Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

YanniDepp

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Dec 10, 2008
About 20 minutes ago, Apple stopped signing 14.8 on all devices.

If you upgrade to 15 now, you’re stuck with it.

• Sad
Reactions: Aerisdies

walt7788

macrumors member
May 7, 2012
What about upgrading devices from earlier versions of iOS 14? I just got an iPhone 8 with iOS 14.3 today, but I’m not allowed to upgrade it to 14.8?

now i see it

macrumors G4
Jan 2, 2002
Nope. Only upgrade path right now is iOS 15.
ApleInc did say that they were going to support iOS 14 concurrently with iOS 15 this year, so it’s conceivable some time in the future that there will be a security update for 14.8 which you’ll be able to use if you stay on 14.3.

Each year after the new iPhone drops, there’s a one week window or so to choose the OS you want to stay on for a while. Either the stable and mature current version or the bug ridden new version. Same story every year.

My advice is stay on iOS 14.3 until a security patch is pushed out or wait until at least iOS 15.2 becomes available several months from now to install that.

Reactions: KayEm6419

Paddle1

macrumors 601
May 1, 2013
What about upgrading devices from earlier versions of iOS 14? I just got an iPhone 8 with iOS 14.3 today, but I’m not allowed to upgrade it to 14.8?
iOS 14.5 - 14.7.1 are the versions that are still able to update to 14.8 OTA. Perhaps they will sign a new version of 14 at some point but we don't currently know.

Reactions: N69AP

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Well I updated to WatchOS8 after updating to 15.0 so I don't think I could of gone back to 14.8 anyhow. The watch said I couldn't update unless my phone was on 15.0

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
Is it possible to update from iOS/iPadOS 13 to 14 with a previously downloaded iTunes update (14.7.1)?

Unfortunately both my iPad Pro 9.7” and iPhone SE (original) are currently on iOS 13. I had intended to update to 14 a while back, but life happened! Now the only OTA update available is 15. However I did download the iTunes update for 14.7.1 on my Mac, but I‘m not sure whether this makes any difference or not?

I was under the impression that both 14 and 15 would be available concurrently until next year... but I guess I misunderstood and that is way too generous of Apple to allow!

Thanks!

Reactions: ElectronGuru

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 604
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona/Illinois
Is it possible to update from iOS/iPadOS 13 to 14 with a previously downloaded iTunes update (14.7.1)?

Unfortunately both my iPad Pro 9.7” and iPhone SE (original) are currently on iOS 13. I had intended to update to 14 a while back, but life happened! Now the only OTA update available is 15. However I did download the iTunes update for 14.7.1 on my Mac, but I‘m not sure whether this makes any difference or not?

I was under the impression that both 14 and 15 would be available concurrently until next year... but I guess I misunderstood and that is way too generous of Apple to allow!

Thanks!
Apple isn't signing any iOS14 versions so no you can't use your download.. It's possible that may change in the future but they would most likely offer 14.8 as the only choice..

w5jck

Suspended
Nov 9, 2013
Apple has said they will support older iOS and iPadOS devices which are too old to update to 15 with the recently released 12.x. That likely means Apple will periodically release security updates only. Don't expect any new features on an older version of iOS and iPadOS.

Supposedly Apple will provide security updates for iOS and iPadOS 14.x, but again, don't expect any new features.

It is in Apple's best interest to keep older versions updated with current security updates. Otherwise they could wind up with a mess. However, Apple is hardcore when it comes to trying their best to FORCE us to update to the latest version. They don't want to have to update and maintain older versions, that is expensive, so the quicker they force the latest version on us, the sooner they can obsolete the older versions and stop providing security updates.

NewUsername

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2019
I wonder if they’ll keep updating iOS 12. For macOS they only support the last three versions, so I suppose they won’t, but who knows?

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
What do you think the likelihood is of a security update for iOS 14 anytime soon?
Do you think there will be one this year, early next year, late next year, sometime in the never never?

Reactions: Jack Neill

elementalwingma

macrumors regular
Nov 23, 2014
I really thought they would just continue to sign at least one version of iOS 14 so I'm honestly surprised. Guess if you have any issues and you need to restore, you are forced to go to 15.

Heat_Fan89

macrumors 68030
Feb 23, 2016
What do you think the likelihood is of a security update for iOS 14 anytime soon?
Do you think there will be one this year, early next year, late next year, sometime in the never never?
That’s up to Apple but the OG iPad Air is still getting security updates and that’s an 8 yr old tablet.

klasma

macrumors 603
Jun 8, 2017
I forgot about an iPad Pro I had and it was still on 14.7.1. I just ran SU and it did offer me 14.8 and 15. So there's that I guess.
As noted in post #5 above, it works (only) for versions 14.5 to 14.7.1.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010

Thanks!

