Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
The first post of this thread is a WikiPost and can be edited by anyone with the appropiate permissions. Your edits will be public.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
IMG_5494.jpeg

My home office.

IMG_4213.jpeg

Vacation cottage office.

Live is better with an iPad as your main computer!

blairh

macrumors 603
Dec 11, 2007
I have both at home and I use my 13” with Magic Keyboard more or less only in my lap. The macs try to slide off my lap while the iPad stays put so my iPad is comfortable to use in a lot more situations.

That’s the reason I sold my own MBP, it was way more annoying to use when not on a table.
I have never had a laptop 'try to slide off my lap'.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
Are you opening few apps at the same time while using the Stage Manager, having them side by side (as this guys shows here) to work with them at the same time?
I tried to replicate what he did on the MBP with the external monitor with the Stage Manager, but it didn't work, so 1+ for an iPad. 😊
The clip you refer to is showing iPadOS 16. In 17 the windows are in a much more free to set and use kind of way.
Tbh as of 17 I can’t really tell the diffance between my MacBook and my iPad. Except for the 4 window per stage limitation (I don’t really mind at all).

I can easily work with four windows in one stage. Just like I before with my MacBook, but most of the time 2 windows is all I use.

ofarlig

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2015
Sweden
I have never had a laptop 'try to slide off my lap'.
The problem with the macs for me is one of friction, there’s not enough for it to not slide around on pants with their smooth metal. If I am sitting on the couch I have to have my legs in the exact right angle on the floor to have it stay put, if I stretch them out too much it slides away fro mme off my legs or if I plant my feet on the ground it slides towards me so it gets too close to use.

Much fewer situations where it becomes cumbersome to use my 13” iPad Pro in the keyboard.

Ludatyk

macrumors 603
May 27, 2012
Texas
View attachment 2380749

My home office.

View attachment 2380750
Vacation cottage office.

Live is better with an iPad as your main computer!
Well, the iPad is my primary computing device… but not the only.

I do have a M1 Pro MBP that is tied to the desk attached to a large monitor and I use it for tasks that require a more heavy handed approach. But for the most part, I like using the iPad, the versatility is what’s appealing.

This is my portable setup when away from the desk (inspired by Nexpad)… recently scooped up a Belkin thunderbolt dock, having those extra ports is clutch.

IMG_7011.jpeg

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
The clip you refer to is showing iPadOS 16. In 17 the windows are in a much more free to set and use kind of way.
Tbh as of 17 I can’t really tell the diffance between my MacBook and my iPad. Except for the 4 window per stage limitation (I don’t really mind at all).
I was searching for a review that might show how the stage manager could be useful on a MacBook, and found that clip on iPad. It is pretty useless on a Mac. That clip shows how it can be useful on a iPad, maybe with 2 windows open.

There's also a "rumour" that MacBook might get a touch screen.
Or, buy an external touchscreen for a MacBook or a Mac Mini.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I was searching for a review that might show how the stage manager could be useful on a MacBook, and found that clip on iPad. It is pretty useless on a Mac. That clip shows how it can be useful on a iPad, maybe with 2 windows open.

There's also a "rumour" that MacBook might get a touch screen.
Or, buy an external touchscreen for a MacBook or a Mac Mini.
SM is excellent on an iPad, it transformed the experience for me. I haven’t found a use for it on the Mac but seen lots of pay rave about it

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
SM is excellent on an iPad, it transformed the experience for me. I haven’t found a use for it on the Mac but seen lots of pay rave about it
Useless on a Mac.
Have been watching YT clips on touchscreen monitors for Mac, so maybe the next buy would be a Mac Mini. 😊
And, here's a Giant iPad.

