Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Has anyone else seen this? It started saying I must change it within 60 minutes and pops up every time I unlock the phone now.

Attachments

• image.png
    image.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 2,445

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Might be a glitch in iOS 9 beta.
If the "Later" choice simply returns whenever you unlock, then you do the "continue" and update your passcode. You could stay with exactly the same passcode, if you like. That updating process may clear out the request for changing your passcode.

AppleFan91

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Sep 11, 2012
Indy, US
Might be a glitch in iOS 9 beta.
If the "Later" choice simply returns whenever you unlock, then you do the "continue" and update your passcode. You could stay with exactly the same passcode, if you like. That updating process may clear out the request for changing your passcode.

Yeah I let it run down all the way to see what would happen. It just would only let me change my PIN or make an emergency call. I just "changed" the pin to the same pin. I wonder if that will be in iOS 9 or if it's just a Beta thing

April Knight

Suspended
Jul 24, 2011
Olympia, WA
This is present in earlier versions of iOS. Do you have a work email account or a profile installed on your iPhone? Some work accounts and profiles mandate infrequent passcode changes.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
In the final release of iOS 9, all devices with Touch ID will require a 6-digit passcode to increase the number of possible combinations and, therefore, security.

http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/0...passcodes-on-newer-iphones-ipads-under-ios-9/

I had to set up a 6-digit passcode when I got my replacement phone recently. I guess it's already live in the betas?
Yes, iOS 9 gives you the choice to change to a 6 character (it is not limited to numbers only) passcode, but does not require the change from 4 to 6.
Seems like a good thing, but so far, you can choose 6 numbers, 6 alpha characters, or stay with 4.
I don't know if the final version will require the switch. Might be some situations that demand it, such as Apple Pay, requiring a 6 character passcode as sole backup for TouchID. Not required so far. I guess we will find out when iOS 9 is in final release.

Reactions: HopefulHumanist

Sierra Juliet

macrumors newbie
May 20, 2017
Has anyone else seen this? It started saying I must change it within 60 minutes and pops up every time I unlock the phone now.

First prompt: “Passcode Requirement: You must change your iPhone unlock passcode within 60 minutes.” Second prompt: “Passcode Requirement: You must change your iPhone unlock passcode at this time.

It is emanating from cell tower. It is likely a MDM (Mobile Device Management - an enterprise solution) trying to manage phones from cell towers. The first type of prompt ("60 minutes" timer) has the options "Later" or "Continue". After powering off (without clicking first prompt) and powering on phone a second prompt ("at this time") with only one option appears "Continue". Neither message allows navigating away from the prompt without clicking an option (i.e. Later or Continue).

When this happens do the following: power off phone, remove SIM card, power on phone, clear browsing history, power off phone, reinsert SIM card, and then power on phone.

This is required when it prevents navigating away from the prompt message. All the aforementioned explanations in articles and technical support forums did not hold true because after removing the SIM card and still having WiFi connection this activity should have persisted but did not. Remember surveillance programs wanting backdoors to bypass passcodes? What better way then to ask the owner to give the passcode up since most people do not change these often or at all. Now the cell towers can support remote MDM of phone with ubiquity.

Note: according to other articles and technical forums Verizon assumes Apple servers are pushing it and Apple has no idea about this, one plus one equals two. Logically there is no legitimate purpose for an application of any kind (except for MDM to control phone and eavesdrop) to require the unlock passcode.

It may be assumed by changing passcode with prompt the following can occur: anyone who enters a new passcode and then performs a device backup can have that backup imaged to another device and accessed via the passcode, remote management (access) of device via MDM, and or push code into phone via trojan.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.