You can still OTA update to 14.8. Google "Delayed OTA update". (You will need a Mac and Apple Configurator 2)

Reactions: collin_ and klasma

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
You can still OTA update to 14.8. Google "Delayed OTA update". (You will need a Mac and Apple Configurator 2)
Thanks. Unfortunately my Mac is running High Sierra so the App Store won’t let me download Apple Configurator 2.

I found a website that lists the different profiles & download links (for delayed ota updates) but I’m unsure about the safety of them. I downloaded one on the Mac and had a peek with text edit app but I don’t really know what to look for.

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks. Unfortunately my Mac is running High Sierra so the App Store won’t let me download Apple Configurator 2.

I found a website that lists the different profiles & download links (for delayed ota updates) but I’m unsure about the safety of them. I downloaded one on the Mac and had a peek with text edit app but I don’t really know what to look for.
The profiles basically just specifies 1 thing - how much time to defer software update. But that particular item requires supervised mode so you will need Apple Configurator.

If you can get access to a Big Sur machine, download AC2 from that machine with your Apple ID. When you go back to your High Sierra machine, you will see AC2 listed in your downloads and App Store will download the latest version that is compatible with High Sierra.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
The profiles basically just specifies 1 thing - how much time to defer software update. But that particular item requires supervised mode so you will need Apple Configurator.

If you can get access to a Big Sur machine, download AC2 from that machine with your Apple ID. When you go back to your High Sierra machine, you will see AC2 listed in your downloads and App Store will download the latest version that is compatible with High Sierra.
Thanks. I have accessed Apple configurator but to put the iPad into supervise mode it requires me to erase the ipad. I thought I could create and install the profile without wiping the iPad clean? I can create a profile without supervised mode but this does not appear to do anything. If it requires wiping the iPad then I give in.

P.S. To make things worse, after installing the delay profile I noticed iPadOS 15 started downloading in the settings app despite automatic updates being switched off. I immediately force shutdown but every time I plug the iPad in it starts downloading again. I never pressed to download, I didn’t enter my passcode and I have confirmed automatic updates is still switched off. Looks like my iPad is getting a forced introduction to 15!

Last edited:

Daytona 360

macrumors regular
Apr 29, 2010
Thanks. I have accessed Apple configurator but to put the iPad into supervise mode it requires me to erase the ipad. I thought I could create and install the profile without wiping the iPad clean? I can create a profile without supervised mode but this does not appear to do anything. If it requires wiping the iPad then I give in.

P.S. To make things worse, after installing the delay profile I noticed iPadOS 15 started downloading in the settings app despite automatic updates being switched off. I immediately force shutdown but every time I plug the iPad in it starts downloading again. I never pressed to download, I didn’t enter my passcode and I have confirmed automatic updates is still switched off. Looks like my iPad is getting a forced introduction to 15!
To get into Supervised mode yes you need to erase the device.

Also I didn't specify clearly - the delayed OTA will let you upgrade to 14.8 from anything below it, but if you are on iOS 15 you cannot downgrade via OTA method.

bmac89

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2014
To get into Supervised mode yes you need to erase the device.

Also I didn't specify clearly - the delayed OTA will let you upgrade to 14.8 from anything below it, but if you are on iOS 15 you cannot downgrade via OTA method.

Thanks. Yes I’m still on iPadOS 13.4 (and iOS 13) and want to go to 14.8, although if the device is wiped I don’t understand how it would know whether I am going up to 14 or down to 14 but perhaps Apple flags it on the server end or it updates the firmware, as they certainly like to prevent downgrading.

If I had a spare/relatively empty device I would give it a go, but it will be a fiddle to restore from backup and no guarantee that the OTA to 14 will work. Also my devices are almost full so the restore process will be quite long and I have already experienced an incomplete restore in the past with loss of data (despite a full iTunes backup) so I am very reluctant to go down this route.

Last edited:

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
Just for kicks and giggles I went from 14.7… to 14.8 OTA no problem. I on an iPhone 12 PM. So moving up seems to be no problem for anyone under 14.8 - until they stop signing 14.8 completely. I think I did this on this past Thursday BTW.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
Just for kicks and giggles I went from 14.7… to 14.8 OTA no problem. I on an iPhone 12 PM. So moving up seems to be no problem for anyone under 14.8 - until they stop signing 14.8 completely. I think I did this on this past Thursday BTW.

I just saw a friend of mine have no choice but to go up to 15.0.2 on her recently purchased iPhone (can't say for sure if she went iPhone 12 or 13 in either regular, mini, or Pro lines). However, she did have iOS 14.7.1 on her phone without any option to go to 14.8. This was all OTA as well.

BL.

Fat_Guy

macrumors 65816
Feb 10, 2021
I just saw a friend of mine have no choice but to go up to 15.0.2 on her recently purchased iPhone (can't say for sure if she went iPhone 12 or 13 in either regular, mini, or Pro lines). However, she did have iOS 14.7.1 on her phone without any option to go to 14.8. This was all OTA as well.

BL.
I did have the option for 14.8 on the update page if that helps. And just to be sure I just checked the “about” page and I’m on 14.8.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.