Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

gogikr

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2021
Im on IOS 17.1.1 with my Iphone 15 Pro, and i get 7-8 screen time. I was wondering to update or not. Any suggestions?

Reactions: James6s

Reverend Benny

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2017
Europe
Im on IOS 17.1.1 with my Iphone 15 Pro, and i get 7-8 screen time. I was wondering to update or not. Any suggestions?
From a IT-security perspective, absolutely. There are a fair amount of severe flaws that has been fixed in later releases.
From a feature perspective I would argue and say yes too (Stolen device protection).
From a bug fix perspective, well yes and no, I guess many bugs has been fixed but new ones has been introduced with new features.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK
Battery life on the new 17.5.1 seems solid with no issues. Possibly slightly better than 17.5 on my 15 Pro.

Going onto charger now. Mostly mobile data today.

Attachments

• IMG_8695.jpeg
    IMG_8695.jpeg
    219.2 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_8694.jpeg
    IMG_8694.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 51
Reactions: GoldenChild

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
I don’t know. That’s just my usage, I thought that was mediocre lol. I suppose it depends on what you’re doing with your device and what apps you use, WiFi, mobile data etc.
I think that 7-8h of sot isn’t possible without using iPhone in WiFi range. Anyway with 4g/lte only it should be 4-4,5h of sot. 3h is absolutely a bad result.

Reactions: James6s

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I think that 7-8h of sot isn’t possible without using iPhone in WiFi range. Anyway with 4g/lte only it should be 4-4,5h of sot. 3h is absolutely a bad result.
4.5 hours on an original iOS version with an iPhone 15 Pro? What kind of heavy user are you? I get 12 hours on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 (on cellular). I get 18 hours on Wi-Fi.

Either your usage is very heavy or there’s something wrong.

gogikr

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2021
4.5 hours on an original iOS version with an iPhone 15 Pro? What kind of heavy user are you? I get 12 hours on my iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 (on cellular). I get 18 hours on Wi-Fi.

120hz display, More powerful CPU GPU and RAM. IOS 17 is more heavy than IOS 12.

• Haha
Reactions: Kyriakosss4

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023
Exactly. Nevertheless iOS 17 isnt great in terms of battery. Look what happened after 3 pm. I didn’t touch the phone while it was still draining battery. Disaster. My mini was way better. Anyway I am looking forward to 17.5 (I will install this soft in next few days) because I am still on 17.4.

Attachments

• IMG_0400.jpeg
    IMG_0400.jpeg
    202.7 KB · Views: 33
Last edited:

kristof461

macrumors regular
Oct 4, 2023

Don’t compare iOS 12 to 17. I also said about mobile data. But on WiFi iPhone 15 pro gives you 8-9h max. Sometimes a bit more.

James6s

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2015
Cumbria, UK

Tech has moved on massively since 2018 and the iPhone XR! You can’t really compare the two or iOS 12 with iOS 17 imo. There’s a lot more power hungry features on the newer iPhones. 120hz, much more powerful A series CPU’s, multiple cameras & features with lots of computational magic at play, more than double the RAM.

Unfortunately batteries haven’t really increased much in size to accommodate all of this and to keep the devices slim & light I guess.

Exactly. Nevertheless iOS 17 isnt great in terms of battery. Look what happened after 3 pm. I didn’t touch the phone while it was still draining battery. Disaster. My mini was way better. Anyway I am looking forward to 17.5 (I will install this soft in next few days) because I am still on 17.4.

You should update! 17.5 & now 17.5.1 are much better with battery life vs 17.4 😁

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Don’t compare iOS 12 to 17. I also said about mobile data. But on WiFi iPhone 15 pro gives you 8-9h max. Sometimes a bit more.
Tech has moved on massively since 2018 and the iPhone XR! You can’t really compare the two or iOS 12 with iOS 17 imo. There’s a lot more power hungry features on the newer iPhones. 120hz, much more powerful A series CPU’s, multiple cameras & features with lots of computational magic at play, more than double the RAM.

