Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Hi All

I have been using the iphone 12 for a while, then handed it down to my son. He has been using it without service, and the phone is in excellent condition.

Yesterday the phone died after being used throughout the day, and it refused to charge. It only says "1" on the battery, and 0% when on the charger. At this point the phone (within settings) is saying Unknown Part error- basically the battery might not be genuine.

I have never had the battery replaced, so not sure why this error came up. I was able to reset the phone (erase contents/settings) to start fresh, but I get the same error. Beyond this, I do not know what to do.

I can only assume the cost to repair is not worth it, I might be better off getting a newer phone, but I am curious if there is any way around this just in case there is a way to save the phone.

If anybody has any advice/suggestions I would greatly appreciate it!

AlexJ092

macrumors 6502
Apr 15, 2013
I had an error with the camera on my 13 pro max. It had an error showing in the settings stating that the camera was not a genuine Apple part. I contacted Apple via the support app and they replaced the phone no questions asked 😃. They did run diagnostics before they replaced but they must have been happy with the outcome of those tests.

solo118

macrumors 65816
Original poster
May 16, 2011
Thanks- problem is its an iphone 12 and out of warranty. should I still call?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.