Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's latest iPad Pro is the thinnest device the company has ever made... but does it bend? That's likely to be the question on the mind of anyone who remembers the last iPad Pro "bendgate" controversy.

m4-ipad-pro-purple.jpg

In 2018, Apple responded to durability concerns shared by new iPad Pro owners by admitting to shipping its then-new models with a "very slight bend in the aluminum chassis," which it blamed on a "side effect of the manufacturing process."

Despite videos indicating that the 2018 iPad Pro models bent more easily than other models, Apple said the bend did not worsen over time or negatively affect the iPad's performance, and that concerns over the device's durability were unfounded.

Nevertheless, some iPad owners were understandably upset to find defects in devices that cost hundreds of dollars. Apple naturally wants to avoid a similar scenario with its latest 2024 models.

To allay concerns, in an interview with Arun Maini, Apple's senior VP of hardware engineering John Ternus reveals that Apple has added a new protective "cowling" over the main logic board. This metal cover not only helps with heat dissipation, but also "effectively creates a central rib that runs through the whole thing and tremendously improves the stiffness of the products," according to Ternus.

No doubt the new iPad Pro models will be subjected to exaggerated pressure tests by some YouTubers, and we are bound to see more than a few bent out of shape in the process. Whether Apple's strengthend iPad Pro chassis will be enough to withstand the pressures of real-world everyday use over time is altogether another matter.

If early reviews are anything to go by, a handful of outlets have noted that the devices do feel particularly durable despite their impressive thinness. Do you have lingering doubts? Let us know in the comments. Pricing on the M4 ‌iPad Pro‌ begins at $999, and it can be purchased from Apple's website.

Article Link: iPad Pro: How Apple Intends to Avoid Another 'Bendgate' Controversy

truthsteve

macrumors 6502a
Nov 3, 2023
I was told my iPhone 4 couldn't make calls, my 2016 MacBook Pro keyboard would stop working, and my iPhone 6 Plus + 2018 iPad Pro would bend over time.

none of that happened and many YouTubers became famous. too many complaints that turned out to affect a very small minority.

next time some Apple complaint blows up, I'd say just ignore it.

NightFox

macrumors 68040
May 10, 2005
Shropshire, UK
Never mind the 'official' bendgate affecting the 2018 Pro from new, I've seen many iPad's visibly bent just from carrying them around in a backpack. Sure, some people will say that this isn't looking after them properly, but I think it's reasonable to have some expectation of resilience to normal and predictable daily usage scenarios.

sracer

macrumors G4
Apr 9, 2010
where hip is spoken
It is easy and appropriate to bash attention-seeking tech Youtubers who will sacrifice iPads for views. But their existence shouldn't dismiss and discount the issues that come along with thin devices under normal usage.

Extra precautions are necessary and it isn't because of any manufacturing deficiency on Apple's part... it's just the nature of super-thin devices.

Where in the backpack? That matters. It’s why purpose-made bags have compartments specifically for devices.
Those specialty backpacks often have padding but rarely have stiffeners for those compartments.

nottorp

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2014
Romania
Where in the backpack? That matters. It’s why purpose-made bags have compartments specifically for devices.

Of course, they could give up on the thinness and let you carry it in a backpack without worrying about the exact position and padding.

Make devices that you can "just use" instead of devices that have to be kept in a clean room and packed in armor that quadruples their size? What's the point of thinnes if you can only use the device in a protective case?

From my personal experience:

1. I bought an Air first gen. I put it in a drawer under the passenger seat in my car over some other (flexible) crap. Took it out slightly bent in places. I had the nerve to take the tablet in the car unarmored!

2. I was the unfortunate owner of an emoji keyboard macbook pro. Keyboard started being wonky in 2 months. I had the nerve to use it outdoors on my balcony where there's dust!

I'm not using them wrong, Apple has the wrong fetish.

John_Blackthorne

macrumors member
May 4, 2024
Chiraq
Never mind the 'official' bendgate affecting the 2018 Pro from new, I've seen many iPad's visibly bent just from carrying them around in a backpack. Sure, some people will say that this isn't looking after them properly, but I think it's reasonable to have some expectation of resilience to normal and predictable daily usage scenarios.
My 2018 bent because I used it one handed to read. Held it in my left hand by the left lower quadrant. A month or so later, I noticed the bend about three inches above where I was holding it.

(insert "you're holding it wrong" joke here)

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
All I have to offer is an opinion is this: owner of iphone 3g, and gen2 ipad....they were both sturdy devices, felt EXCELLENT in the hand to use, and nobody reported bending issues. Nobody complained that they were overly thick.

Think about this for a moment...

JSDK

macrumors member
Jan 1, 2024
Sure, but iPads are meant to be carried, put in bags, backpacks, etc. Should be able to lug it and not have it bend.
Agreed. If you put the iPad in a cover and put it in a strategically good place in your bag, where it won't be pressed by anything else, then you should be good to go. The problem is that people don't care until they find that their iPad is bent. You can avoid a lot of annoyance by being a little proactive and use an extra 10 seconds when packing your bag.

TheNewLou

macrumors regular
May 24, 2016
Buying the iPad Pro is like buying the F-150 Raptor, and other top-tier packages for vehicles.

It shows you have more money than brains (except for the 1% of people who use their advanced features), and you're more concerned about your status than any real functionality.

Very profitable, though. The shareholders thank you.

zapmymac

macrumors 6502a
Aug 24, 2016
SoCal ☀️
If your 2018+ ipad is/seems bent: I regularly put an oversized book on top of it to flatten it back...it works and is a real-world solution....

...should I have to do this? I have no comment, but it works...

Reactions: ConvertedToMac
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.