Unfortunately batteries haven’t really increased much in size to accommodate all of this and to keep the devices slim & light I guess.

While all of this is true, iPhones still managed to improve battery life. My iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 is better than an iPhone 6+ on iOS 8, even though iOS 12 does a lot more and has a lot more features than iOS 8. Also more powerful CPU, GPU, etc, also more features.

If there has been a regression with the 14 and 15 series, then that’s bad, regardless of all that. The iPhone 13 on iOS 15, for instance, is ridiculously good.

I think this is just a plain and simple regression.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15 also does way more with more features and heavier usage than the iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8. It is still a LOT better. It’s ridiculously good.

This is sheer software inefficiency, I think.

Reactions: Kyriakosss4

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
As far as unlocking your iPhone goes, do you guys all have unlock iPhone with FaceID enabled or do you unlock your iPhones with a pass code every time? Selecting to unlock iPhone with faceid requires the inactivity duration to be set to “immediately” and can not be set to after for example, 10 minutes, 30 minutes etc which means that faceid is initiated each and every time the iPhone is unlocked for who knows how many times a day. I wonder how much effect that has on battery life

Ninflu

macrumors regular
Selecting to unlock iPhone with faceid requires the inactivity duration to be set to “immediately” and can not be set to after for example, 10 minutes, 30 minutes etc which means that faceid is initiated each and every time the iPhone is unlocked for who knows how many times a day.
Hm... what really helped me was to turn off "require attention for face id" and "attention aware feature"

• Wow
Reactions: phrekaru

jazzzyJeff

macrumors member
Feb 22, 2024
As far as unlocking your iPhone goes, do you guys all have unlock iPhone with FaceID enabled or do you unlock your iPhones with a pass code every time? Selecting to unlock iPhone with faceid requires the inactivity duration to be set to “immediately” and can not be set to after for example, 10 minutes, 30 minutes etc which means that faceid is initiated each and every time the iPhone is unlocked for who knows how many times a day. I wonder how much effect that has on battery life
It’s only ON when the screen is lit and it’s designed to be always ON so you shouldn’t be noticing any battery drain with it either way.

Benz63amg

macrumors 601
Oct 17, 2010
It’s only ON when the screen is lit and it’s designed to be always ON so you shouldn’t be noticing any battery drain with it either way.
I don’t think you understood what I said. When the iPhone is set to only require a password after let’s say 1 hour, your iPhone doesn’t initiate a FaceID Check triggering the faceid sensor every single time you unlock your iPhone. But if you’re iPhone lock settings are configured to use faceid for iPhone unlock then every single time you unlock your iPhone a Face ID sensor check is initiated and that could be hundreds of times a day. The question is how much battery does that consume daily

Populus

macrumors 601
Aug 24, 2012
Spain, Europe
While all of this is true, iPhones still managed to improve battery life. My iPhone Xʀ on iOS 12 is better than an iPhone 6+ on iOS 8, even though iOS 12 does a lot more and has a lot more features than iOS 8. Also more powerful CPU, GPU, etc, also more features.

If there has been a regression with the 14 and 15 series, then that’s bad, regardless of all that. The iPhone 13 on iOS 15, for instance, is ridiculously good.

I think this is just a plain and simple regression.

The iPhone 13 Pro Max on iOS 15 also does way more with more features and heavier usage than the iPhone 6 Plus on iOS 8. It is still a LOT better. It’s ridiculously good.

This is sheer software inefficiency, I think.
Something tells me that N3E process is/will be much more efficient. So I really expect the iPhone 16 lineup to be better battery-wise.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Something tells me that N3E process is/will be much more efficient. So I really expect the iPhone 16 lineup to be better battery-wise.
Hopefully, but the iPhone 15 lineup was also supposedly efficient. We’ll see.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.