Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
iOS 17.2.
You never know if there might be BMS updates, all from features to bugfixes in later releases. Some comments in this and other forums has mentioned that the capacity has changed after an update, and from what I remember it has moved in both directions. Can't remember if BMS updates has been mentioned in the releasenotes, but a lot of the updates and fixes aren't always mentioned.

Last edited:
Reactions: Helmsley

Paul_W

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Rutland, UK
That’s just a misread though, there’s no way it was at 100% after five years.

When I connected it to my pc and used 3utools to read the actual capacity values it still showed higher than the design capacity. I agree though, probably misreading the actual value

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
When I connected it to my pc and used 3utools to read the actual capacity values it still showed higher than the design capacity. I agree though, probably misreading the actual value
Yeah, it can show more than 100%, but it’s practically impossible for that number to be accurate. Two years in? Difficult, but possible. Five years? Regardless of usage patterns (unless you never used it and it was shut off every minute), it’s impossible with any regular usage.

Paul_W

macrumors regular
Jun 8, 2016
Rutland, UK
Yeah, it can show more than 100%, but it’s practically impossible for that number to be accurate. Two years in? Difficult, but possible. Five years? Regardless of usage patterns (unless you never used it and it was shut off every minute), it’s impossible with any regular usage.

The guy at the Apple store did look confused when I went in for battery replacement and it showed 100%. He asked if I'd had it replaced somewhere else previously. Their diagnostics confirmed it was eligible though and couldn't provide peak voltages

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
IMG_9330.jpeg

17.5 Beta 1, 13 Pro Max

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
What in the world is that?! How did you use it? Can you share apps?
That is something called iOS 17 💀
IMG_9334.jpeg

I’m not posting the rest because they’re like 1-2 min screen on time.
The usage in the screenshot above is higher because I just took it and the previous one was taken few hours ago.
My screen brightness is almost 90% under 50% and I don’t use 5G.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
That is something called iOS 17 💀 View attachment 2368828
I’m not posting the rest because they’re like 1-2 min screen on time.
The usage in the screenshot above is higher because I just took it and the previous one was taken few hours ago.
My screen brightness is almost 90% under 50% and I don’t use 5G.
Apps are moderately heavy, with that use you won’t get amazing screen-on time, but even taking that into account, that battery life is abhorrent. I get more than that (albeit with light use), on my severely-affected 6s on iOS 13. I get almost twice that on my 6s on iOS 10, and, with a kind-of comparable iPhone, I get well over three times that on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12. Yours should be better than my 8-hour-on-50% iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12, and it’s at almost 25%. It’s unacceptable, in my opinion. Wow.

Have you tried a full restore and set-up as new? As bad as iOS 17 is, I think battery life should be better than that.

cigz

macrumors regular
Nov 7, 2016
Apps are moderately heavy, with that use you won’t get amazing screen-on time, but even taking that into account, that battery life is abhorrent. I get more than that (albeit with light use), on my severely-affected 6s on iOS 13. I get almost twice that on my 6s on iOS 10, and, with a kind-of comparable iPhone, I get well over three times that on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12. Yours should be better than my 8-hour-on-50% iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12, and it’s at almost 25%. It’s unacceptable, in my opinion. Wow.

Have you tried a full restore and set-up as new? As bad as iOS 17 is, I think battery life should be better than that.
Personally, wouldn't call those apps moderately heavy and I wouldn't say texting someone on instagram is a heavy usage. I used to get more than 10h SOT on iOS 15 and iOS 16 with the same apps. I have even uninstalled Facebook from my phone because *allegedly* meta apps are power hungry. And well, that didn't help at all. So that's not apps fault, that's apple and iOS 17. I have been posting about battery life on iOS 17 since august I guess?
And the problem with battery life even hit my Apple Watch S8 after apple forced me to update to watchOS10 with iOS 17.4. I charge my watch everyday around 9pm and now I have around 20-30% less than on OS9 (without AOD).
So sorry not sorry to some people, but this is my opinion and I will blame apple with that one. If I ever upgrade my phone (because I'm literally considering moving back to android cause I hate my iPhone now) I won't be updating it to any new major iOS version, just like you did with your iPhone XR.

And yes, I did erase everything and set-up as new TWICE. I didn't restore my backup, I didn't install 90% of the apps I have now (even some "power hungry" like instagram and twitter) and at the end I just lost 2 weeks of my time doing that so I restored my backup.

