Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Came on the forum to pose this same question. Downloaded and installed ios16 last night to my SE2…and battery consumption was absolutely atrocious today. It was draining at literally twice the amount as prior with ios15. Hope apple fixes this issue soon because this is really drastic. I’ve also noticed that webpages like to stutter and not load up the first time you visit the page. Hit the refresh on it and then it loads fully without issue
How can I downgrade? My phone lasts less than half what it lasted before the upgrade.

Reactions: delsoul

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
Yeah. Is there any way to downgrade? I’m gonna eat until Friday to see if it fixes itself otherwise I have to downgrade. I’m at 20% after a full charge, that never happened before.
On 13 Pro here & battery drain has been really noticeable.

SmugMaverick

macrumors 6502a
Aug 31, 2017
UK
13 pro. Running like a 2009 Android.

Battery is disgusting and seems to overheat while charging.

Removed all Lock Screen widgets now. See if that helps, I bet we’ll see a 16.0.1

uncming

macrumors member
Sep 23, 2014
On my 13 pro max, I’m not seeing a drain overnight when the phone is unused, but am definitely seeing it drain quicker during normal usage. Have been down to 50 ish percent by end of the day where its normally down to about 70 by the end of the day

Battery Health is 100%

Last edited:

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
How can I downgrade? My phone lasts less than half what it lasted before the upgrade.
I wish I knew how. My phone is barely off the charger more than 4 hours now and has already dropped from 100% to 53%. My battery health is 100% because I recently had a new one installed on my SE2. Usually my phone would barely have dropped anything after only 4 hours. Apple really screwed something up on this update

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Why is nobody talking about this?

Running on a 13 Pro and I'm getting noticeable battery drain compared to iOS 15.6.1. Anyone else having the same issue? Can't imagine the battery drain on older phones.

I had to recharge mid way through the day (I don't allow my phone to dip below 30% to keep battery health in tip top shape). FYI my battery health is at 99%. And yes, this is iOS 16 production (non beta)

Your phone will need 24hrs to settle after an update.
Then try a few hard restarts - volume up, then down, then hold the power button till you see the apple logo.

Reactions: O.N.Y.X

Pearsey

Contributor
Nov 12, 2016
Royal Tunbridge Wells
Battery drain hasn't really been an issue on the betas of 16.
A few devices mentioned some drain, but the majority of us found the battery solid and improved.

Try a few hard restarts - press volume up, then press volume down, then hold the power button till you see the apple logo.

Last edited:
Reactions: O.N.Y.X

Pandyone

macrumors regular
Sep 30, 2021
I would wait for a few days or as previously mentioned reboot the phone, either just regular or hard restarts.
Im not a power user, but I’m not seeing any huge battery drain and it might in fact be better than 15.6.1 on my device.

E273E62C-48FB-4082-83E0-2CFC55421512.jpeg

Reactions: DeadKlau5

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
How is it that there's a battery drain thread every time after an iOS release?
People expect everything to work on day 1 despite hundreds of posts advising giving it a few days. Every year it's the same old cycle.

Different people each time maybe..? I've literally never had an issue with battery drain after any iOS release until this one. It's depleting incredibly fast. Hence checking out these forums to see if it was just me.

I'll give it a couple of days though and see if it settles.

Coffee50

macrumors 6502a
Apr 23, 2015
Different people each time maybe..? I've literally never had an issue with battery drain after any iOS release until this one. It's depleting incredibly fast. Hence checking out these forums to see if it was just me.

Same here!

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021

Yeah. This is also the first time that dis happens to me. Im gonna try a restart

Reactions: sorgo †

aohus

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Apr 4, 2010
sky
Battery drain hasn't really been an issue on the betas of 16.
A few devices mentioned some drain, but the majority of us found the battery solid and improved.

Try a few hard restarts - volume up, then down, then hold the power button till you see the apple logo.
thats not a thing, volume up, down and holding power button doesnt do anything

nvm you press quickly not hold it down.

either way im on another cycle and battery life has not improved. i may just downgrade to ios 15.7

delsoul

macrumors 6502
Mar 7, 2014
I literally saw my battery drop 2% in one minute. Apple really goofed this one up imo. Never had any issues like this before on any updates aside from this update.

Battery just dropped another percentage as I typed this posting. Might take my SIM card out and go back to using my old Huawei phone until apple gets their act together. I’ve also been having the heat issue that a few others have been talking about. Gets hot like it’s been sitting on the charger for a long time in the car with the sun in it…but it’s not connected to any charger at all.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
13 Pro, no difference in battery life for me. Home & Lock Screen only used 2% battery on the current cycle, I have the dynamic weather wallpaper and two complications (weather & calendar) on my lock screen, dynamic weather also for my home screen. Background activity for Weather was 8% (6 min), Calendar didn't even register for battery usage.

I'm seeing more discharge than usual, but it's because I've been using the phone a lot more - playing with settings, tweaking things, switching back and forth between wallpapers, updating apps, etc. I expected it and it's not out of line with what I normally see from my phone.

nomad01

macrumors 68000
Aug 1, 2005
Birmingham, England
13 Pro, no difference in battery life for me. Home & Lock Screen only used 2% battery on the current cycle, I have the dynamic weather wallpaper and two complications (weather & calendar) on my lock screen, dynamic weather also for my home screen. Background activity for Weather was 8% (6 min), Calendar didn't even register for battery usage.

I'm seeing more discharge than usual, but it's because I've been using the phone a lot more - playing with settings, tweaking things, switching back and forth between wallpapers, updating apps, etc. I expected it and it's not out of line with what I normally see from my phone.
Thats the same Lock Screen and complications that I have. Yesterday I was working so didn't have time to play with the new features. The battery was 60% by 11am. Thats insanely fast depletion compared to what I'd normally see. Hopefully it'll settle down.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

azhava

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2010
Arizona, USA
I am back to this „Find My“ over night drain s**t again 😵‍💫
The "Find My" thing is strange, seems it only randomly affects certain devices. I have one person and five Apple devices connected to it, and "Find My" doesn't even register in my battery usage unless I actually open the app and use it.

contacos

macrumors 601
Nov 11, 2020
Mexico City living in Berlin
The "Find My" thing is strange, seems it only randomly affects certain devices. I have one person and five Apple devices connected to it, and "Find My" doesn't even register in my battery usage unless I actually open the app and use it.

I am about to remove my AirTags from the device and add them to my phone from work instead to see if that makes any difference. However, Find My is even shown as #1 on my iPad and I do not even have Find My or Location Services enabled on that device! (doesnt leave the house)

Very strange. I already did multiple restores from scratch without a backup

iPhoneFan5349

macrumors 6502a
Nov 14, 2021
I am about to remove my AirTags from the device and add them to my phone from work instead to see if that makes any difference. However, Find My is even shown as #1 on my iPad and I do not even have Find My or Location Services enabled on that device! (doesnt leave the house)

Very strange. I already did multiple restores from scratch without a backup
I did a clean restore and then downloaded my iCloud backup. I’m gonna check if this helped at all, right now at least I can say the phone is not getting hot like yesterday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.