Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Dave.Rowland

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jun 27, 2013
Liverpool, UK
I have recent purchased a iPad Air currently running iOS 7.0.6.

I have a DLNA compatible tv and have noticed that if I am watching YouTube it can be transferred to my tv and thought it would be good if I could do this with the movies I have downloaded from iTunes but this doesn't appear to be the case

Jhingha

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2011
DLNA streaming is nice, but Apple TV is even nicer.

Apple does not like to work with 'regular' standards.

seble

macrumors 6502a
Sep 6, 2010
There are a couple of apps on the mac for that, but they work pretty poorly, not sure about the iPad.

JoEw

macrumors 68000
Nov 29, 2009
I have never had much luck with DLNA protocol. I can see why apple would not use it.

----------

thought it would be good if I could do this with the movies I have downloaded from iTunes but this doesn't appear to be the case

If you downloaded them from iTunes they are DRM ridden anyway so even if Apple supported DLNA, you would not be able to stream over protocol. However an :apple:TV can do exactly what you need go ahead and grab an Apple Refurb Basically in like new condition and you got exactly what you need.

Curun

macrumors 6502
Sep 10, 2013
DLNA streaming is nice, but Apple TV is even nicer.

Apple does not like to work with 'regular' standards.
Apple does not work with regular standards like 802.12, Bluetooth, GSM, IMAP, PDF, USB, DVI, VESA, VGA, HDMI, etc...?

Just because a few specific standards don't fall inline with what they want, does not mean anything.

If you just drop all media into iTunes. It works from AppleTV just like a DLNA server. And already set up. The TopGear bbc episodes I have to download, drop right in and stream over to the tv.

Works far better than any PS3MediaPlayer like software I've wrestled with in the past,

HuntingPudel

macrumors member
Feb 23, 2014
California
There are a couple of apps on the mac for that, but they work pretty poorly, not sure about the iPad.

I've used a couple of DLNA server apps on my macs, serving to the XB360 and PS/3. They work OK for stuff that I have RIPped, but for the stuff that I purchased through iTunes it does not work because of DRM.

kulpik

macrumors newbie
Jun 5, 2016
Miami, USA
there is a good streaming app that will be of great use for you. it is MCPlayer. With it you can stream videos of any format and what is important, it also works for the files downloaded from iTunes. It automatically converts the file into MKV which is supported with almost all devices. Try it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.