Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yebubbleman

macrumors 603
May 20, 2010
Los Angeles, CA
Plug the iPad into a computer. If it's a Mac, Finder will open and allow you to do a restore on it. If it's a PC, you'll need iTunes for Windows. If you need to get the iPad into DFU mode to do the more comprehensive DFU restore, there will be tons of articles out there that will do a better job of going through the steps than I will. Assume that it's the same steps for the 10th Generation iPad as for the fourth (2020) and fifth (2022) iPad Air models.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Plug the iPad into a computer. If it's a Mac, Finder will open and allow you to do a restore on it. If it's a PC, you'll need iTunes for Windows. If you need to get the iPad into DFU mode to do the more comprehensive DFU restore, there will be tons of articles out there that will do a better job of going through the steps than I will. Assume that it's the same steps for the 10th Generation iPad as for the fourth (2020) and fifth (2022) iPad Air models.
Don’t have issue with operation, it’s brand new and has only 13% available ram out of 4gb. It’s more along the line of preemptive knowledge. Even less now.
2F08FD3B-AA49-4DAC-A544-5E4C01D2D29D.jpeg

Romain_H

macrumors 6502
Sep 20, 2021
Don’t have issue with operation, it’s brand new and has only 13% available ram out of 4gb. It’s more along the line of preemptive knowledge. Even less now.
View attachment 2164004
You don't have to "reset" RAM. The OS does everything for you. If RAM is fully utilized - good! That's how its supposed to be.
It an App requires additional RAM, the OS will release the 5equired amount of memory as required, dynamically.

Reactions: addamas

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
What is the source of the screen shot? I've never seen a native comparative memory display in iPadOS. Neither iPadOS 16 or any other.
If you have downloaded some app that claims to be able to eg. "free up valuable memory" it's BS. As Romaine_H says above, the operating system does it all for you, allocating memory where and when required. So called "Performance Enhancer" or "Tune Up" apps are rubbish and a waste of money on both iOS, macOS and iPadOS.

Reactions: Ray=out

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
You don't have to "reset" RAM. The OS does everything for you. If RAM is fully utilized - good! That's how its supposed to be.
It an App requires additional RAM, the OS will release the 5equired amount of memory as required, dynamically.

Theoretically. In practice, not so much.

Sometimes, even after force closing apps, I still get tons of unwanted reloads or crashes and the only recourse is to hard reset the iPad.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
Okay, thanks to all, the app is (?) systems service from App Store, I am more of a mac person, have an iMac, Mack book pro, trashcan Mac Pro. I had a IPad mini 2 before buying this IPad 10th generation I am on now. I am big on weekly maintance and part of that is clearing my ram, I also for the most part don’t allow programs to run in background. I am a retired (disabled) engineer so have nothing but time. All my machines are clear and fast. Even my ipad mini, just was becoming difficult to run newer apps, but I also cleared ram weekly on that. When I us that procedure it only removes a little. Am looking for better. Sorry for long but thank you if you made it this far.

John Frahm

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 29, 2022
Portsmouth, Va.
What is the source of the screen shot? I've never seen a native comparative memory display in iPadOS. Neither iPadOS 16 or any other.
If you have downloaded some app that claims to be able to eg. "free up valuable memory" it's BS. As Romaine_H says above, the operating system does it all for you, allocating memory where and when required. So called "Performance Enhancer" or "Tune Up" apps are rubbish and a waste of money on both iOS, macOS and iPadOS.
On app store
A841F35C-1FAF-49B4-8725-81DEB50AD832.jpeg

Rodan52

macrumors 6502
What you have with Device System Services is an app that does no more than list device and system details most of which are available in the About section of General in System Settings. Personally I would doubt the reliability of any app that claims to be able display system performance data because Apple has actively blocked such apps. Obviously the three people who rated it 5 out of 5 think otherwise.
In any case the screen shot you posted shows you are using less than 50% RAM.
You should not be experiencing the problems you describe and as it is a new device I would suggest you take it back to Apple while still covered by Apple Care.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.