Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Yes I am, it’s snappy got a beautiful screen and I like the cam. But it didn‘t age well:

- can’t do latest HDR
- can’t do 80% battery limit
- can’t do 24MP photos
- can’t run latest apple promoted games (resident evil etc)
- got now obsolete lightning connector

What do you think? Personally I never had an electronics device which aged so badly and it was one of the most expensive gadgets I ever bought.

Maybe next time I better get a non pro and a dedicated cam to get more out of my money.

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
My main complaints are about price (my 14 PM 512 was 1879€, 15 PM 512 is 1739) and usb-c.
Fully agree I didn't add this point cause this was IMO for europe only. This reinforced the feeling of having paid too much for the iphone.

metman888

macrumors member
Oct 19, 2022
I’m happy with mine still, still feels snappy, battery health still at 99%.

- I’m not bothered about the latest hdr
- I’d always charge to 100% anyway, I always charge once a day overnight and find the optimised charging feature works quite well.
- Never wanted to do a 24MP photo, I’m not a massive picture taker, I use it a bit for work but 24MP definitely isn’t needed for that.
- I don’t play games on my phone, any games I tend to use my iPad.
- The lightning connector does everything I ever need it to do which is charge my phone although I do understand the convenience of using 1 type of connector for charging all devices.

I’ll be keeping mine a while longer unless Apple surprise us with a killer feature on the next iPhone (unlikely). All this said I had planned to get the 15 Pro Max at launch but for Apple messing up my pre order. Wife’s got one though and after messing about with hers I’ve not found anything that I feel I’m missing out on.

Last edited:

JPack

macrumors G5
Mar 27, 2017
Depends on who you ask, but as a 14 and 15 owner, none of those features matter.

- What's the latest HDR?
- I've been charging to 80% manually for years and have a routine; don't need software
- I prefer 48MP HEIF Max shots for that extra tiny bit detail
- Not a gamer on iPhone, but I completely understand
- I use the USB-C/Lightning connector for charging only

Torty

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Oct 16, 2013
Depends on who you ask, but as a 14 and 15 owner, none of those features matter.

- What's the latest HDR?
- I've been charging to 80% manually for years and have a routine; don't need software
- I prefer 48MP HEIF Max shots for that extra tiny bit detail
- Not a gamer on iPhone, but I completely understand
- I use the USB-C/Lightning connector for charging only
Thanks for your feedback. Yes I am happy with the 48MP HEIF pics too.

winxmac

macrumors 65816
Sep 1, 2021
Still running iOS 16.7

How's speed of capture 48MP RAW vs 48MP HEIF

Apple should have switched to USB Type C back in 2020

They should have upgraded 14 series to Smart HDR 5 while 15 series gets 6

thadoggfather

macrumors P6
Oct 1, 2007
14 Pro Max has been fine.

Might not even be interested in upgrading this year, even with gift cards on standby.. but we'll see what happens

Wouldn’t be too hard to keep going though imo

Last edited:

The-Real-Deal82

macrumors P6
Jan 17, 2013
Wales, United Kingdom
I have a 14 Pro as a company phone but it’s pretty much the same as the 13 Pro Max I use for personal use. They both handle all tasks very well and highlight how unimportant yearly upgrading is in 2024.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Even with the great screen, I’m still unhappy with its photo capabilities and results. I prefer using the built in Camera app, but will sometimes use a third party app to get around Apples lousy processing algorithms.
I do like the 48 mp main lens. Frequently I’ll attach a 2x lens to that to help get a little closer and have more pixels to crop with.
The 80% battery charging is good to have.
I’m planning to stick with it until the 17 comes out. If there’s nothing killer on the 17, I might get the 16 at the end of 2025/beginning of 2026.

jagolden

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2002
Yes I am, it’s snappy got a beautiful screen and I like the cam. But it didn‘t age well:

- can’t do latest HDR
- can’t do 80% battery limit
- can’t do 24MP photos
- can’t run latest apple promoted games (resident evil etc)
- got now obsolete lightning connector

What do you think? Personally I never had an electronics device which aged so badly and it was one of the most expensive gadgets I ever bought.

Maybe next time I better get a non pro and a dedicated cam to get more out of my money.
It does do 80% charging.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.