Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky

Note: Apple has changed the way it names public betas so the release now matches the developer beta it is associated with. Public Beta x is in fact the "first" public beta released (changed number to "x" as public beta is rumored to start with dev beta 3 this year.)

Since I've been maintaining the iOS schedule on the iOS 15 speculation thread, seems like I should start the one for iOS16. I'm sure mods will eventually sticky this in the eventual iOS 16 forum and make this post a Wiki so others can update with me!

Go ahead and start speculating...what are the features you think we will see? What do you WANT to see?

* Always on display...please!!
* Better/Live widgets

Last edited:

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
Hey, everyone. Looking forward to another long round of speculative goodness to help usher in whatever changes iOS 16 and its many versions shall bring. :apple:

Maybe something in the way of some significant, unifying UI design changes/macOS-like icons? It’s been a slow (but sure) aesthetic progression since the iOS 7 days and I personally think we’re overdue for something a bit more (positively) jarring and radical.

Last edited:

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I hope for some UI changes, as the UI has become boring now, after 9-10 years.
Mentioned every year...and every year I feel Apple digs in deeper on NOT changing. To them, it would be change for change sake and not help from a functional standpoint. I think it has been proven from all of the copycat OS's out there that they figured it out and unless screen, memory, etc. makes it possible, the grid layout will stay as is.

And honestly, the addition of widgets/app library really did drastically change the way your phone/iPad can look. I for one am an all widget/app library person. I would just hope that tech now allows more live widgets, animations, etc. I'm a sucker for the flashy active/interactive widgets if possible.

GtrDude

macrumors 6502a
Apr 17, 2011
iOS 16 will probably be yet another useless update where they do something minor and make a big deal about it, a whole new is number, but these are the things I would like to see:

1. redesign the notification center. It's ridiculous. At the very least add "Clear All" button immediately, even if there's only one notification.

2. after Face-ID recognizes you, go directly into the phone home screen. You shouldn't have to swipe up after the phone recognizes you. Or at least make it possible to turn this off and on.

3. make it possible to dismiss Calendar and any notification banner from any app if you're in another app. You shouldn't have to go back to the lock screen or be forced to tap it to get into the app sending it in order to dismiss it.

4. when you're running a count down timer in the clock app you can see on the Locked screen how much time is left, by all means make it possible to go directly to the the timer when you tap the time left on the Locked screen.

5. give us an LED visual for notifications in addition to sound and vibration. Allow us to change the colors of the LED light based on what the notification app is.
The fine folks who like things the way they are can just leave things as is.

6. give us an always-on screen for the clock. On the always-on screen we should also be able to choose if we want to see if we have any notifications (the amount and the app) or if we to just want to see the clock.
Once again, the people who don't like it should be able to turn it off. No more Apple forcing us to do stuff.

7. add haptic feedback to the keyboard and make it possible to customize different intensities to your heart's content.
It's beyond crazy that you have no feedback whatsoever if you're typing and the phone is on mute. Those who are concerned with battery or simply don't like this should be able to turn it off.

8. make it possible to adjust volume for independent apps and settings and not this general thing they're doing. Separate volume control for keyboard volume, music volume, ring volume, system volume.
I, for example, would like the keyboard clicks to be much louder than they are but without it affecting the volume on the entire phone or the ring and notifications volume. It's silly of Apple to force it to be like this.

9. add suggestions from the address book as you start a phone number.
Common now Apple, this has been available for the last 15 years on Android.

10. make it possible to customize the texting app in every conceivable way. Font size, bubble size shape color etc.

11. make it possible to schedule a text message to be sent at a certain time/date. This is a basic feature. Compose your message now and schedule it to be sent when the time is right. I used to use this feature all the time when I had to text people who are in different time zones when they have to get the text at a certain time in their time zone but it's way too late for me to stay up to send the text.

12. use an OS-wide clipboard and make cut and/or copy not expire until you, the user, cleans it.
You should be able to copy text now and paste it tomorrow if you want to.
And 12b make it possible to copy multiple copy entries ready to paste any one of them by long pressing, at least the last 10 cut/copies should be possible.

13. in Mail give us the option to NOT go to the next email when you are deleting an email but to go back to the inbox. Those who want to keep things the way they are should be able to turn this feature off.

14. make it possible to move the icons on the desktop anywhere you want to.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I think this is way to early for this thread, we are 3 months out, I know you wanna be the first but I think it’s to early
The iOS15 speculation thread started earlier...we are on most likely our last beta/step update within the next week or so. Speculation at this point is to features...speculation after WWDC usually revolves around release dates (and promised features).

No one has to participate if they don't want to....I think I was pretty clear on the original post as to why this one was started.

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
The iOS15 speculation thread started earlier...we are on most likely our last beta/step update within the next week or so. Speculation at this point is to features...speculation after WWDC usually revolves around release dates (and promised features).

No one has to participate if they don't want to....I think I was pretty clear on the original post as to why this one was started.
I get that, but I feel the people doing it early just wanna have there name on it for a year, but i feel it’s annoying seeing both 15 and 16 we are like 3 months away maybe a month before is good but it’s done now congrats

Last edited:

Mr. Awesome

macrumors 65816
Feb 24, 2016
Idaho, USA
3. make it possible to dismiss Calendar and any notification banner from any app if you're in another app. You shouldn't have to go back to the lock screen or be forced to tap it to get into the app sending it in order to dismiss it.
You can do this now, actually, it’s just a bit convoluted. You have to swipe the notification down to preview it, and then swipe it down again to dismiss it.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
I get that, but I feel the people doing it early just wanna have there name on it for a year, but u feel it’s annoying seeing both 15 and 16 we are like 3 months away maybe a month before is good but it’s done now congrats
Just so we're clear, I'm confident enough in my place on this forum to NOT start threads unless I feel they are actually needed/wanted....Pearsy loves me and that's all I care about....

sorgo †

Cancelled
Feb 16, 2016
I get that, but I feel the people doing it early just wanna have there name on it for a year, but i feel it’s annoying seeing both 15 and 16 we are like 3 months away maybe a month before is good but it’s done now congrats
It’s actually kind of late considering the fundamental design and feature set of iOS 16 is probably more or less complete at this point. iOS 17 speculation thread, anyone? 🤪

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
It’s actually kind of late considering the fundamental design and feature set of iOS 16 is probably more or less complete at this point. iOS 17 speculation thread, anyone? 🤪
True, but the speculation (like release dates we have done since WWDC last year) is about what they plan to release. The fact that it has been determined already is irrelevant.

At least I HOPE people realize that Apple doesn't read these threads and actually DO something... ;) ....but...you never know. I still dream that they see a suggested feature mentioned over and over again and are somehow able to implement it to appease the users (multiple Safari interface changes during last year's beta cycle anyone....)

Kylo83

macrumors 601
Apr 2, 2020
The whole idea of this thread is when beta releases are released but we don’t need a thread 3 months before it’s gonna be released we know beta 1 is on wwdc 22 but this is to early

• Sad
Reactions: sorgo †

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Original poster
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
The whole idea of this thread is when beta releases are released but we don’t need a thread 3 months before it’s gonna be released we know beta 1 is on wwdc 22 but this is to early
Again, as clearly explained, the speculation thread as issued prior to WWDC is about feature speculation....after WWDC, it is more about the dates, but since all features are not released at iOS launch, it still includes that speculation as well.

So maybe to clarify further, tell us what you think they WILL release as features, not necessarily what you may want...better? (although...it's hard not to beg for/say what we want....)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.