Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

How did you feel about the iPad Pro ad?

• I enjoyed it.

Votes: 76 35.3%
  • Don’t have any strong feelings about it.

Votes: 67 31.2%
  • I hated it; poor choice of concept.

Votes: 72 33.5%

• Total voters

hektor6tygr

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 9, 2014
Apple is getting a fair share of criticism in Japan, with several sites reporting on how their new ad for the iPad pro is off putting to creators:

What are you guys’ thoughts? I guess this might be cultural because I could only find news from japanese sites and most people replying at Tim’s X are Japanese.

Tim’s post:

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Sorry! I thought the english replies on Tim’s twitter(X) would be enough.
A good amount of Japanese creators are saying that the ad doesn’t seem like Apple, and that crushing instruments you use to make art does not convey the right message.
Right.

Well it's like everything isnt it. There will always be people who will jump in and criticise things where the original intent was symbolic and not literal.
Sadly people like to virtue signal when they can do it loudly and publicly to 'make themselves look good'.

What nonsense. The ad is a paradigm for 'compressing all these things into a super thin ipad' - very clear and obvious.

Im amazed that people have enough free time to put finger to keyboard to criticise an ad.

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
I am not from Japan and not even Asian, but I do agree it was an ugly ad, even if all the stuff they put in it is fake and was created in Blender or smth.

In the age of so-cal sustainability (that they themselves promote thru selling their stuff with recycled aluminum) they promote… destruction. Kinda dumb and questionable with regards to their so-cal “values”

shadowboi

macrumors regular
Feb 16, 2024
Unknown
The ad is a paradigm for 'compressing all these things into a super thin ipad'
Pretty stale idea. They been playing on it long time ago. Apple needs to fire their marketing team because they will soon be having the same cringe ad campaigns as Google.

Btw, just look at their namings!
- dynamic island
- ipad air that is not even “air”
- tandem oled
- iphone pro max plus pro slim
- obsession with “pro”

They better listen to Michael Jordan:
1715160635050.jpeg

Velin

macrumors 68020
Jul 23, 2008
Hearst Castle
Ridiculous. Ad is fine. Ad makes perfect sense. Ad will sell iPads. Just look at these forums -- tens of thousands of posters who will complain about anything, or are offended by everything.

If humans could say only those things that no one found "off putting," communication on this planet would immediately cease.

nj-morris

macrumors 68000
Nov 30, 2014
UK
It was a weird ad, I kinda get the point but I don't know what feelings it was meant to invoke.

Although Apple doesn't really have the best track record with those "thinner and lighter" intro videos. The original iPad Air one where they pulled one out from behind a pencil was alright, but then when they unveiled the Air 2 a year later they just did the exact same thing but did a whole thing of shaving part of the pencil off with a laser. You know, as people do.

And let's not forget the whole Manila envelope video.

arc of the universe

macrumors regular
Jan 11, 2023
the ad, as it stands, is poorly conveying apple's intention.

the ad was supposed to represent that all of the various tools/machines/devices/design methods which all put together are bulky, can all be better represented in a single device: the thinnest device apple has ever made, the new iPad Pro.

however, as many (all?) creators know, just because tools are old or large doesn't mean they have no value.
traditional methods have lived for centuries, living along side ultra modern methods of creation.
no matter how thin and evolutionary the new iPad Pro is, it doesn't give any cause to destroy traditional methods of creatvity.

Last edited:

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
Wouldn‘t have been half as painful to watch if everything destroyed was at the end if it’s useful life.

Why do people think that this was even real?

CGI is indistinguishable nowadays and is there even a pressing plate that large anyway?

Although I gave it no thought at the time, my guess was either EndOfLife products that might have been cleaned up to look newer, or the who lot was just CGI anyway.
The way the press worked, the puff of smoke at the end were all quite unrealistic anyway its not how that would have gone down in person.

Some people are so quick to look for, and take offence their critical thinking abandons them.

Lounge vibes 05

macrumors 68040
May 30, 2016
Pretty stale idea. They been playing on it long time ago. Apple needs to fire their marketing team because they will soon be having the same cringe ad campaigns as Google.

