Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Eric-H

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
but with ipadOS 16 it works fine ? Yes - Software/Firmware issue No - Hareward/Firmware issue. The IpadOS Need a newer Firmware for 120HZ Panel i think. HDR is working.
But yes, 8 time released and no fix is heavy.

Reactions: Kissmo1980

matthew_sorensen

macrumors newbie
Aug 29, 2023
but with ipadOS 16 it works fine ? Yes - Software/Firmware issue No - Hareward/Firmware issue. The IpadOS Need a newer Firmware for 120HZ Panel i think. HDR is working.
But yes, 8 time released and no fix is heavy.
Yes, on iPadOS 16 my iPad works fine. My concern is that I think it’s possible that this bug in iPadOS 17 that causes the screen to flicker may actually be an indicator that some of us may have defective iPads. In other words, this may not be a bug per say, but Apple could have updated the display drivers, or some other component in the OS, and maybe this change is actually exposing a hardware defect. It just, I’ve been beta testing since 2013, and I’ve never had a bug this debilitating last all the way through the entire beta process, and not be addressed. Also, what happens when Apple releases the GM next week, and the flickering still persists? Will apple officially announce a recall? I hope they at least acknowledge the issue.

Eric-H

macrumors newbie
Aug 8, 2023
Pls wait for RC and then clean install IPSW. Then we will see. Maybe they fix this with further Updates.
but yes, I also don’t see before so an massive Beta Bug continuing So long time, for Hardware issues.

rjkelly1894

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2023
For those having this issue, I can confirm for me, it is definitely a software bug in all iOS 17 betas. Originally I thought it was just the screen, Apple Store in Charlotte, NC inspected display and noticed the same same flickering issue, they said this was not a beta software problem but that it was a hardware issue. So they sent the iPad off to some test facility and shipped me a new one. I have only had the iPad Pro 12.9 M2 since May, so I figured it was software issues but Apple had restored the iPad and said this was not the case. Well fast forward, I received my replacement iPad Friday, 9/8/23. Running iOS 16, noticed no issues. I updated it to the beta last night to get my data back from iCloud, and today, like 5 times the screen has been flickering. I just restore the device again to iOS 16, in the same environment it was flickering and the flickering is gone.

This is 100% software issue on my end. This unit is brand new from Apple and having the same issue the other was while on iOS 17. If the video uploads you can see the flickering.

Hopefully by the time the RC is out, this will be fixed.

CPmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
For those having this issue, I can confirm for me, it is definitely a software bug in all iOS 17 betas. Originally I thought it was just the screen, Apple Store in Charlotte, NC inspected display and noticed the same same flickering issue, they said this was not a beta software problem but that it was a hardware issue. So they sent the iPad off to some test facility and shipped me a new one. I have only had the iPad Pro 12.9 M2 since May, so I figured it was software issues but Apple had restored the iPad and said this was not the case. Well fast forward, I received my replacement iPad Friday, 9/8/23. Running iOS 16, noticed no issues. I updated it to the beta last night to get my data back from iCloud, and today, like 5 times the screen has been flickering. I just restore the device again to iOS 16, in the same environment it was flickering and the flickering is gone.

This is 100% software issue on my end. This unit is brand new from Apple and having the same issue the other was while on iOS 17. If the video uploads you can see the flickering.

Hopefully by the time the RC is out, this will be fixed.
View attachment 2258633
Great info, thanks for the update!!

Reactions: rjkelly1894

philliez98

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Southeastern PA
I just downloaded it to my 12.9 iPad Pro M2 6th generation. First few things I did were adjust screen brightness and check a few apps for flickering. I turned dark mode on and off and then checked this forum for any updates for this very reason. As far as I can see, I am seeing NO MORE FLICKERING! I dont want to jinx it, but I am not seeing it anymore!

Now that I am not seeing it, I cannot recall where I was specificsally seeing it before but I think it was just something noticeable enough that I didn’t have to go looking for it. If anyone wants me to test anything out for flickering, please let me know and I can try it to confirm.

But so far, so good!

Reactions: kevm and Evomasta

kevm

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2008
Canada
I just downloaded it to my 12.9 iPad Pro M2 6th generation. First few things I did were adjust screen brightness and check a few apps for flickering. I turned dark mode on and off and then checked this forum for any updates for this very reason. As far as I can see, I am seeing NO MORE FLICKERING! I dont want to jinx it, but I am not seeing it anymore!

Now that I am not seeing it, I cannot recall where I was specificsally seeing it before but I think it was just something noticeable enough that I didn’t have to go looking for it. If anyone wants me to test anything out for flickering, please let me know and I can try it to confirm.

But so far, so good!
Thanks! That’s enough for me, installed it and on flickering yet.

Kissmo1980

macrumors 6502
Feb 16, 2021

But so far, so good!
Confirmed - no more flicker for me either.
Ipad Pro M2

Waiting until tomorrow. I had this issue reappearing the next day.
And also try to put to sleep and then wake up. It usually happens then.

CPmav

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 11, 2013
Lexington, KY
No flickering for me either, but as the post above mine says, this isn’t the first time we’ve all gotten excited lol

370zulu

macrumors 6502
Nov 4, 2014
iPad Pro 12.9 M2 6th gen here. Had the same flickering prior and went back to 16. I just installed public beta again and no noticeable flickering now.

Paul Cordingley

macrumors member
Jan 10, 2019
Sydney, Australia
I tentatively agree that it's fixed. 😬 I am so used to the flickering now that I think my brain now "misses" it and provides feedforward stimulus when it's not actually there anymore LOL. Will take a few days to get used to it again.

Reactions: philliez98
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.