Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Trek2100

macrumors 6502a
Oct 20, 2009
Sevierville, TN
Wow, didn't think of this! I will buy both the case and the standard iPad dock, and I will choose for the bluetooth keyboard. You're right. I don't want to be locked to the portrait mode.

And oh, no need of buying a Dock to USB cable. Quote from Apple's website;

So that should be fine. So the accessoires I will buy:

- The case
- Standard iPad Dock
- Bluetooth Apple Keyboard

EDIT: I can't seem to find the Bluetooth Keyboard at the Apple site anymore. Anyone got a url (keyboard which IS compatibly with the iPad)?

It has always been in the same place under Mice and Keyboards. It says Apple Wireless Keyboard. In the description it indicates MAC or iPad.

http://store.apple.com/us/product/MC184LL/A?fnode=MTY1NDA1Mg&mco=MTMzNzg5MDM

For me personally the dock is of no use if you have the case, but thats just me.

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
But I am having one thing I am having a hard time imaging... navigation. So you are typing away at an email using the BT keyboard and boom, I want to send it. What do I do? Reach up and tap send? Press tab a few times to highlight Send? Hot key? This all seems so strange without a cursor to navigate. Same goes with web browsing. Say I am typing a comment on MacRumors with the BT keyboard. Do I need to manually press Submit Reply, then undock the iPad so I can comfortably browse the site then redock to type another comment with the keyboard? This seems like a strange process.

I'm sitting on my laptop right now, but I've imagined the screen as a touchscreen and I can easily imagine scrolling through these forums, and pressing buttons using the screen. I suppose it might be a bit disjointed to take your hands off the keyboard, but you need to do that with a mouse anyway.

(It's also possible they might incorporate keyboard shortcuts, like Cmd+Shift+D to send an email)

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
These were some of the reasons why I went for the Keyboard Dock and the rest relate to iPad specific buttons. I already own the Apple bluetooth keyboard but, since this is attached to my Mac Pro, I figured that I would not want to constantly be reconnecting the keyboard between devices.
You have to push on the iPad anyway. Controls are exactly the same (except for top row) on the bluetooth keyboard and it won't connect, disconnect, connect, disconnect for every time you want to type something.

CristobalHuet

macrumors 65816
Jan 18, 2008
Montreal
So the consensus is:

-iPad case
-iPad dock
-Wireless keyboard

Possible scenarios:

(1) Case for when you want to type in landscape/portrait (no keyboard)
(2) Case + Keyboard for when you want to type in landscape
(3) Dock + Keyboard for when you want to type in portrait and/or charge iPad
(4) Dock for charging iPad
(5) Case + Keyboard for when you want to type in portrait

Missing anything?

I still dunno about the combo above The keyboard dock looks like an attractive option for when you're at a desk (or in class), and the case looks good for everything else pretty much, but you can't dock and type in landscape... :confused: :(

That would be a dream, maybe in iPad 2.0 we'll get landscape docking as well? :D

EssentialParado

macrumors 65816
Feb 17, 2005
What I'm wondering is if the 'esc' key on bluetooth keyboards will substitute for the home button. That's quite clever if so.

uberamd

macrumors 68030
May 26, 2009
Minnesota
I'm sitting on my laptop right now, but I've imagined the screen as a touchscreen and I can easily imagine scrolling through these forums, and pressing buttons using the screen. I suppose it might be a bit disjointed to take your hands off the keyboard, but you need to do that with a mouse anyway.

(It's also possible they might incorporate keyboard shortcuts, like Cmd+Shift+D to send an email)

I guess I see it more like typing infront of a netbook screen, then reaching to do multitouch gestures (zoom, etc). It just seems like it will be very awkward to reach forward with your hand an manipulate the device. Also if you look at the dock there isn't much support provided from it.

iPad-Dock-29.jpg

It doesn't go very high up the back of the device, and pressing on the very top of the iPad seems like it would easily create screen wobble, or heck even place strain on the dock connector plug. I see using the dock for a long winded email or forum comment, and definitely using it as a 'picture frame' of sorts; but short of that I don't see it being used long term for this style of device especially with a keyboard.

If I have the keyboard, chances are I am at home which means I can use my desktop or one of my laptops to accomplish the same task as the iPad.

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
I guess I see it more like typing infront of a netbook screen, then reaching to do multitouch gestures (zoom, etc). It just seems like it will be very awkward to reach forward with your hand an manipulate the device. Also if you look at the dock there isn't much support provided from it.

iPad-Dock-29.jpg

It doesn't go very high up the back of the device, and pressing on the very top of the iPad seems like it would easily create screen wobble, or heck even place strain on the dock connector plug. I see using the dock for a long winded email or forum comment, and definitely using it as a 'picture frame' of sorts; but short of that I don't see it being used long term for this style of device especially with a keyboard.

