Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Punkwaffle

macrumors regular
Original poster
Apr 12, 2004
With iOS 8 now announced, I began wondering what new features could they introduce that would really have the most impact on the most people? Sure, the new look is nice, and extensions are going to be great, but what features appeal to the lowest common denominator of iOS users?

By lowest common denominator I envision someone like my mom- a 68 yr old woman who purchased an iPhone because everyone else had one. She has no idea how to copy and paste on it, never downloaded an app that I didn't put on there for her. She's not about to start learning text shortcuts or add contacts and rules to her do not disturb settings. I'm sure their are countless others just like her out there. So again, I wonder to myself- WHAT FEATURES CAN APPLE PUT IN IOS 9 THAT SOMEONE LIKE HER WOULD ACTUALLY USE?

So far, I have 2:

1. Guest Pass. Say you're out and someone desperately needs to borrow your phone. Their's is lost or out of power or it's an emergency or whatever. Do you want to have to put in your password or Touch ID? Do you want them poking around your photos or pranking you and posting something to your Facebook or Twitter account? So how bout this: a passcode that you can freely share that unlocks your phone, but only gives them basic functionality. Make a call, access only certain preset contacts, browse the web without access to your history, passwords, cache, and many other functions that won't impact your smartphone world. 

2.My Mac. Using your iPhone or iPad as a secure key (touch ID, Bluetooth, wifi, or NFC), go up to any modern mac and it automatically becomes yours. Complete with access to all your files, programs, settings, wallpapers, etc. as if you logged into your own machine. The data can be managed via iCloud, but the majority of the UX would already be built into the latest Mac OS. It would be a very seamless experience for all but the most hardcore mac user out there that wants to access his 4k super HD 3D video clip (well, at least until Pied Piper becomes reality).

So what other simple, but absolutely useful features are you waiting for? Please share and hope someone at Cupertino gets paid to read this thread.

mKTank

macrumors 68000
Jul 2, 2010
Seriously though this thread is a little bit ridiculous. If you're unhappy with iOS 8, well that sucks man...but pretty much nobody here is ready to even think about iOS 9.

jmantn

macrumors 6502a
Mar 13, 2012
Tn
So far, I have 2:

1. Guest Pass. Say you're out and someone desperately needs to borrow your phone. Their's is lost or out of power or it's an emergency or whatever. Do you want to have to put in your password or Touch ID? Do you want them poking around your photos or pranking you and posting something to your Facebook or Twitter account? So how bout this: a passcode that you can freely share that unlocks your phone, but only gives them basic functionality. Make a call, access only certain preset contacts, browse the web without access to your history, passwords, cache, and many other functions that won't impact your smartphone world. 

2.My Mac. Using your iPhone or iPad as a secure key (touch ID, Bluetooth, wifi, or NFC), go up to any modern mac and it automatically becomes yours. Complete with access to all your files, programs, settings, wallpapers, etc. as if you logged into your own machine. The data can be managed via iCloud, but the majority of the UX would already be built into the latest Mac OS. It would be a very seamless experience for all but the most hardcore mac user out there that wants to access his 4k super HD 3D video clip (well, at least until Pied Piper becomes reality).

So what other simple, but absolutely useful features are you waiting for? Please share and hope someone at Cupertino gets paid to read this thread.

Guided Access directly addresses your first question and was even improved upon in iOS 8. I have it set up to be activated by a triple click of the home button. Pretty easy to remember since there's only one main button that deals with interfacing with what's on the screen.

As far as the back to your Mac, assuming your aware of Splashtop and tea viewer as well as Screens and many others I'd expect that to be coming next year as that was a rumored feature for this year that didn't make the cut however the direction Apple is clearly heading is interopability between devices and I would bet that's something we will see soon

There's literally a ton of features announced for this fall that my 67 yr old mother who's first cell phone was an iPhone and only ever really used a computer five years ago and has since embraced the iPad will love and use daily

Health Kit, changes in Photos and icloud storage, SMS on iPad (iPhone in a diff room and someone calls or sends SMS and get notification on iPad), location aware apps on lock screen (like grocery shopping), home kit (may or may not fall into what your looking for but for some of the less tech savvy having Siri handle things is huge, go buy Hue bulbs and plug in and ask her to turn on or off for ex), the camera changes such as burst mode, Family Sharing, changes in App Store are huge (older people tend to get a little lost there), auto dimming iBooks, easier to plow through emails, peer to peer connectivity with apple tv'so, ability to change keyboards to Swipe or something similar, I could go on...

Sorry to write so much but I literally was just explaining to my aunt the changes that are coming this fall and was just explaining how health kit may be perfect for her as she has a hard time keeping track of some things.

Being both a consumer and having programming knowledge I just want to end this by saying the changes made to the SDK this year are going to be enormous because of what will be possible and the only downside is the amount of time it'll take for programmers and companies to embrace and perfect their apps

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
[MOD NOTE]
Lets wait until the ink dries on iOS8, i.e., its not even out yet, which means an iOS9 speculation thread is premature at best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.