Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

With iOS 17.5, Apple is adding a "Repair State" feature that is designed to allow an iPhone to be sent in for service without deactivating Find My and Activation Lock. The fourth iOS 17.5 beta that came out today adds a "Remove This Device" option for all devices in Find My, and using it with an iPhone puts that iPhone into the new Repair State.

ios-17-5-repair-state.jpg

Right now, sending an iPhone to Apple to be repaired requires turning off Find My, and Apple says that it "might not" be able to repair devices that have Find My activated. Turning off Find My disables Activation Lock, an important anti-theft security feature that prevents an iPhone from being used with another Apple ID.

Apple currently uses Find My and Activation Lock as a way to ensure that a person sending a device in for repair actually owns that device, and that it's not stolen. An iPhone sent in for repair with Find My disabled cannot be tracked, and it is not protected from theft, so if it is lost or stolen at some point in transit during the repair process, there is no recovery method available. Removing Find My also has a hitch with Stolen Device Protection, as there is an hour wait when turning off Find My, which can be inconvenient for repair purposes.

The new repair state leaves Find My turned on, so Activation Lock remains enabled, and the iPhone continues to be trackable with the Find My app while it is being repaired. When enabled, the device in the repair state has a "Ready for Repair" label. "This device remains fully functional in the repair state," reads the text.

ios-17-5-repair-state-icon.jpg

In the list of devices, an iPhone put into a repair state has a small stethoscope icon, and it can be marked as lost. While in repair state, the iPhone is fully functional.

As of right now, using the "Remove This Device" option in Find My to enable a repair state appears to be limited to the iPhone. Using it on other devices like an iPad, Mac, or Apple Watch shows a warning that the feature will remove the device from the Apple ID account, allowing it to be used by someone else. Note that an iPhone must be online and trackable through Find My for the repair state option to pop up. An iPhone that is offline will display the standard removal text. It is also worth noting that repair state cannot be disabled at the current time.

Repair state is a feature that is still in development, so it might work with other devices when iOS 17.5 and its sister updates launch in May.

Article Link: iOS 17.5 Includes 'Repair State' Option That Doesn't Require Turning Off Find My for Service

Last edited:

Homme

macrumors 6502a
Jun 17, 2014
Sydney
If this is also on iPadOS then it makes the iPad 6 that one extra step ahead of the iPhone 7 Plus 😁 But another cool feature the Cheap iPhone XR has that the expensive iPhone X doesn’t and never will get

But in hindsight a good feature. Never understood why find my had to be turned off for any repair though

SanderEvers

macrumors 6502
Jan 27, 2010
Netherlands
Apple becoming more open to repair. Honestly a good thing. Also good they made it so you can keep your phone protected against theft.

IDontCareLol

macrumors newbie
Mar 26, 2023
Hoping this means that they will also stop asking users for passwords so they can test the repair was successful. Users should never have to disclose a password to support personnel.
This should NEVER be a thing. If needed, we always create a test account with the User in the initial appointment. I can’t speak for other stores, but at mine, we want to be as far away from your data as possible.

antiprotest

macrumors 601
Apr 19, 2010
As a former Mac Genius (left 10 years ago), this was a considerable hassle even back then... and I assume is a larger one today. Good stuff.
Would you say that Apple's staff, especially those in retail stores, are much less "genius" than before? Like 5-10 years ago? That has been my experience. I have talked to some in store that sounded like they were hired off the street that same morning, with almost no training and familiarity with the products, services, settings and features. They knew even less than me and kept trying to sell me stuff while describing the products and services quite incompetently.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.