Reactions: FeliApple

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Personally, wouldn't call those apps moderately heavy and I wouldn't say texting someone on instagram is a heavy usage. I used to get more than 10h SOT on iOS 15 and iOS 16 with the same apps. I have even uninstalled Facebook from my phone because *allegedly* meta apps are power hungry. And well, that didn't help at all. So that's not apps fault, that's apple and iOS 17. I have been posting about battery life on iOS 17 since august I guess?
And the problem with battery life even hit my Apple Watch S8 after apple forced me to update to watchOS10 with iOS 17.4. I charge my watch everyday around 9pm and now I have around 20-30% less than on OS9 (without AOD).
So sorry not sorry to some people, but this is my opinion and I will blame apple with that one. If I ever upgrade my phone (because I'm literally considering moving back to android cause I hate my iPhone now) I won't be updating it to any new major iOS version, just like you did with your iPhone XR.

And yes, I did erase everything and set-up as new TWICE. I didn't restore my backup, I didn't install 90% of the apps I have now (even some "power hungry" like instagram and twitter) and at the end I just lost 2 weeks of my time doing that so I restored my backup.
Meta apps are power hungry, and it’s interesting that that isn’t your experience. I won’t dispute that. 10 hours of SOT on iOS 15 still sounds moderately heavy use, though. The intriguing part (and the sad one, too), is that you’ve “only” updated through two major versions. That looks like it’s... a 60% SOT loss from iOS 15. That’s insane. Newer devices are supposed to have a milder impact than older devices.

My 9.7-inch iPad Pro was forced from iOS 9 into iOS 12, and I went from 14 hours to 10-11. That’s a 25-30% loss (it’s typically more than 10 hours, maybe 10.5). And we are talking about an older device (with an A9X processor) with one more major update (three instead of two). Your SOT loss sounds just absolutely insane. I would be as angry as you, honestly. I lost almost 30% after a forced update, five years ago, and I’m still angry about that.

Sadly, it just sounds like you’ve tried everything there is to try. My recommendation would be to accept it (I know it’s difficult, I’ve been through the same thing), upgrade eventually, and never update it. Not updating has drawbacks that many can’t tolerate. But I insist: try it. See how you like it. See how compatibility works for you. Then decide. It doesn’t work? Go to Android. But if I were you, I’d give that a shot first.

I found this to be an amazing solution. The iPhone Xʀ is now almost six years old. Mine is just as good as the iPhone 15 series in terms of performance and quality of use. Battery life, when I let it drop, is about three full days with light use, and two days with heavier use (16 hours and around 12 hours of SOT, respectively, but if I let all three days run it’s lower due to standby using some battery). Regardless, battery life will be enough on my Xʀ, always. And that’s solely due to it being on iOS 12, today, almost five years after launch.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
First day of use with my 15 Plus on iOS 17.5 beta 2. Been doing a lot of indexing in the background etc since setting it up yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_0067.jpeg
    IMG_0067.jpeg
    169.2 KB · Views: 49
Reactions: Tomas1988

Tomas1988

macrumors regular
Oct 23, 2022
Lithuania
Better battery life, big screen whilst keeping lower weight in hand.

Trade off’s are 60hz & one less camera lens…. Eyes getting used to 60hz & photos are still amazing and now has 2x zoom crop from 48mp lens.
Well, I completely agree. I'm also thinking about the plus model, maybe the 16 series

Reactions: James6s

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
My „Find My“ is constantly running again and I don’t know why. Loosing like 20% while sleeping 😵‍💫
I have noticed the same about "find my" but think I have had that for a long time but never dug into why that it.
I don't get the drain you experience tho.

You never know if there can be other things on your network affecting the battery time on your device, try and disable Wifi one night and see if the battery drainage disappears. The same goes for BT devices that are connected to your device.

I mean it could be pretty much anything but the above two is a good start to troubleshoot.

BigDO

macrumors 65816
Dec 9, 2012
FWIW, my battery life has stabilized (improved somewhat) after installing that 6 build of 17.4.1

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
15 Pro so far today with a mix of WiFi and mobile data. iOS 17.5 beta 2.
View attachment 2370857
IMO it doesn’t look good. As you said it was a mix of mobile data and WiFi but still. On WiFi it should be a way better.

I am still on 17.4 and today it was absolute ********. During Apple Music streaming via Bluetooth my iPhone 15 pro become warm and draining battery like crazy. Even though it was WiFi only. Yes I think it was a bug because I am using Apple Music and Bluetooth headphones everyday and usually it doesn’t behave like this. Anyway it is still unacceptable. Moreover after hard reset I don’t see any overheating but still battery behaves really weird. I was listening to music for 30 minutes and battery started at 23% and ended at 23%. After than in just one or two minutes it went down to 20%. I hate iPhone’s 15 pro battery. It is a disaster no matter what Apple does.

Attachments

• IMG_0331.png
    IMG_0331.png
    366.1 KB · Views: 26
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.