If I have the keyboard, chances are I am at home which means I can use my desktop or one of my laptops to accomplish the same task as the iPad.

But wouldn't it be much more fun to do those tasks on an iPad? :p

PsyD4Me

macrumors 6502a
Mar 11, 2009
under your bed
the connected makes it seems like one of those old school palm pilot keyboard dock setups, wireless for sure, although i plan on using neither. the screen is plenty for fast and accurate typing

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Sep 12, 2009
the connected makes it seems like one of those old school palm pilot keyboard dock setups, wireless for sure, although i plan on using neither. the screen is plenty for fast and accurate typing
Yes, it might be but if you want to type documents or so than I think it becomes annoying after a while to look down all the time.

wolfpackfan

macrumors 68000
Jun 10, 2007
Cary, NC
I have the BT keyboard already, so won't need the combination. I have been planning to get the dock to use with my keyboard, but the more I think about it and look at it, I'll probably just get the case and use it to elevate the iPad enough to see as I use the keyboard. I am concerned also that if you use the dock a lot and keep pressing the screen, etc. it will eventually cause the dock connector to get messed up. I had that happen previously to a Dell Axim Pocket PC I had. It finally got so it wouldn't sync or charge.

wyneken

macrumors regular
Feb 26, 2010
The great State of Maine
I suspect I'll end up with both, but I decided -- sort of impulsively, in the hurried process of pre-ordering last week -- to start with the keyboard dock, mostly because I'm interested in these (unspecified?) keys that trigger specific iPad functions.

As with many other aspects of this new device, I don't expect to know how I'll actually end up using it until I own one. I'm looking forward to this early period of trial and discovery a lot -- it's one of the pleasures (and frustrations) of being an early adopter.

ScrewTheDaisies

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2009
I ordered the BT keyboard, and I'm planning on using this $1.99 item for a stand, instead of the dock:

41v0g14uOAL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

I needed something smaller than the dock to fit in my bag, and I like that it's angle-adjustable. (It's unclear from the photos how angle-adjustable the Apple case is when in portrait mode, so I was hesitant to drop the money on it.)

I think I'm going to put a little grip tape around the bottom rear bar of the stand to help keep it from slipping when you press on the iPad.

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
Apple Bluetooth Keyboard or iPad Dock/Keyboard

I originally purchased the keyboard/dock combo but then realized that if I wanted to just bring the dock somewhere, it would be a hassle because the keyboard would be attached. So I changed my order to the bluetooth keyboard and the dock separate. The problem I'm seeing is that the bluetooth keyboard is just the normal Apple keyboard. But the keyboard/dock combo is a specially made keyboard with extra buttons for the iPad. There are buttons to take you to search/home, music controls, brightness controls, volume, etc on the keyboard/dock combo. But those buttons are missing on the bluetooth keyboard.

Now I'm not sure which keyboard/dock combo that I want.

Any suggestions?

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
Cancel keyboard and dock, wait until the reviews are in and we know whether or not the buttons on the bluetooth keyboard can act as special iPad function buttons, then decide which one to buy.

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Cancel keyboard and dock, wait until the reviews are in and we know whether or not the buttons on the bluetooth keyboard can act as special iPad function buttons, then decide which one to buy.
After comparing my wireless KB with the picture of the KB+Dock, I am quite confident that the 14 special keys in the top row will work the same on both keyboards. Only the labels on the keys will be a bit funky on the separate keyboard.

If this weren't true, then Apple would not sell the separate KB as an iPad accessory.

anthonymoody

macrumors 68040
Aug 8, 2002
I faced the same dilemma. I went with the dock and BT keyboard.

I called Apple on pre-order day and was told that "they didn't know" whether or not the BT keyboard keys would be able to be re-mapped to mimic the special function keys on the keyboard dock. I was happy for their honesty to tell you the truth.

At the end of the day, I feel like it'll only be a matter of time before the keys can be re-mapped.

Most importantly, I prefer the portability/choice of keeping keyboard and dock separate. AND I prefer the positioning flexibility afforded by separate devices. Can't move things around with the keyboard dock. The relationship b/t screen and keyboard is fixed. Not so with separate devices...

Tallgrass

macrumors member
Mar 25, 2010
BT Keyboard Sinc

I like the BT keyboard. Can you sinc the wireless keyboard to the iPad right out of the box? or does it require some kind of setup. I have a HP laptop without bluetooth.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
bt keyboard

I think many people are moving in the BT keyboard direction, judging by how much prices have gone up on ebay for second hand BT keyboards. From about 35$ now more than 40-45$ just in the past week.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.