Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
My Office computer is running Mountain Lion 10.8.5. We need to keep that OS as we have a proprietary piece of software that will only run on ML. I am considering getting a new iPhone which will obviously have iOS9 on it. I am syncing my Calendar & reminders, and notes through iCloud.

Am I going to have issues with iOS9 & ML syncing?

thanks

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
10.8.5 is now the minimum version of OSX required for iTunes. I have an old machine that I keep on Mountain Lion and while I don't sync any devices with it, browsing and file transfers work fine through iTunes. The only thing that does not work is Apple Music, which may or may not be important to you.

JackP

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 3, 2009
10.8.5 is now the minimum version of OSX required for iTunes. I have an old machine that I keep on Mountain Lion and while I don't sync any devices with it, browsing and file transfers work fine through iTunes. The only thing that does not work is Apple Music, which may or may not be important to you.

Thanks for your reply. Good to know about iTunes, but my main concern is the data syncing with the built in apps and ML. Anyone else know?

techguy9

macrumors 6502
Aug 16, 2014
Thanks for your reply. Good to know about iTunes, but my main concern is the data syncing with the built in apps and ML. Anyone else know?
If you have upgraded to iCloud Drive, then apps that use iCloud to sync with iPhones will fail because they still use the old system.

Eau Rouge

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2013
Right. This is especially true for Notes. As long as you don't update when prompted in iOS 9.x, they'll sync with a ML install, no problem. You'll miss out on some new functionality, however. Reminders and calendars sync without issue.

frankieflowers

macrumors newbie
Apr 19, 2013
If you have upgraded to iCloud Drive, then apps that use iCloud to sync with iPhones will fail because they still use the old system.
Hello. I have a Mac Pro running Lion 10.8.5 and an iPhone 6 running ios 10.3.1 where I'm still using iCloud. I didn't upgrade to iCloud Drive because I would have to pay... Notes aren't syncing between devices. Please help me.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.