Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
I can assure everyone that Apple fixed this problem. I have been running beta and each time it updated I was hopeful it would fix the issue. Finally the latest beta release fixed it. You can either wait for the public release or go beta now.
Is yours still working 100%?

Wintrmte

macrumors regular
Aug 21, 2006
Idaho
Ah! I thought I was the only one having this issue. I have a 2024 BMW X5 and cannot send / reply to text messages using Siri.

when I say “hey siri send a text message to …” the replies “send a text message to,<whiever>” and she abruptly stops speaking, when I am done saying the message, she says “your message” and just stops. A second later will say “sorry, I cannot show that to you.”

thus has been going on for a while now in the ios17 versions.

Reactions: JBinPDX and Maxell

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Ah! I thought I was the only one having this issue. I have a 2024 BMW X5 and cannot send / reply to text messages using Siri.

when I say “hey siri send a text message to …” the replies “send a text message to,<whiever>” and she abruptly stops speaking, when I am done saying the message, she says “your message” and just stops. A second later will say “sorry, I cannot show that to you.”

thus has been going on for a while now in the ios17 versions.
Yes. This is the problem. Definitely an Apple software bug. Here’s another thread with 7 pages of people saying the same thing across a variety of cars

Jennvis

macrumors newbie
Mar 18, 2024
Same thing happening with my 2024 Kia sorento. iOS 17.4 does not fix the problem with my iPhone 15. Any other ideas?

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Well, sad to report that 17.4.1 does not fix this issue -- at least for me in my 2024 BMW.. :(
17.4.1 does not fix this issue in my Lexus nx 350h 2022 with the small size screen either. I was hoping this update would fix it but now we wait more. I spoke to Apple senior tech and they again acknowledge this is a known software issue on their end and told me to wait for a software update.

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
Just reporting in again... in my RAV4 with the large screen, I've had a lot more success with Siri if I use "Hey Siri" or touch the screen, vs using the speak button on the steering wheel. The speak button always seems to wake up the Toyota assistant, even if I use a long press for Siri. And when the Toyota assistant is awake, that's when I have the most problems with Siri. I think they're fighting with each other. If I use "Hey Siri" then subsequent commands work almost all the time.

els1211

macrumors newbie
Mar 25, 2024
I can't believe this issue has been ongoing for so long. I am part of the Apple forum that has been linked here a few times. While Lexus vehicles are being primarily discussed here, this is an issue for Hyundai, Toyota, Kia, and others. I have a 2024 Hyundai Kona EV and am having the same problems.
17.4 fixed it a bit, as I can send texts more reliably now. However, I still have issues with Siri listening to herself when asking if I want to reply to a text or play music. The audio still does not cut out when trying to send a text and will even unmute itself if I hit the mute button first (aside from Podcasts, they seem to work as it should).
You can use the buttons on-screen to help a bit, but this defeats the hands-free and keeping your eyes on the road point of Apple CarPlay.

Thanks to the OP for the Apple Feedback link. I just submitted that. Here's hoping with enough people complaining about it, it will gain some more traction to get resolved.

LenniK

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
We just purchased a 2024 Santa Fe… text worked once (or twice or three times), then it won’t work, but just stutter…definitely the one time the dealer tried it and told me there was nothing wrong. It’s pretty frustrating when my first experience with Car Play in a car that cost more than my first house causes more distraction/frustration than anything. (I’ve been reading, I know I’m not alone).

Everything works except text - It stutters if I try to send something and sometimes calls the person (or a random person), or tells me it cant do that while in a vehicle.

I wondered about the comment somebody made about the vehicle microphone interfering. I have a speaker button on the steering wheel, but it doesn’t do anything with Car Play… I have to use the screen or “hey siri”. I changed my Siri voice (that somebody else mentioned), but haven’t tried it yet.

I’ll also see if there is a microphone on and off button like the Lexus has.

Has anyone tried anything else?

The dealership told me my phone was too old and they had no problem testing with their phones (I have an iPhone 12, they used an iPhone 6. I‘m a bit worried that they weren’t doing their math on that one).

I’ll see if the new Siri voice works better and will let you know!

LenniK

macrumors newbie
Mar 29, 2024
Here’s my update. I changed Siri from a man’s voice to the woman’s voice we usually hear. I haven’t tried it too many times yet (it seems people are tired of getting “test” messages from me!). When I did try it though, it seemed to work. I’ll come back and whine about it if that changes :).

Reactions: Wintrmte and Maxell

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Downloaded the 17.5 Beta - sad to report, the problem still exists. :(
I was hoping for a fix in 17.5. Can’t believe this issue has been going on for so long. Maybe they’ll fix it in one of the upcoming betas before 17.5 public release

Maxell

macrumors regular
Original poster
Oct 12, 2022
Ah! So far with the second beta of 17.5 this issue seems to be fixed! Will keep testing..
That’s encouraging. I hope it’s a fix across all cars. I’m not on the beta yet so my lexus still has this issue. Wonder when the public release of 17.5 will be? Please post if the fix in 17.5 b2 in your car is a permanent fix this time. Hope so

JBinPDX

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2021
I was also having problems with CarPlay not connecting when I started the car. I tired this and it seemed to help:
- Setting --> Wi-Fi --> car's wifi CarPlay network
- Make sure "Auto-Join" is on
- Make sure "Private Wi-Fi Address" and "Limit IP Address Tracking" are both off

Since I made this change, CarPlay has been connecting with no problems, and text messages are working perfectly as well.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.