Btw, just look at their namings!
- dynamic island
- ipad air that is not even “air”
- tandem oled
- iphone pro max plus pro slim
- obsession with “pro”

They better listen to Michael Jordan:
View attachment 2375786
“- tandem OLED” is not an apple term, that is literally what the industry calls the technology used in the iPads new display.

stevemiller

macrumors 68010
Oct 27, 2008
Why do people think that this was even real?

CGI is indistinguishable nowadays and is there even a pressing plate that large anyway?

Although I gave it no thought at the time, my guess was either EndOfLife products that might have been cleaned up to look newer, or the who lot was just CGI anyway.
The way the press worked, the puff of smoke at the end were all quite unrealistic anyway its not how that would have gone down in person.

Some people are so quick to look for, and take offence their critical thinking abandons them.
First off I’d wager it’s not cgi. The weird giant finger operating the iPad in their commercials is cgi. The hydraulic press sequence is a composted shot but it’s almost certainly using practical elements. More likely they are art department created props and not fully functional versions of those things.

But all of that is besides the point anyway.

cgi or not, the implication of showing traditional creative tools getting destroyed in favour of the iPad IS an understandable visual to critique.

I don’t think anyone is missing the message they were going for - a variation on the phone/ipod/internet communicator beat from the original iPhone reveal. And the hydraulic press emphasizes the idea of how all of these tools are “compressed” into such a compact package. That all makes perfect sense.

But nuance in how an idea is expressed matters. the gratuitous shots of these items being destroyed, however they were achieved, do communicate a certain disrespect to the tools and disciplines you’d think they’d want to be showing in a more reverential light, given the audience they’re targeting. And as mentioned, it also feels weird for a company that touts sustainability to visualize it this way. Lastly, just from a super literal read, I kinda laughed when I saw it because I was like “oh, so apple’s saying the iPad contains a bunch of broken stuff?”

I’m not here fuming and saying to boycott anything. But to those here dismissing people for critiquing an ad… that’s a weird take imo. Media literacy and criticism is a valid and I’d argue important thing for people to do.

“It’s just an ad bro” is hand waving away how much culture is influenced by the imagery we are bombarded with. I mean as someone in the creative industry, thinking about this stuff IS part of my job, and that’s who this ad is supposedly speaking to.

stocklen

macrumors 6502a
Sep 25, 2013
First off I’d wager it’s not cgi. The weird giant finger operating the iPad in their commercials is cgi. The hydraulic press sequence is a composted shot but it’s almost certainly using practical elements. More likely they are art department created props and not fully functional versions of those things.

But all of that is besides the point anyway.

cgi or not, the implication of showing traditional creative tools getting destroyed in favour of the iPad IS an understandable visual to critique.

I don’t think anyone is missing the message they were going for - a variation on the phone/ipod/internet communicator beat from the original iPhone reveal. And the hydraulic press emphasizes the idea of how all of these tools are “compressed” into such a compact package. That all makes perfect sense.

But nuance in how an idea is expressed matters. the gratuitous shots of these items being destroyed, however they were achieved, do communicate a certain disrespect to the tools and disciplines you’d think they’d want to be showing in a more reverential light, given the audience they’re targeting. And as mentioned, it also feels weird for a company that touts sustainability to visualize it this way. Lastly, just from a super literal read, I kinda laughed when I saw it because I was like “oh, so apple’s saying the iPad contains a bunch of broken stuff?”

I’m not here fuming and saying to boycott anything. But to those here dismissing people for critiquing an ad… that’s a weird take imo. Media literacy and criticism is a valid and I’d argue important thing for people to do.

“It’s just an ad bro” is hand waving away how much culture is influenced by the imagery we are bombarded with. I mean as someone in the creative industry, thinking about this stuff IS part of my job, and that’s who this ad is supposedly speaking to.
what an odd thing to get upset over.

its abundantly clear why the 'crush' martaphor has been used here because they want to showcase the thinness of the new design.

Its not like they are flattening puppies or anything.....

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.