Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Read this:
Full-screen support in landscape on the iPhone in Safari.
11:30 am Web site can even tell the app what the person was doing, so you can pick up where you left off.
11:30 am Tapping banner takes them to the store to download the app. If app is already installed, tapping it switches to app.
11:29 am Smart app banners, if someone goes to your web site, you can notify users of your app in the App Store.
11:29 am "Smart app banners"
11:29 am Photo uploads finally available inside of Safari.
11:29 am Adding offline reading list as well.
11:28 am Adding iCloud tabs.
11:28 am 2/3 of all mobile web traffic comes from Safari on iOS.
11:28 am Safari next.
11:28 am iMessage via Phone number also goes to iPad and Mac.
11:28 am Phone number and Apple ID are unified in iOS 6. If someone calls you with phone number via FaceTime, you can answer on iOS device or on Mac.
11:27 am iOS 6 has FaceTime via Cellular.
11:27 am ...One catch, only works over WiFi.
11:27 am FaceTime next.
11:27 am Slider for repeated calls, second call can come through when turned on if someone calls again inside of 3 minutes.
11:26 am For notifications and things. You can even schedule this. Fine-tune who you get phone calls from, like Favorites or contacts groups.
11:26 am When on, it'll never light up the screen or make a sound.
11:26 am Slider in settings.
11:26 am Do Not Disturb mode.
11:25 am Reminders also have canned functions, like reminding you when you leave.
11:25 am "Reply with a message" has canned messages like "I'm on my way" or can be custom.
11:25 am Phone app now has a button next to slide to answer, you can slide up to reply with a message or add a reminder to call back later.
11:24 am Phone app getting enhanced.

viperGTS

macrumors 68000
Nov 15, 2010
I like the phone app enhancements and FaceTime via Cellular. But facebook integration, eh lol. Nothing major yet though.

Syk

macrumors 65816
Jun 20, 2010
So far the one main thing I care about is the Do Not Disturb feature.
FaceTime over celluar seems like a way to eat that data package up.

Siri got updated but sad to say but some Androidphones had some of the talk to reply to txt features. Still glad Siri has the updates that it has. I missed if it would also be on iPhone4&iPad2

Not really sure how I feel about this update. I'll need to read up. I don't think I've been wowed really.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
Time for maps.
11:41 am turn-by-turn navigation.
11:40 am Anonymous real-time crowd sourcing of this data via iOS users.
11:40 am Can bring up incident reports to see if traffic is likely to speed up.
11:40 am Traffic service also included.
11:40 am business cards integrated with yelp for all sorts of details and photos.
11:40 am Local search also included in maps, 100m business listings around the world currently available.
11:39 am Showing a few different maps.
11:39 am All cartography done by Apple.
11:39 am Entire new mapping solution built from the ground up.
11:39 am Maps!
:cool::D

neiltc13

macrumors 68040
May 27, 2006
The phone text reply thing is copied from Android 4.

Cloud syncing of tabs has been around for a long time, Safari is just catching up.

Facebook integration has been in every mobile OS except iOS for months/years.

Turn by Turn navigation is free on Android and Nokia Windows Phones already.

Siri's local business listings is a copy of Local Scout for Windows Phone 7.

So yeah, it seems like this year WWDC has been all about Cupertino's photocopier.

macbook pro i5

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 13, 2011
New Zealand
"Flyover"
11:42 am Kids can even ask, "Are we there yet?"
11:42 am You can ask Siri where you can get gas, and it'll look for gas stations.
11:41 am Also works with Siri.
11:41 am 3D buildings visibile?
11:41 am All of this works from the lock screen as well.
11:41 am Monitors traffic on the way, potentially even re-routing around it.
11:41 am Really simple, just tap quick route and you're on the way.

----------

Passbook kind of confuses me. So we can store movie tickets and gift cards... on our phone? If so, that is pretty awesome!

thats what it is.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
Well they have just lied to the world.

"All cartography done by Apple"

That is pure BS. Apple have not been out and surveyed the topography themselves. They would have bought the information from Ordnance Survey or USGS. Would be interesting to find out who they did buy it from though. I hope they didn't rip off Google, especially with the built in errors.

ThisIsNotMe

Suspended
Aug 11, 2008
Well they have just lied to the world.

"All cartography done by Apple"

That is pure BS. Apple have not been out and surveyed the topography themselves. They would have bought the information from Ordnance Survey or USGS. Would be interesting to find out who they did buy it from though. I hope they didn't rip off Google, especially with the built in errors.

You don't understand what they bought from C3 technologies.

G4DP

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2007
You don't understand what they bought from C3 technologies.

Are you a cartographer?

You think C3 commissioned a full topographic survey of the earth? Just like Google, Microsoft, they would have bought the source information from of the worlds leading national mapping companies.

saberz

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2012
iOS6 is a welcome update, glad they are also supporting the 3GS with this release. I still have the 4, but will be jumping to the new phone come this fall or whenever its released. The new Maps app looks fantastic as well.

iParis

macrumors 68040
Jul 29, 2008
New Mexico
It's a whole lot more than I expected, some big new features along with a ton of littles ones. We all knew about the maps update, but we didn't expect it to be like this! There are so many people that are going to benefit from iOS 6, and it'll be even better on the iPhone 5. I hate the people complaining about Facebook integration; it's like gay marriage or an abortion, don't like FB integration, don't turn it on or have a Facebook.

CJM

macrumors 68000
May 7, 2005
U.K.
Intrigued sure.. Half of this stuff working outside the States? Doubt it. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.