart phone

Second Steps
-
- On phone hold down power and volume down buttons until iTunes tells you phone is in recovery mode.
- In iTunes click the option to update to latest iOS (even though you are already on it)

Do let us know!!!

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden

First Steps
- Delete native mail app
- Restart phone

Second Steps
-

Were you getting notifications, or was that also a problem with your mail accounts?

sbailey4

macrumors 601
Dec 5, 2011
USA
That would be great. I wonder how long until they take notice and fix it?? I had to unbox my XS max, downgrade to 12.4.1 and am using that until they fix the OS and I can use the 11 pro max again. Very frustrating.
Wait, you are doing all that and keeping your new iP11 Pro boxed up just because mail doesn't download until you open the mail app? I mean how do you read the mail before you open it anyways? Perhaps installing the Outlook app may make more since until this is finally sorted. But really?! The OP said he had to enable airplane mode to verify it wasn't downloading in the background but point being does it really matter that much that you cant use your new device? I mean if you have to turn on airplane mode to even know it. For what its worth Gmail stopped supporting push with Apple mail app years ago so it only downloads when app is open too but somehow I have managed :)

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
Do let us know!!!

Did not solve any of my notification problems. :-/
[automerge]1569972458[/automerge]
Wait, you are doing all that and keeping your new iP11 Pro boxed up just because mail doesn't download until you open the mail app? I mean how do you read the mail before you open it anyways? Perhaps installing the Outlook app may make more since until this is finally sorted. But really?! The OP said he had to enable airplane mode to verify it wasn't downloading in the background but point being does it really matter that much that you cant use your new device? I mean if you have to turn on airplane mode to even know it. For what its worth Gmail stopped supporting push with Apple mail app years ago so it only downloads when app is open too but somehow I have managed :)

Our corporate email is push, managed by "Hub" (f/k/a AirWatch), and I don't get notifications, which is a big problem, since I carry the phone in a pocket and notifications essentially serve as a pager for me. When the phone vibrates, I know I need to check my email. Having to continually pull out the phone and check for new emails is a big issue. I'm seriously considering returning the 11PM and purchasing a new XS Max (since Apple has my old one) and using that instead - probably until this time next year.

FWIW, I don't get notifications for iCloud or Gmail, either, and notifications are also not working for Messages.

Last edited:

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
That is not the only issue with mail. I use my phone strictly for business emails and phone calls. I typically get and have to respond to about 250 emails a day. Without mail working ios13 is unusable for me. It will not forward attachments or the entire string of emails, new messages don’t always notify me and when I go into the app there are many emails sitting there. If I read and delete an email it will still show up as unread. I’ve tried the outlook app and it isn’t a reasonable replacement for me. So yes, really the new phone is waiting for them to fix this mess.

newellj

macrumors G3
Oct 15, 2014
East of Eden
That is not the only issue with mail. I use my phone strictly for business emails and phone calls. I typically get and have to respond to about 250 emails a day. Without mail working ios13 is unusable for me. It will not forward attachments or the entire string of emails, new messages don’t always notify me and when I go into the app there are many emails sitting there. If I read and delete an email it will still show up as unread. I’ve tried the outlook app and it isn’t a reasonable replacement for me. So yes, really the new phone is waiting for them to fix this mess.

Similar situation, but I don't have my XS Max and I can't see buying another and keeping the 11PM. I have thought about selling the XSM when 13 runs properly, but at that point it may be January and at that point waiting until 9/20 doesn't feel so awful.

smf72

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2010
Does anyone know if 13.2 beta addressed the ongoing mail issue? Desperate for a fix :)

Mkraft3003

macrumors member
Sep 24, 2019
Does anyone know if 13.2 beta addressed the ongoing mail issue? Desperate for a fix :)
Just downloaded it and still not fixed. Some messages will forward the attachment and others will not. Also when receiving a new email sometimes it won’t show read and if I read and delete it will still be in the inbox as unread. I’m at a loss how they messed up a core application.

Reactions: thewhitehart

CTHarrryH

macrumors 68030
Jul 4, 2012
I find this sort of hard to believe that this bug made it through beta testing (let alone alpha) - this isn't some strange combination of things but just,for me and others on this forum, happens with a variety of mail providers and happens all the time. Please just fix it

Reactions: thewhitehart
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.