Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

3:16

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
So I got a new iPhone 6S Plus (basically it’s a launch day device never opened) it’s running iOS 9.0 out of the box. Should i update to later iOS 12 or remain on the original version.

Last edited:

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Stay. There's no reason at all to update. The phone will have excellent battery life and performance will be top-notch.

Reactions: 3:16

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
Depends on if you are actually going to use it for your daily device, but (IMHO)
Go (update). There's no reason at all not to update, and from a security standpoint, you should update. If the iPhone has been unopened (purchased launch day, September 2015), then the battery has not been charged for more than 3 years. Will that affect the long-term use of that battery? That's unknown --- but also unlikely that updating to current iOS 12 will make much difference to the life of the battery, such as it is.

(I don't think the 6S Plus is directly affected by the shutdown issue that deeply affected the 6S within iOS 11, but I could be wrong on that :cool: )

redheeler

macrumors G3
Oct 17, 2014
Colorado, USA
An unopened launch day device on iOS 9.0 might be of some value to collectors. But if you've already opened it, might as well update to 12.

The early builds of 9 had some issues with stuttery animations even on the 6s Plus if I recall correctly, and 9.0 will be too old to run many current versions of apps.

Reactions: 3:16 and DeltaMac

Freakonomics101

macrumors 68030
Nov 6, 2014
Big lack of app support. Will eventually become more of an issue. Also... security risks. You’ll be happy with iOS 12. My iPhone SE is a champ... feels like I just bought it.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
Big lack of app support. Will eventually become more of an issue. Also... security risks. You’ll be happy with iOS 12. My iPhone SE is a champ... feels like I just bought it.
Yeah the app support issue is the worst. I tolerate it - I'm on iOS 9 on a 6s and an iPad Pro 9.7 - but there are some occasions in which I really wish Apple wouldn't hamper devices with updates.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I think the thing that I still somewhat miss from iOS 9 days is the design, like that of notifications vs. the "bubble" appearance they have these days. In the other hand I don't miss the signal dots that were taking up too much space unnecessarily. Granted this is mostly rather inconsequential visual type of things.

FeliApple

macrumors 68040
Apr 8, 2015
I think the thing that I still somewhat miss from iOS 9 days is the design, like that of notifications vs. the "bubble" appearance they have these days. In the other hand I don't miss the signal dots that were taking up too much space unnecessarily. Granted this is mostly rather inconsequential visual type of things.
Yeah the notifications on iOS 10+ are really awful - that said, it is indeed a matter of personal preference - and the return to bars is what iOS was before the nonsensical change on iOS 7, so it kind of makes sense, too.
Though, if it were up to me, I'd downgrade my 6s on iOS 9 to iOS 6 without hesitation.
Luckily, I can still use a device on iOS 6 - an iPod Touch 5G on iOS 6.0 - that works perfectly.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
(purchased launch day, September 2015), then the battery has not been charged for more than 3 years. Will that affect the long-term use of that battery?
I’m not sure about the battery, it’s not charged since September 2015. Still not opened the box. Do you think battery would be degraded since not charged for 3+ years.
[doublepost=1544317751][/doublepost]
An unopened launch day device on iOS 9.0 might be of some value to collectors.
No. It’s not opened it’s still in it’s original packaging from factory. Do you think it has some special value?

I bought two of them in September 2015. One for my family member one for myself. But they didn’t like the size and never accepted it. So it was sitting in my drawer form past three years.

My 6S Plus battery life is severely degraded on iOS 12 and it doesn’t even last half day. Since I’m a heavy user I need to charge it by afternoon. So I’m thinking why not open the new one and replace it with old one.
[doublepost=1544318190][/doublepost]
Yeah the app support issue is the worst. I tolerate it - I'm on iOS 9 on a 6s and an iPad Pro 9.7 - but there are some occasions in which I really wish Apple wouldn't hamper devices with updates.
App support is a non issue for me. I don’t use alot of apps. There’ small number of apps that I use-
- WhatsApp
- Pedometer++
- YouTube
- Gmail
- PUBG
- MiFit
- Snapseed
And I think all these still supports iOS 9.

DeltaMac

macrumors G5
Jul 30, 2003
Delaware
If you are now thinking to use the battery from the (unused/new) 6S plus, why not just leave it as is, and transfer your old phone to the "new" iPhone? (unless the "new" 6S plus is a lower storage size ? ? ) Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense (to me) to open up a perfectly good "new" phone to fix an older phone. Maybe I'm missing something here...

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
I’m not sure about the battery, it’s not charged since September 2015. Still not opened the box. Do you think battery would be degraded since not charged for 3+ years.
[doublepost=1544317751][/doublepost]
No. It’s not opened it’s still in it’s original packaging from factory. Do you think it has some special value?

I bought two of them in September 2015. One for my family member one for myself. But they didn’t like the size and never accepted it. So it was sitting in my drawer form past three years.

My 6S Plus battery life is severely degraded on iOS 12 and it doesn’t even last half day. Since I’m a heavy user I need to charge it by afternoon. So I’m thinking why not open the new one and replace it with old one.
[doublepost=1544318190][/doublepost]
App support is a non issue for me. I don’t use alot of apps. There’ small number of apps that I use-
- WhatsApp
- Pedometer++
- YouTube
- Gmail
- PUBG
- MiFit
- Snapseed
And I think all these still supports iOS 9.
You might look into getting a cheaper battery replacement before the end of the year.

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 18, 2018
If you are now thinking to use the battery from the (unused/new) 6S plus, why not just leave it as is, and transfer your old phone to the "new" iPhone? (unless the "new" 6S plus is a lower storage size ? ? ) Otherwise, it doesn't make much sense (to me) to open up a perfectly good "new" phone to fix an older phone. Maybe I'm missing something here...
Good point. I just leave new one as it is. Might take advantage of cheaper battery replacement on my old iPhone 6S Plus as @C DM Mentioned above.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.