Last edited:

Webcat86

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2022
I legitimately wrote a small novels worth of fiction on my 11” iPad Air and MBK a couple years ago and never felt hampered by it. Excellent writing device with the right (write?) app.
Which app do you use? I bought Ulysses but uninstalled it again

stiligFox

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2009
Which app do you use? I bought Ulysses but uninstalled it again
I particularly like iA Writer! (Not to be confused with anything AI.) it’s a full markdown editor that’s very feature rich while also just being a program that’s focused solely on writing and not a ton of extra features like a full featured word processor like Word or Pages. It’s a bit pricey but I use it and love it on macOS and iPadOS.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I have respect for all of you that truly make the iPad your primary computing device. I've loved the idea for years, have tried for years and failed for years. lol Most recent attempt was this week: 13" M4 with MKB and pencil. My general uses are handwritten/typed notes in Notability, Safari web browsing, Reddit, reading, music creation (GarageBand), gaming (COD Series and COC) and simple documents/spreadsheets in Pages and Numbers.

The iPad 13" does all of these tasks, but in the keyboard, I dislike how it sits and feels in my lap. When holding it, it feels almost too expansive. Not to mention, the price just seems unnecessarily high to me. Prior to this experiment, I bought a used 1TB M2 11" iPad Pro and 1TB 15" M2 MBA for less. I figured the 13" would replace both devices and a Mac Mini would sit at home for heavy lifting. No such luck for me. The 11" feels too small when performing certain tasks to make it my main, but the MBA covers that ground.

I find the Surface Pro more desirable even though that stand digs into my legs when lapping it. Also, not the biggest fan of Windows. I would like to see Apple implement a Smart Keyboard Folio with a trackpad. Then I think I'd be OK with the lap feel of the 13. Fold it back when not in use, bring it forward when needed.

Reactions: SteveJUAE

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
I have respect for all of you that truly make the iPad your primary computing device. I've loved the idea for years, have tried for years and failed for years. lol Most recent attempt was this week: 13" M4 with MKB and pencil. My general uses are handwritten/typed notes in Notability, Safari web browsing, Reddit, reading, music creation (GarageBand), gaming (COD Series and COC) and simple documents/spreadsheets in Pages and Numbers.

The iPad 13" does all of these tasks, but in the keyboard, I dislike how it sits and feels in my lap. When holding it, it feels almost too expansive. Not to mention, the price just seems unnecessarily high to me. Prior to this experiment, I bought a used 1TB M2 11" iPad Pro and 1TB 15" M2 MBA for less. I figured the 13" would replace both devices and a Mac Mini would sit at home for heavy lifting. No such luck for me. The 11" feels too small when performing certain tasks to make it my main, but the MBA covers that ground.

I find the Surface Pro more desirable even though that stand digs into my legs when lapping it. Also, not the biggest fan of Windows. I would like to see Apple implement a Smart Keyboard Folio with a trackpad. Then I think I'd be OK with the lap feel of the 13. Fold it back when not in use, bring it forward when needed.
Taken a look at the Brydge MAX + keyboard? I use the 11” myself. Not only is it a lot cheaper, but the thing you describe about the MKB on your lap was the first and for most reason for me to go with the Brydge. In all honesty, when news came Apple was doing a redesign on the MKB I was hoping for a more MacBook style version. Don’t get me wrong. I do see the changes as a serious upgrade, but the floating effect that determines the feel when not using it on a flat surface still makes me recent it. I’m not upgrading to the M4 yet, but I’d seriously be disappointed by the fact I’d have to leave the Brydge behind when I do.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
Taken a look at the Brydge MAX + keyboard? I use the 11” myself. Not only is it a lot cheaper, but the thing you describe about the MKB on your lap was the first and for most reason for me to go with the Brydge. In all honesty, when news came Apple was doing a redesign on the MKB I was hoping for a more MacBook style version. Don’t get me wrong. I do see the changes as a serious upgrade, but the floating effect that determines the feel when not using it on a flat surface still makes me recent it. I’m not upgrading to the M4 yet, but I’d seriously be disappointed by the fact I’d have to leave the Brydge behind when I do.
I'm not sure I'd trust Brydge to be around long. The same management team that drove the company into bankruptcy is now running the new company that bought the assets of the failed company.

