Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Boil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
What happened to iPadOS 17 having the ability to set-up and pairing the Apple Watch with an iPad...?

I thought that was rumored for iPadOS 17...?

I would rather have an Apple Watch Ultra & iPad mini combo for daily use than an Apple Watch & iPhone combo...

No, I don't want to have an iPhone that I just leave sitting at home...

No, I don't want an iPhone Pro Max, screen is still not as large as the iPad mini and I cannot use an Apple Pencil with it...

I want an Apple Watch Ultra for day-to-day cell phone usage, and an iPad mini for day-to-day reading/journal/sketchbook usage...

(...this is among the other normal usages one would have with an Apple Watch or iPad...)

Getting iPhone Pro 14 cameras on a new iPad mini Gen7 would be nice as well, along with an OLED ProMotion display...

Last edited:

iStorm

macrumors 68000
Sep 18, 2012
I never heard that rumor. The Health app is coming to the iPad in iPadOS 17, but that has nothing to do with the Apple Watch.

addamas

macrumors 65816
Apr 20, 2016
Facts are: There is no Apple Watch app for iPad for now.

But I agree it would probably even increase the number of sales of AW as many people have iPads but Android phones where AW is close to useless.

Apple added Weather app and now Health App with iPadOS 17 so who knows what will come next ;)

xxFoxtail

macrumors 6502a
Nov 8, 2015
NY
Ten versions of watchOS, I’m actually pretty surprised there’s not a way to use it completely standalone yet. I can understand the Series Apple Watches are very limited on battery if connected to cellular all day. With my personal testing, it seems like the Ultra can handle it - assuming I’m not talking on the phone or constantly streaming things.

Reactions: kylew1212

Boil

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Oct 23, 2018
Stargate Command
Ten versions of watchOS, I’m actually pretty surprised there’s not a way to use it completely standalone yet. I can understand the Series Apple Watches are very limited on battery if connected to cellular all day. With my personal testing, it seems like the Ultra can handle it - assuming I’m not talking on the phone or constantly streaming things.

I rarely use my cell phone for calls, but I would want the ability; so I feel an Ultra would be able to handle all-day usage (fitness/health/sleep monitoring/tracking) with an occasional voice call thrown in...

Everything else could be handled by the iPad mini...

Shirasaki

macrumors P6
May 16, 2015
I’ve also been baffled by that decision because I use iPad way more than iPhone today. I even keep forgetting to bring my iPhone when it is needed, but carries iPad around almost all the time. To me, it just makes no sense to not also have watch paring capability.

Reactions: kylew1212 and Boil
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.