Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

HopeWV

macrumors regular
Apr 22, 2015
Does the first Beta build only release for developer or it can be install by user ?

Generally only for developers. It’s often way too buggy to be used on a day to day phone. I use it on my day to day, simply because I don’t have the luxury of being able to purchase just a “development” phone. Knock on wood, I haven’t had much trouble out of them. Just lots of crashes and restarts.

Reactions: adrianlondon

TimFL1

macrumors 68000
Jul 6, 2017
Germany
I hope they have worked hard to deliver a less annoying and more satisfying experiece from the get go with iOS 14. People (at least the MR people) have had a tough time with iOS 13 particularly with Mail. ;)

A big portion of iOS 14 was developed in home office with approximately 50 articles of Apple employees complaining about subpar work experiences due to the spontaneous home office movement (Apples secrecy etc handicapping development).

I hope this one is better than iOS 13 was in the begin, but I wouldn‘t be surprised if it‘s just another trainwreck from the get go. I‘d keep my expectations in check.

s2mike

macrumors 68020
Sep 14, 2015
Yeah...given Apple’s recent track record, I’m expecting Beta 1 to be an absolute dumpster fire.

huanbrother

macrumors regular
Dec 20, 2012
CHINA
Will be an earlier adopter, as usual, prepared for the first 2 weeks of all kinds of frustrations --- battery drain, incompatibility with banking apps, etc.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
Yeah...given Apple’s recent track record, I’m expecting Beta 1 to be an absolute dumpster fire.
iOS 12 betas were quite good (after iOS 11 not being received all that well by many).

adrianlondon

macrumors 603
Nov 28, 2013
Switzerland
Hope it's released today. I'm not a developer, but enjoy the excitement of being in these threads and discovering new ways my phone/apps can crash and burn.

I'll be doing a full backup and if the first beta really kills something important to me I'll simply restore back to iOS13. Normally, I just live with the issues as the core functionality (calls, Facetime, messages, internet access) hasn't totally screwed up yet. Oh wait, I lie. One iOS 13 beta created such an echo on FT calls that I had to go back one.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010
I’ve used every new iOS beta 1 since maybe iOS 4 on my daily driver. Looking forward to feeling like my phone is new again later today. The only thing that I can’t deal with are apps that aren’t compatible with the newer version of iOS and crash. Wasn’t too bad for iOS 13/12 so let’s hope 14 is the same. Battery drain and minor UI bugs aren’t a big deal and to be expected.

Puppuccino

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2019
United Kingdom
When do you think the public betas will come out for iOS 14?

I know iOS 14 was only just announced but I'm curious too know who long it may be. I'm assuming it'll be similar if not the same time frame as the iOS 13 public betas perhaps?

iOS Geek

macrumors 68000
Nov 7, 2017
There seems to be a "by invitation only" thing going on. I got an email today and after following the steps in it and installing the beta profile, I was able to install "iPadOS 14 Public Beta 1". (Yes...it is referred to as PUBLIC, which I found interesting). Also installed tvOS 14. Despite also receiving the invitation for macOS and iOS, I have not downloaded the betas on those. I use my Mac for work, so I can't risk a beta on it. As for iOS, I'm going to wait a bit (as I usually do). iOS I usually wait a few betas before I jump on.

iPadOS is surprisingly smooth so far (although I did have one instance where I was kicked back to my lock screen while changing a wallpaper. But for being a Beta 1...I'm impressed so far). tvOS is a little "sticky" (don't really know how else to describe it) when scrolling quickly.

Very interestingly though, I was also sent an invitation for HomePodOS betas. Haven't downloaded that one yet though.

vbctv

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Cleveland, OH
There seems to be a "by invitation only" thing going on. I got an email today and after following the steps in it and installing the beta profile, I was able to install "iPadOS 14 Public Beta 1". (Yes...it is referred to as PUBLIC, which I found interesting). Also installed tvOS 14. Despite also receiving the invitation for macOS and iOS, I have not downloaded the betas on those. I use my Mac for work, so I can't risk a beta on it. As for iOS, I'm going to wait a bit (as I usually do). iOS I usually wait a few betas before I jump on.

iPadOS is surprisingly smooth so far (although I did have one instance where I was kicked back to my lock screen while changing a wallpaper. But for being a Beta 1...I'm impressed so far). tvOS is a little "sticky" (don't really know how else to describe it) when scrolling quickly.

Very interestingly though, I was also sent an invitation for HomePodOS betas. Haven't downloaded that one yet though.
Correct this is the Customer beta (same as developer beta) thru Appleseed.apple.com. I was invited to all the betas and installed them. HomePod beta was very simple and had no issues, came in at 1.92gb. tvOS requires no profile, it’s linked to your AppleID if you turn on Beta updates on TV.

pamar

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2018
To download the DP1 do you need the full membership or just the free enrolment as a developer?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.