Ultracyclist

macrumors 6502
Oct 13, 2014
Zwijndrecht, Netherlands
I'm not sure I'd trust Brydge to be around long. The same management team that drove the company into bankruptcy is now running the new company that bought the assets of the failed company.
I know, but I bought mine when it launched. I was pointing to the keyboard style. The product is premium, the brand itself… not so much.

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
Taken a look at the Brydge MAX + keyboard?

IMG_0984.jpeg

This ~8$ a lookalike, but this very real Bluetooth keyboard is featherweight. It uses 2 AAA batteries, those batteries are quite cheap too. Interesting to have the Trackpad above the lookalike Bluetooth keyboard.

It is more than 5 years old. You might notice the iOS button.

Last edited:

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
I know, but I bought mine when it launched. I was pointing to the keyboard style. The product is premium, the brand itself… not so much.
Maybe they will have learned from the past and not repeat the same mistakes. I hope so as competition is always good.

MisterMillz

macrumors 6502a
Mar 12, 2011
FL, USA
I'm familiar with Brydge's lineup but I've never bought one of their keyboards because it only offers clamshell functionality. I like multi-purpose cases and covers like the Smart Keyboard Folio, Logitech Combo and Surface Pro Keyboard. They all come off easily enough, but can also simply be folded back when feeling lazy. I was hoping Apple was going to offer an M1 Air like keyboard–2 pieces. Keyboard comes off. Backplate stays attached.

Personal opinion: SKF, solid and thin enough, stable enough in lap and folds back. Only two knocks for me are backlighting and no trackpad. LCK, 2-piece, keyboard comes off easy enough, but I don't like the full case on the device. Perhaps if it were even thinner I wouldn't mind. SPK, comes off easy, folds back well enough. Trackpad is on the small side and the back plate of the Surface is thin enough to dig into my legs a little.

teh_hunterer

macrumors 65816
Jul 1, 2021
I can't find a specific thread where I read about this, has it been explained why the new iPAD is still not a 4K device? And this is never changed?

- 1668 x 2420 pixels, 3:2 ratio (~264 ppi density)

If it were, I guess the new specs would be:

-- 3240 x 2160 pixels, 3:2 ratio (~302 ppi density)

On a screen that size you're not missing anything. Using the 4k options on YouTube etc is still worth it because the 4k options give you a higher bitrate, and that you can definitely see.

Beefbowl

macrumors regular
Mar 28, 2021
No, I don’t think you are the only one. And you and I know that.
My iPad replaced my MacBook as of iPadOS 16 beta 2. The week of WWDC I bought my M1 iPP and sold my Air4.
Being honest some of the times, especially in the early days’, I had some minor issues With iPadOS, but hey, after all it still was beta and with the release of iPadOS 17 beta 1 all was smooth sailing form there.

I still hope Rapid weaver comes to the iPad because this and Altstore are the only apps I still need my MacBook for. I don’t see myself ever buying a new MacBook As long as I can get by using my old MacBook for the Altstore function of Sideloading.

I even introduced the iPad in the workplace and put all my co-workers on one.

My office space. Me and my co-workers all have the “same” setup. They have the Air 5 with a 25” ultrasharp monitor and the apple keyboard and trackpad combo. For the out of office time they have a MKB knockoff That works on BT, but gets the job done.
Nice! I don’t see a lot of iPad desk setups.

The Finder-looking icon on the dock threw me. Is that a system app or something else?

bondr006

macrumors 68020
Jun 8, 2010
Cary, NC - My Name is Rob Bond

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    710.1 KB · Views: 30
  • iPad Desktop Setup 8-25-2023.jpg
    iPad Desktop Setup 8-25-2023.jpg
    390.5 KB · Views: 26

chmania

Suspended
Dec 2, 2023
I also use the Finder icon for the Files app. It is done with the shortcuts app.

How to change icons on the iPad with Shortcuts

Screenshot 2024-05-25 at 11.43.27.jpg

This is not an icon, but a screenshot. The screenshot has sharp corners. Of course, the screenshot can be used as an icon, but would look strange on Launchpad with its sharp square look.
The next one in the video, the black one downloaded straight from the website is an icon.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.