Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
Since I upgraded to 17.4 Siri no longer does back-to-back requests. After the first request, the Siri bubble becomes static and stops animating.

Also half of my shortcuts no longer work with Siri. I ask Siri to open them and she does nothing, or says it does not exist. Siri won't even 'restart the iPhone' anymore. She no longer recognizes the request.

Anyone experiencing these issues with 17.4 or know of a fix? Much appreciated.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Since I upgraded to 17.4 Siri no longer does back-to-back requests. After the first request, the Siri bubble becomes static and stops animating.

Also half of my shortcuts no longer work with Siri. I ask Siri to open them and she does nothing, or says it does not exist. Siri won't even 'restart the iPhone' anymore. She no longer recognizes the request.

Works great here, but I did discover that Siri doesn't wake up if the phones screen facing down.
Might always been like that tho, a feature.

Haven't tried any shortcuts.

ManuCH

macrumors 65816
May 7, 2009
Switzerland
Works great here, but I did discover that Siri doesn't wake up if the phones screen facing down.

Settings -> Accessibility -> Siri -> turn on "Always listen for 'Hey Siri'"

Stupid question, but did you try rebooting? And if you did, try to turn off Siri, reboot, and turn Siri on again.

Reactions: P_Watt

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Cheers, I suspected there was a setting that fixed this but hadn't look into it. Nice to get things served :)
I noticed that the setting even has a description below telling that this is exactly what it does.

Reactions: ManuCH

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
It’s not doing unit or currency conversions anymore for me. It shows results on the web.

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
before 17.4 Siri would 'toggle' my lights with only the name of device (ie "hey Siri, desk" and the desk light would toggle to the opposite action - if on, Siri would turn it off and vice versa with the simple command)

Siri will no longer do this SIMPLE action. If you say, "Siri Desk" it asks "do you want it turned on or off?" This is poorly 'corrected'/designed. The previous execution was much simpler.

Apple finally gave us the option of removing the "hey" in 'hey siri' but makes us add in the 'state' in which we want something? *shaking head* Ridiculous

Reactions: beta3

StumpyBloke

macrumors 603
Apr 21, 2012
England
Yup, Siri is even worse than ever. I ask it to favourite a song and rather than doing that, it now says “ ok here’s some music picked just for you” and starts playing some random playlist.

Even by Apples recent standards, this is pathetic. Sack the management team responsible!

Last edited:
Reactions: kkclstuff

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia

For some fortunate reason, Siri requests are now working back-to-back! However my shortcuts still don't work; even when I try renaming them.
Siri is even misunderstanding some words I say now! What did Apple do?

You should be able to fix up your issue. (I tried it and it works in 17.4)
To wake up whilst facing screen down, go to:
- Settings > Accessibility > scroll down the page...
- Always listen to Siri or hey Siri when your iPhone is facing down 👍

Reactions: Reverend Benny

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia

Stupid question, but did you try rebooting? And if you did, try to turn off Siri, reboot, and turn Siri on again.
Yes I tried rebooting but that did not help. If I turn Siri off and back on, I was concerned Siri would lose all the Siri history and she'd have to relearn all my frequent request again?

kiensoy

macrumors 6502
Feb 6, 2008
I just tried a test on mine (14PM) and said:
"Siri what is one dollar Australian in American?"
She answered audibly with a pop-up [One dollar is 66 cents]
Thanks for checking. Not sure why it hasn’t worked for me lately. I have to ask Siri on my Apple Watch.

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
Yup, Siri is even worse than ever. I ask it to favourite a song and rather than doing that, it now says “ ok here’s some music picked just for you” and starts playing some random playlist.

Even by Apples recent standards, this is pathetic. Sack the management team responsible!
Yes and another new gremlin that has crept in is using Siri with Reminders! :(

Try this example...

Hey Siri, remind me at 6pm, "Go to the shops"

(siri responds)

Then say this: "Thanks Siri"
She replies: "It's deleted" :mad:

If you say 'Thanks Siri' or 'Thank you Siri', she deletes the reminder!! This is crazy. How did all these Siri issues get through the Betas, or did Apple go change things at the last minute? I'm so hoping these issues reported in this thread are fixed in the next update! :oops:

kkclstuff

macrumors 6502
Apr 18, 2015
NYC
another bug...

at 1pm,
I asked "hey Siri, what time is it?"
Siri, "its One Hundred PM"

WTF??!?!? the programming can't even get 1pm right!
but at 1:01 I asked again and Siri replied "its 1: 01PM"

Last edited:

Vlad Soare

macrumors 6502a
Mar 23, 2019
Bucharest, Romania

Try this example...

(siri responds)

If you say 'Thanks Siri' or 'Thank you Siri', she deletes the reminder!! This is crazy. How did all these Siri issues get through the Betas, or did Apple go change things at the last minute? I'm so hoping these issues reported in this thread are fixed in the next update! :oops:

I guess very few people would have this problem, because really, why would you thank a computer? It's just a thing. A thing whose only purpose is to serve you. It's just like your shoes, or your fridge. It has no feelings. It would never cross my mind to say thanks to a robot. I never say thanks to my toothbrush for keeping my teeth clean.
Issue your command, be happy if it understands it and actually does what you want (because most of the times it doesn't), and leave it at that.
If I were the programmer who made Siri, I would never even think of teaching it how to respond to thanks, because it wouldn't cross my mind that people may want to be polite to it. 😂

Last edited:

Steven SANH

macrumors member
Original poster
Mar 27, 2023
Australia
If I were the programmer who made Siri, I would never even think of teaching it how to respond to thanks, because it wouldn't cross my mind that people may want to be polite to it. 😂

I say sometimes "Thanks Siri" because she actually got it right!! :D

cheese1234

macrumors newbie
Apr 18, 2024
I have noticed on my HomePods that they Will selectively listen or ignore entirely. If they do respond usually they don't understand what you say or they play a random song. It has also gotten worse on my iPhone and iPad. It doesn't do back to back requests anymore. Performance wise it has just gone downhill ever since iOS 17 came out. It could be that apple is making Siri worse right now so she seems better when they add generative AI.

Carrotstick

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2024

Try this example...

(siri responds)

I tired this and yeah it’s broken. Apple needs to rewrite Siri in iOS 18.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.